The New LoveShack.org: Discuss the update and quirks/features here

Just now, Prudence V said:

Some stuff is less intuitive, and needs getting used to, but overall I far prefer the new site. I’ve noticed I’m spending much more time on the site since the reboot. 

Glad you find it an overall improvement, Prudence V! There's some little quirks we're still working through and making changes with, but I agree with you that this experience is a net gain.

1 minute ago, Prudence V said:

I noticed that posts no longer automatically merge when you’re the last person to have posted, and you replay to someone else. I thought that was pretty cool, so I’m sad it’s gone, but maybe it would have gotten irritating if there were major changes in tone, say, between an earlier response and a later one, that all got lumped into one past, so that the tone got misread.

I was personally an original fan of this behavior, until I had a fight with it in this very thread.

While a nice feature, I think it's better for the site to behave as as you intended. In other words, if I hit new reply, I expect a new reply; if I click edit, I expect an edit. As such, we increased the time you can edit posts, regardless of whether or not you're the last poster, and turned that behavior off.

This way, if you meant to append something to a post, you can choose to edit it and if you're intending to create a new reply (perhaps directed to another poster, as was my personal case here), you can choose to compose a new reply and know that the end result will be exactly what you expected when you press submit.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, SummerDreams said:

Am I blind or are the letters too small?

You're not the first person to mention this and we're taking a look at different ways we can address this. Thanks for the feedback, SummerDreams!

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Paul said:

we increased the time you can edit posts, regardless of whether or not you're the last poster

I ❤️ that! It used to drive me mad when I saw typos /autocorrect evils sneak through and then clicked edit, only to find someone else had posted a reply as I was editing, and my edits got foiled! 

I’m sure people who are less anal about spelling / grammar etc are more chilled about it, but us pedants are very grateful! 

• Like 3
CautiouslyOptimistic
1 hour ago, Paul said:

we increased the time you can edit posts, regardless of whether or not you're the last poster, and turned that behavior off.

Thank you!  What's the time limit?

• Author
4 hours ago, nospam99 said:

LOL because I agree with chillii way too much and too often. IIRC (on the old system) at least once I referred to him as my 'brother from another mother'.

I agree that I prefer the old system. Water under the bridge. TL/DR summary of my observations follows.

It took a while for me to work out all the functionality. But I can:
- read posts
- start new topics
- go to the first unseen by me post in a topic (although it looks like when a topic gets moved to a different category my 'bookmark' gets lost)

That's enough function for the site to be useful to me.

What I can't do anymore (in some instances because I run with javascript off):
- see my or someone else's Likes history and thus link to the profile of someone who has given a particular person (ME!) a Like
- see my or someone else's posts per day average
- see my full PM history
- distinguish sent and received PMs from each other
- go to the first unseen by me (something like View First Unread on the old system) from within as open topic
- see the post index and thus easily tell whether or not I'm at the beginning of the topic

I don't like the display features of the new User Interface (UI) at all. Too much whitespace for me resulting in too much scrolling. More links to follow than on the old system in order to navigate to certain specific information.

My other 'peculiarity' (I prefer to consider it a skill :D ) is that I touch type, not just the QWERTY part of the keyboard, but the row of numbers and punctuation keys, all (caps lock, alpha shift, function shift, control shift, option shift, alt shift, command shift, numeric shift) the shift keys, and the delete, backspace, and 'arrow' keys, too. Any UI that makes me take my fingers off the home keys to use a 'pointing device' sux. I find that happens more often on the new system.

I second the notion that I can't see someone else's like history nor my own, or how many I have any more. I like the site overall, but just not that. 

Just this morning this was still working, but now the notifications Bell is not showing up on Android. The number of notifications is still visible over the menu but when that window opens up there is no notification Bell.

Hi preraph,

1 hour ago, preraph said:

Just this morning this was still working, but now the notifications Bell is not showing up on Android. The number of notifications is still visible over the menu but when that window opens up there is no notification Bell.

I threw in fresh pellets into the gerbil containment unit this morning. Try refreshing the page and see if it comes back now.

Best,
Paul

• Like 1
2 hours ago, preraph said:

Is yours working Preraph? I don’t have the bell or any access to my PMs. ☹️ I’m on iPhone. 

• Author
59 minutes ago, K.K. said:

Is yours working Preraph? I don’t have the bell or any access to my PMs. ☹️ I’m on iPhone. 

The notification bell doesn't appear until you've been quoted or someone reacts to a post. That's what I've seen on my iPhone. There are three dashes on the upper right side of the screen and it will appear as a red circle with your number of notifications within the circle. Click on it, and then the bell will appear in a box to the left.  

I'm showing that I have four some kind of notifications and usually if I would hit that, then it would take me to the messages and the like bell, but so far those new gerbils are not working. I know I've got the likes or messages but I can't get to them. It was working this morning.

No, mine doesn’t work. I can only get the notification or pm if I’m actually sitting on here and active and it comes up in a  box on the screen. I can’t get to any of the others. 

Edited by K.K.
  • Like 1

I went on the PC so I could get mine.  I remember during the testing, it was like this and then got fixed.  Sounds like it just got messed up.  I have every faith that Paul will fix it.

• Like 1

Two of the gerbils tried to escape. We lured them back with caffeinated chocolate balls. 🐹🍫

Unrelated follow up question: does anyone know if it's okay to feed gerbils caffeinated chocolate balls? 🤔

• Like 1
mark clemson

Not sure if it's possible, but adding a few additional post-response emotes (along with Like, Sad, Thanks, etc) might be nice. I've felt the need several times for a "Sympathy" emote and Sad isn't quite doing it for me. I suspect you don't want to get too carried away, but since we have them (and they're pretty cool!), maybe consider beefing them up even a bit more?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Bittersweetie

Is there still a way to see what topics within a forum I've posted in? There used to be a little icon next to the topic. My mind is not what it once was, and I forget where I've posted...and I like to circle back to check for responses. Thank you.

P.S. I just noticed the "Notify me of replies" icon at the bottom of the reply area...is this the replacement for that notification? 

On 1/7/2020 at 10:27 AM, mark clemson said:

Not sure if it's possible, but adding a few additional post-response emotes (along with Like, Sad, Thanks, etc) might be nice. I've felt the need several times for a "Sympathy" emote and Sad isn't quite doing it for me. I suspect you don't want to get too carried away, but since we have them (and they're pretty cool!), maybe consider beefing them up even a bit more?

This is a great idea, and @Wynn and I were just talking about it this the other day. We'll see what we can do!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bittersweetie said:

Is there still a way to see what topics within a forum I've posted in? There used to be a little icon next to the topic. My mind is not what it once was, and I forget where I've posted...and I like to circle back to check for responses. Thank you.

P.S. I just noticed the "Notify me of replies" icon at the bottom of the reply area...is this the replacement for that notification? 

@Bittersweetie, you can see all threads you've participated in the Activity Streams. From the menu, it's at Activity & More > My Activity Streams > Content I posted in. 

Here's a direct link:
https://www.loveshack.org/discover/content-posted/

The notify me of replies switch when replying will toggle whether or not you'll get a notification when someone replies to a thread. You can also adjust this by clicking on "Following" at the top and bottom of each thread. Depending on the options you choose, you can get an e-mail when someone replies, or simply see a notification in the little bell icon notification area at the top of the site if you don't want the e-mails.

You can adjust your default preferences by clicking on your account name in the upper right, go to Account Settings and then Notification Settings. Here's another direct link:
https://www.loveshack.org/notifications/options/

Hope that helps!

Edited by Paul
Somehow submitted before I finished typing....
  • Like 1
mark clemson
17 hours ago, Paul said:

This is a great idea, and @Wynn and I were just talking about it this the other day. We'll see what we can do!

Awesome - one suggestion would be an "acknowledged" type emote. I (and I suspect many folks) use Like for this, but Like sort of implies I agree. Probably you've already thought of this, but mentioning just in case...

• Thanks 1
CautiouslyOptimistic
1 hour ago, mark clemson said:

Awesome - one suggestion would be an "acknowledged" type emote. I (and I suspect many folks) use Like for this, but Like sort of implies I agree. Probably you've already thought of this, but mentioning just in case...

I think the "thanks" emoji (even though it looks like a trophy) is intended for this, no?

Hmmm. Was waiting for a Mod response. If someone disagrees with me and I respect their opinion (but still disagree) I just want to acknowledge their post, I don't generally want to say thanks. More like "I hear you" or "that's fine and you're welcome (sincerely) to your own view". It's a bit hard to get a good one word phrase for.  "Acknowledged" works although it's pretty dry sounding somehow.

Under the old system I used likes for this, but likes imply that I agree with what they said.

I can of course just respond or simply ignore, but I do like to acknowledge sincere responses with differences of opinion and figured an emote like this could save some time/posts (if a good Emote can be figured out).

Edited by mark clemson
  • Like 1