Why are people trying to date right now?

I understand doing your best to maintain existing relationships, but I'm seeing several posts about pursuing online connections that haven't really been established.  

I guess I'm better at being alone than most people, I'm neither bored nor lonely, just looking forward to eventually getting back to my normal activities and face to face connections with family and friends.  I just don't get trying to establish new connections right now when we have no idea when we can actually meet up with other people again.  Hopefully it will only be a few months, and it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to just put the search on hold for that period.    

Clearly there are other ideas on this, I'm just curious about them.

• Like 3
poppyfields

Just chiming in to say I echo your question FMW, I don't quite get it either.

Unless you're okay with establishing an on-line connection for a few months and then meeting.

People who meet on line who live a long distance away from each other have been doing that for years, but many now are not willing, nor even want to do that and end up complaining that they can't meet! 

If that's how you feel, best to wait until this monster virus passes, then get back on line again.  

Edited by poppyfields

good question. It's not the end of the world. Me personally would be focused on being positive and stay in contact with friends and family.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Ruby Slippers said:

Lonely and horny, I'm guessing. 

there is big difference between lonely and horny and lonely, horney, with covid 19

• Like 4
Wanderlust2018

Because hopefully, and speaking for myself, there’s a drive and human spirit in large part, to adapt and overcome. That  and people are generally social creatures.  

Whats the worst thing that could happen by exchanging emails, txts or phone calls with a potential partner? So you get creative (I’ve heard of several friends doing Zoom happy hours with each person remoting in from home for example) and a bit more time to get to know them. Dating was a lot more like this (pace wise at least) in the past anyway, before the Internet and cell phones came along. 

Good grief, it isn’t like the virus is going to leap through your smart phone, tablet or laptop...

...and I’m a person that enjoys their alone time and solitude just fine. 

• Like 3
simpycurious

Cause they need a workout partner.  Someone to count reps, time them in the 40....you know couple stuff

poppyfields
1 hour ago, simpycurious said:

Cause they need a workout partner.  Someone to count reps, time them in the 40....you know couple stuff

Lol, if only life were so simple.  :p

simpycurious
7 minutes ago, poppyfields said:

Lol, if only life were so simple.  :p

why can't it be?? 

poppyfields
20 minutes ago, simpycurious said:

why can't it be?? 

It can be simp, and hope someday it "will" be!  I'll never lose sight of that dream. 

Edited by poppyfields
  • Like 1

Interesting. I've had 'match' switched off for weeks anyway because I was seeing someone, and now because I like to meet someone fairly soon after connecting online, but it might be an interesting way to get to know a kindred spirit during this pandemic. Soon show up whether the person has qualities I admire or not. And presumably vice versa?

Edited by Ellener
wording
  • Like 2
Fletch Lives

Yeah, I don't think you should be meeting new people right now if you don't have to. You are going to catch cooties! 😛 Dating is a luxury, but this is an emergency.

I do think it's okay to catfish, make penpals and phone buddies if you wish.

• Like 1

Some just aren't taking the threat seriously and are just continuing to live their lives pre-COVID 19. But hell, if they both have cooties anyway, what 'cha got to lose? 

simpycurious
8 hours ago, Ellener said:

Interesting. I've had 'match' switched off for weeks anyway because I was seeing someone, and now because I like to meet someone fairly soon after connecting online, but it might be an interesting way to get to know a kindred spirit during this pandemic. Soon show up whether the person has qualities I admire or not. And presumably vice versa?

I do think that you can get to know someone during this crazy time.  Plenty of time for many to talk/communicate for a long time and share with one another.  

• Thanks 1
simpycurious
13 hours ago, poppyfields said:

It can be simp, and hope someday it "will" be!  I'll never lose sight of that dream. 

Once again.....please listen.  It should NOT merely be a dream for YOU.  

• Thanks 1
poppyfields
17 minutes ago, simpycurious said:

Once again.....please listen.  It should NOT merely be a dream for YOU.  

Thanks simp, I read your original post, but it seems it disappeared?  Not sure why.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement, it's a work in progress but I'm getting there! 

It's all good.  :)

simpycurious
11 minutes ago, poppyfields said:

Thanks simp, I read your original post, but it seems it disappeared?  Not sure why.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement, it's a work in progress but I'm getting there! 

It's all good.  :)

I don't think you are suppose to make posts directed at one person which I did but it can also be a universal encouragement as well.  It was meant in an endearing way not a negative way.

On topic, people will FIND A WAY to date even if it's in a virtual sense.  The old adage..."where there's a will, there's a way" ALWAYS applies to those that are motivated enough.  

Edited by simpycurious
  • Like 1