I think my friend is getting catfished

He has been talking to a girl for a year he found on a dating site. He never met her but said he talked to her one time but they text and chat all the time. He's sent her over $20,000 and is in credit card and loan debt because of her. It sounds fishy to me.

• Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

Send her $200 would be fishy.  $20,000 he's been the victim of a scam.  Your friend is a fool.  

• Like 4

If he was dumb enough to send anyone that kind of money, let alone someone he's never met in person, then nothing we can say will help the guy.  

• Like 1
  • Author
13 hours ago, CaliforniaGirl said:

TWENTY grand???

HONEY.

It's actually more. But I stopped at this point. Yeah. It's sad. You guys are right.

23 hours ago, Letschill said:

He has been talking to a girl for a year he found on a dating site. He never met her but said he talked to her one time but they text and chat all the time. He's sent her over $20,000 and is in credit card and loan debt because of her. It sounds fishy to me.

that's because it is... he's being catfished, but you won't be able to talk him out of it.

Best you can do is investigate her and build a solid case that she is not who she says she is and present it to him. If it doesn't convince him, then you'll have to let it go because it's not your money.

If you're running firefox, download the Google image search add on--and try to get her pictures and trace where they originated from. 

Go on romance scammer sites and see if her pictures pop up there... also, there are facebook groups devoted to outting romance scammers--try to find those.

• Like 1
  • Author
3 hours ago, kendahke said:

that's because it is... he's being catfished, but you won't be able to talk him out of it.

Best you can do is investigate her and build a solid case that she is not who she says she is and present it to him. If it doesn't convince him, then you'll have to let it go because it's not your money.

If you're running firefox, download the Google image search add on--and try to get her pictures and trace where they originated from. 

Go on romance scammer sites and see if her pictures pop up there... also, there are facebook groups devoted to outting romance scammers--try to find those.

I'm not doing all that. It's his business. Was just asking. I hope he figures it out. 

Report it to Western Union and you might call the police and find out what they recommend. Sometimes they will shut this type stuff down even though they can never usually find the person who's scamming.

Cookiesandough

I’ve known people in the same situation. If you told them, then that’s all you can do. And you really should tell him, since he’s been most likely swindled out of 20 grand. Present evidence and argue your case, but remember: Some people are so steeped in denial they can’t be helped. People who send $ to complete strangers usually fall under this category. They are mostly happy in their delusional little bubble. You don’t really want to be the one to burst it. 

Edited by Cookiesandough

There's an app called goggle, take the photo and see what happens....if the photo is used under multiple profiles, under different names on different sites, show him the results.

Edited by smackie9
  • Author
On 5/17/2020 at 2:41 PM, Cookiesandough said:

I’ve known people in the same situation. If you told them, then that’s all you can do. And you really should tell him, since he’s been most likely swindled out of 20 grand. Present evidence and argue your case, but remember: Some people are so steeped in denial they can’t be helped. People who send $ to complete strangers usually fall under this category. They are mostly happy in their delusional little bubble. You don’t really want to be the one to burst it. 

Yeah. I'm over it. He's totally in love. I'm not telling him anything. We had a big blow out about it. 

• Shocked 1
On 5/23/2020 at 4:21 AM, Letschill said:

Yeah. I'm over it. He's totally in love. I'm not telling him anything. We had a big blow out about it. 

Pussy will make a man do crazy things..

• Like 1
Cookiesandough

Bahaha no wiser words spoken ..,

I am not surprised at all, letsgo. You did your part, good man 

You can do Google Image search from any browser, certainly from Google.  It's real easy to use, but only if you have a photo of her, of course.  

simpycurious
On 5/12/2020 at 1:47 PM, Letschill said:

Sent over?  As in to the continent of Africa perhaps????  I have given away a fair amount of money over the years but NEVER out of the country and certainly to someone that I do not really know.  Honestly, How does this happen?  Is this guy so desperate to find someone that he allows himself to manipulated?  I know that sounds callous on my part and I don't mean it as such but come on..............