Foot and mouth virus is an air borne virus with  distant spread reported as far as 50km on land and 200km by sea.

I am not sure we could catalogue airborne spread for this virus so accurately as spreaders can be asymptomatic, there are no obvious lesions, and our countries are so populated and travel so common.

• Author
10 hours ago, gaius said:

Maybe we should start forcing people who won't wear masks to go volunteer in a Covid ward for a few days. Give them a dose of reality about what they're really contributing to. 

I used to be in Texas on a semi regular basis for my old job and always enjoyed the people and vibe there. Was always envious Buc-ees has 10x the gas pumps any of our stations do. Sorry to hear you're starting to get hit hard preraph.

Yes, volunteering would take the chip of their shoulders real quick.  I am fine with people trying to get back to work but everyone needs to be wearing masks and social distancing, and then those of us who aren't safe doing it, if we don't have to, we won't.  But now it's just a bunch of macho jerks flipping people off and thinking they're tough.  

You know, I haven't yet been to Buckees!  I need to go sometime and just see what all they have.  I drive a Prius, so I rarely need to fill up on the road.  I like Dallas for the most part.  It's just the political atmosphere that is creating so many problems, unnecessary divides on this virus.  It's foolish on both sides.  People need to use common sense.  I guess everyone is cranky from cabin fever and money worries.  

sothereiwas
11 hours ago, gaius said:

Maybe we should start forcing people who won't wear masks to go volunteer in a Covid ward for a few days.

I'll go if I get paid, should be easy, since we have no cases ....

• Like 1
17 hours ago, BC1980 said:

Everyone wearing a mask seems to be the way to go. I read that if two people are wearing masks, there is only a 5% transmission rate between those 2 people. Maybe if everyone wore a mask this thing would go away. 

Actually:

If  you wear a mask and you come across a carrier that does not wear one, your risk is 70% of catching it

If you don't wear a mask and  you come across a carrier that does wear a mask,  your risk is 5% of catching it

If you wear a mask and come across a carrier that also wears a mask then your risk is 1.5% of catching it

• Like 2
  • Author

People have to worry about it coming in through their eyes as well, and the problem lies there.  Wearing a mask with glasses fogs up the glasses real bad.  So I worry most about not having something covering my eyes.  I am wondering if goggles also get fogged up, and I guess they probably do.  

I wear glasses when I'm not at work, and I had to really form the mask to the bridge of my nose. That created a seal that didn't fog up my glasses. Of course, it made it more uncomfortable to breathe, but I guess that was the point. 

sothereiwas
25 minutes ago, preraph said:

People have to worry about it coming in through their eyes as well, and the problem lies there.  Wearing a mask with glasses fogs up the glasses real bad.  So I worry most about not having something covering my eyes.  I am wondering if goggles also get fogged up, and I guess they probably do.  

Well, I do have a 3M 6000 Series full face respirator setup, which would probably afford me some protection (and attention) but the fact that it is equipped with an exhaust valve would make it less protective for others, just like my N95 masks. I'll have to look, but I think the full face might actually have some minor screen/filter on the exhaust. Never really wondered. It does breathe really nicely. 

Or ... could always break out the NATO chemwar setup. Also have valves for exhalation though.

• Like 1
mark clemson

This is all just my opinion, but I personally think wearing a mask anytime you're outside is overkill/unduly restrictive. I could see this making some sense in a population-dense urban areas, but much less so in e.g. a 1980's style suburb, parks or wooded areas, etc, unless they're highly trafficked areas.

IF they start saying you can get infectious doses from people breathing e.g. 20 feet away, then maybe it would make more sense. Right now 6 ft is considered "appropriate" social distancing, if I'm not mistaken, with the mask being a supplement to that.

Enforcing a mask in heavily trafficked enclosed spaces such as stores/restaurants or even in e.g. urban city blocks at least seems to have some reasonable cause for the regulation (until the virus has fully circulated through the population and/or there are vaccines, etc).

We have some N-95 masks,  but they are uncomfortable.  They dig in on my nose.  My sister made me a mask that has lobsters on it.  Her husband has a commercial lobster business.  Very stylish. lol  It's much more comfortable though.  If I'm going to be around more people I'll wear the N-95 mask.

On a side note.  It's possible that the virus can enter thru the eyes without you touching them.  So even if you wear a mask and come in contact with air particles containing the virus it could enter your body thru your eyes.  Maybe goggles or full face shields are the next thing to wear.

I was in a Firehouse Sub today getting a couple of subs and all the workers wore masks, but were only covering their mouths.  Noses were fully exposed.  Luckily I didn't see anyone sneeze on my sub.  Didn't want any Covid-19 with my Meatball sub. 🥴

Edited by Piddy
Happy Lemming
3 hours ago, Gaeta said:

Actually:

If  you wear a mask and you come across a carrier that does not wear one, your risk is 70% of catching it

If you don't wear a mask and  you come across a carrier that does wear a mask,  your risk is 5% of catching it

If you wear a mask and come across a carrier that also wears a mask then your risk is 1.5% of catching it

This is interesting... Can you site the source??

Please and Thank You!!

36 minutes ago, Happy Lemming said:

This is interesting... Can you site the source??

Please and Thank You!!

I am discovering these statistics are non official and controversial. That will teach me to stop posting when I don't have time to double check the source.

https://www.live5news.com/2020/04/29/fact-or-fiction-mask-infographic-regarding-covid-transmission-chances/

• Thanks 1

I've seen the infographic with that information.

According to this report, The CDC told the AP they did not make the graphic, and that "there's no current data that can quantify how much wearing a mask reduces the risk of contracting the coronavirus."

https://www.live5news.com/2020/04/29/fact-or-fiction-mask-infographic-regarding-covid-transmission-chances/

CaliforniaGirl

It frustrates me to see this because those maskless people aren't being brave and tough, they're endangering me and my kids, not themselves.

We went for a walk last weekend in town and were careful to give others a wide berth but were on one sidewalk where a couple and their dogs were literally standing in the middle of the sidewalk and (this was weird) they were just watching us approach with this very friendly smile on their faces. They had no masks on. We couldn't just walk into the street (cars). We had to actually almost brush against them. I mean literally...they stood next to each other, then the dogs on either side of them, LOL...to take up the entire sidewalk. Watching us and smiling.

I felt like leaning down and breathing on their dogs.

Other than a few utter freaks most people have been more or less okay around here.

5 hours ago, preraph said:

I've been making masks and found that inserting nose wire helps keep the glasses less foggy

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, CaliforniaGirl said:

It frustrates me to see this because those maskless people aren't being brave and tough, they're endangering me and my kids, not themselves.

We went for a walk last weekend in town and were careful to give others a wide berth but were on one sidewalk where a couple and their dogs were literally standing in the middle of the sidewalk and (this was weird) they were just watching us approach with this very friendly smile on their faces. They had no masks on. We couldn't just walk into the street (cars). We had to actually almost brush against them. I mean literally...they stood next to each other, then the dogs on either side of them, LOL...to take up the entire sidewalk. Watching us and smiling.

I felt like leaning down and breathing on their dogs.

Other than a few utter freaks most people have been more or less okay around here.

I don't get it either. Wearing a mask is an incredibly small price to pay to try to get things back to normal. 

• Like 2
CaliforniaGirl
18 minutes ago, basil67 said:

I've been making masks and found that inserting nose wire helps keep the glasses less foggy

Me too! That wire has saved the day for me. It was getting very Jason Voorhees in there for a while.

greymatter

Some nurses say that washing one’s glasses before putting them on with a mask helps with the fogging issue. Maybe the soap rinse is what helps. I haven’t tried it so am just posting with no personal experience with this, please forgive me, LOL.

• Like 1

Soap is abrasive and can scratch the hell out of your glasses.  Sadly speaking from experience.

I just make sure I have on my contacts before going grocery shopping.  I only went once with the glasses, finally found it was manageable if I slid the glasses down enough to hold down the top edge of the mask.  But those were my larger framed glasses, the rectangular ones that were in style several years ago definitely wouldn't work.   

35 minutes ago, greymatter said:

Some nurses say that washing one’s glasses before putting them on with a mask helps with the fogging issue. Maybe the soap rinse is what helps. I haven’t tried it so am just posting with no personal experience with this, please forgive me, LOL.

No idea if it works for this scenario but when diving you spit in your mask and rub it over the inside surface and that prevents fogging.

• Like 2
  • Author

I'm using disposable masks I bought for the moment. I don't know if there's a way to put a wire in them or not.

There is zero scientific data showing that masks help in not transmitting a virus.

It is pseudo science.  There is research showing it does not help though

There is much more I can get into about mask wearing but am not since no one is going to want to hear any of it

as no one keeps an open mind about learning anymore

If you want the scientific truth search for it, it is out there.

Happy Lemming
23 hours ago, Juha said:

There is zero scientific data showing that masks help in not transmitting a virus.

If masks did not prevent the spread of the virus, wouldn't 100% of the nurses and doctors (who worked the COVID-19 patients) test positive??

• Like 3
CaliforniaGirl
23 hours ago, Juha said:

It is pseudo science.  There is research showing it does not help though

There is much more I can get into about mask wearing but am not since no one is going to want to hear any of it

as no one keeps an open mind about learning anymore

If you want the scientific truth search for it, it is out there.

Where is the research showing it doesn't help? If it has no effect I would think this is a pretty potent virus, since doctor's offices rely on just those paper things during regular flu season. That's not scientific, just an observation.

47 minutes ago, Happy Lemming said:

If masks did not prevent the spread of the virus, wouldn't 100% of the nurses and doctors (who worked the COVID-19 patients) test positive??

Right.  If masks and washing hands weren't effective, we'd be having the numbers of cases and deaths that we were trying to avoid by implementing the measures we've been taking . . . and China would be in worse shape and South Korea, et al.  The numbers are lower because of the measures we've been taking PERIOD.  Too bad we didn't start sooner.