eleanorrigby
2 hours ago, Snow_Queen said:

What does one do if you have anxiety over wearing masks? I feel like I am some kind of monster because wearing a mask makes me feel suffocated. It then causes panic attacks.

Many businesses won’t provide service if you’re unmasked. I will soon need someone to go to the store for me. The only advice I have come across is to stay home at all times. That becomes depressing.

No one else around me seems to have this problem. It really makes me feel alone.

I'm not at the point of panic attacks, but I find it very difficult to breathe as well. It's hot and suffocating and I constantly need to pull the mask away from my face to catch a few breathes of air when I start to feel dizzy. And I know touching it is defeating the purpose, so overall this kind of sucks because like you, I don't see any alternative. Meds are out of the question.. I had not thought of aromatherapy inside the mask, I have a few essential oils so I'll give that a shot.

• Author

I've actually read that people with my condition any kind of COPD shouldn't even be wearing masks for very long because it does make it harder to breathe. But I'm not going anywhere where the mask has to stay on forever like work. I can get back in my car and take it off.

• Like 1
heartwhole2
21 minutes ago, eleanorrigby said:

I'm not at the point of panic attacks, but I find it very difficult to breathe as well. It's hot and suffocating and I constantly need to pull the mask away from my face to catch a few breathes of air when I start to feel dizzy. And I know touching it is defeating the purpose, so overall this kind of sucks because like you, I don't see any alternative. Meds are out of the question.. I had not thought of aromatherapy inside the mask, I have a few essential oils so I'll give that a shot.

I find that the masks with a seam in the middle (not sure how to describe it, but it comes to a point over your nose) are more breathable and also tighten to the sides of my face better. 

• Thanks 1
sothereiwas
2 hours ago, preraph said:

I've actually read that people with my condition any kind of COPD shouldn't even be wearing masks for very long because it does make it harder to breathe. But I'm not going anywhere where the mask has to stay on forever like work. I can get back in my car and take it off.

They look a little goofy but the heavy duty 3M type respirators (like painters use) really breathe nice and easy. They're made for people to wear while working. 

Edited by sothereiwas
Phrasing
major_merrick

I dislike tight spaces, and having something on my face wouldn't be fun.  So I just stay home!  I haven't been out since February (I think?) and I'm getting some serious cabin fever.  But if I was gonna go out, I'd probably wear a HAZMAT suit and a full NBC gas mask.  I'm pregnant and having some health issues, so I won't take chances.  But if I was healthy and not pregnant and normal?  I wouldn't give a damn.  Drink vodka, eat honey, and ditch the mask. 

The big problem I see with the N95 masks is that the average person doesn't know how to stay clean and wear them right.  My husband tells me stories of seeing people touching their faces and adjusting the mask every 20 seconds or so.  At that point, the mask basically does them no good.  Might be better off with a full face shield like you wear when grinding metal.