Vitamin D deficiency impacts mortality rates in Covid 19 patients

I used to love the sun when I was young and was out in a lot, but the older I got the more heat killed me. And of course being overweight just makes it worse, but my mom was like that too and you couldn't really call her overweight for her age. There's a reason for it when you're overweight, a legit vascular reason, but I think they're still other things we don't understand about it.

If old people can still even walk, they're doing good. And it is beneficial on many levels. It helps with arthritis to a certain extent except that it is still just more wear and tear on your joints. Probably best used in conjunction with no impact exercises when one has arthritis. 

My breathing got worse during this pandemic just from laying in bed too much and all that settling in my chest. No deep breathing. I'm trying to make myself stay up a lot more. Hopefully work will start back up and then I'll at least be sitting instead of laying down.

Edited by preraph
  • Like 1
CaliforniaGirl

Sun just didn't help me. If daily walks in a 350+ full sun index days/year locale plus daily playing outside with my kids still left me with a D reading in the teens then nothing except moving to Mercury was going to do it. :D 

stillafool
4 hours ago, sothereiwas said:

Some research suggests that low D also might contribute to higher cholesterol, although the precise mechanism wasn't identified last I looked. One theory is that since D is synthesised from cholesterol there might be a feedback loop that triggers higher cholesterol if the levels of D are too low. 

Funny, but my last physical my physician said my cholesterol results were optimum.  He can't figure me out.

• Like 1
stillafool
4 hours ago, preraph said:

I used to love the sun when I was young and was out in a lot, but the older I got the more heat killed me. 

I did too but now I just cannot take the sun anymore or heat at all.  I feel like I'm going to die when I get too hot.  I'm starting to hate summer.  I don't know where to move to and I read it was like 80 degrees in the Arctic today.  Nowhere to go to escape it anymore.  I feel sorry for young people.

• Like 1

I'd feel like a caged animal if I was a young person today. I was out running wild the most of my childhood in the woods and on horses and scooters. 

Heat would literally kill me. tonight there's thunderstorms and electricity will probably go out and it's a little too warm for comfort. So I'm nervous.

• Like 1

Vitamin D deficiency is the hot new thing. It's kind of a fad. Researchers are trying to link a lot of stuff to it, but who knows if any of it's accurate? Obesity is the big thing people have been trying to link it to recently. Many, many people are vitamin D deficient. 

Edited by BC1980
stillafool
50 minutes ago, preraph said:

I'd feel like a caged animal if I was a young person today. I was out running wild the most of my childhood in the woods and on horses and scooters. 

Heat would literally kill me. tonight there's thunderstorms and electricity will probably go out and it's a little too warm for comfort. So I'm nervous.

Yeah I grew up in the country and was always running around on the farm when I was a kid and driving pickups when I was a teen.  Outside all day, swimming, hiking, partying, etc., now I can't stay half an hour at a family reunion without going inside where the a/c is running.  I liken myself to an old car whose engine runs hot.

stillafool
53 minutes ago, BC1980 said:

Vitamin D deficiency is the hot new thing. It's kind of a fad. Researchers are trying to link a lot of stuff to it, but who knows if any of it's accurate? Obesity is the big thing people have been trying to link it to recently. Many, many people are vitamin D deficient. 

Well I've been on it for 15 years.  Maybe it's a fad among young folks.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, stillafool said:

Yeah I grew up in the country and was always running around on the farm when I was a kid and driving pickups when I was a teen.  Outside all day, swimming, hiking, partying, etc., now I can't stay half an hour at a family reunion without going inside where the a/c is running.  I liken myself to an old car whose engine runs hot.

Have your heart checked out. When I went on blood thinners last June, the heat still hurt me and still does, but I don't think it's quite as bad as it used to be. So I think the blood thinners helped and also controlling the atrial fibrillation. I have one chamber not working properly. So anything affecting your circulation including obesity which I definitely have, can be a contributing factor.

But also, it's also about being weather hardened. The more you're out in it, the more used to it your body gets supposedly.

• Author
1 hour ago, BC1980 said:

Obesity has always been linked to many health issues...aka..obesity health related issues. Been this way since obesity existed. It's become common knowledge. Que the memes of, "I was....<blank> before it was cool!"

Edited by QuietRiot
  • Like 1
stillafool
10 hours ago, preraph said:

Have your heart checked out. When I went on blood thinners last June, the heat still hurt me and still does, but I don't think it's quite as bad as it used to be. So I think the blood thinners helped and also controlling the atrial fibrillation. I have one chamber not working properly. So anything affecting your circulation including obesity which I definitely have, can be a contributing factor.

But also, it's also about being weather hardened. The more you're out in it, the more used to it your body gets supposedly.

When I had my last physical my heart was fine.  I've been going through this since/after menopause.  I'm just damn hot, I think some of it may be due to arthritis drugs too. I keep asking my doctors why and they look at me like I have a third eye like "what do you expect?"  I'll try to spend more time out in it and try to become accustomed.  One thing I was living in southern CA (drier climate) for 25 years and then I moved back to my home state that is very humid.

Humidity is so punishing. I'm on NSAIDs to but I can't remember if the heat was already killing me before them or not. I switched high last June. So I guess it could figure in. But I already know before it's even that hot outside that the heat is going to hurt me. Heat stroke is real!

• Like 1
CaliforniaGirl
On 5/22/2020 at 5:53 PM, BC1980 said:

I don't think it's strange at all. Even as compared to when I was a child in the 70s/80s people are outside much less. Especially kids...we have to make a point of getting kids outside. But adults too. When we are outside we're often making a point of it or have it as part of our identity ("I'm a cyclist," "I hike") and we always have sunscreen on and often additional physical coverings (hats, etc.). We don't sit around on lawn chairs In summer "getting sun" like our parents did. In early Gen X and prior we had a lot more unobstructed sun hitting us directly all year round, even in winter when I remember even in my frigid neck of the woods getting out any non-blizzard above-20 degree day to turn our faces gratefully to the sun.

I don't think 21st century D deficiency is a fad, I think it's a thing.

ETA: with that said I do have chronic D deficiency which my endo believes is tied into my thyroid disease...which is apparently genetic. I was carried by a lifelong hypothyroid unmediated (usually...off and on) mother. Bad start, issues had a reasonable chance of ensuing and they did. Sun unfortunately is not my answer but being D deficient I've done a lot of research on it as my initial reaction to the DX was to try to treat it naturally.

Edited by CaliforniaGirl
25andcounting

Most Americans are Vitamin D deficient.  I take 4000 units a day and my husband takes 2000.  I have an autoimmune disease which renders me lower.    Your body cannot absorb large quantities like 50,000 at one time.    One rheumatologist had me on that and the second and third doctors disagreed.   I feel better taking smaller doses daily.   

Many immunocompromised people are low in Vitamin D.   Covid attacks those who are health risks worse than others.   

stillafool
3 minutes ago, 25andcounting said:

Your body cannot absorb large quantities like 50,000 at one time.

Well I've never felt so good since they put me on that quantity.  

My dad took a prescription megadose of Vitamin D.  The problem was that he wasn't naturally absorbing the normal amounts that we all need.  So giving him the megadose, at least for him, meant that he was absorbing a portion that was much bigger than he was able to get without it.  Made a huge difference in his arthritis pain.  

• Thanks 1