Big shopping malls re-opening

sothereiwas
39 minutes ago, carhill said:

people lined up six feet apart to get into Home Depot

Yeah, I had a few home improvement tasks I wanted to finish, but I'm not waiting 20 minutes to walk into frickin' home depot for a couple switches, a 4x4, and a few electrical boxes. 

CaliforniaGirl
16 hours ago, Eternal Sunshine said:

I miss the buzz of events in real life (be it shopping or concerts, galleries etc). Streaming online is just not the same.

I also wonder about supermarket staff. I frequent a large local supermarket and know most of the staff. Not one got sick. They don't wear masks, they are close to 100s of people on daily basis since the pandemic started. I have observed them standing and talking to the shoppers at less than 1.5m. If the virus is that contagious I wonder why none got sick.

I don't know. Where do you live? Highly traveled areas tend to be the most heavily hit.

13 hours ago, sothereiwas said:

How many in the area are sick? Here we have a ton of delivery, clerk, etc jobs and just a few got sick, mostly associated with the local VA, and mostly in the beginning before  travel around the metropolitan (such as we have) area was cautioned against. Have to have it to give it, as it were. 

Where I live, we have very few in the county that tested positive. About 260. It's a smaller county, but still. We were also noticing that every time the numbers were reported...its a VERY small crawl. Like 2 a day or a small handful a week. Not many whatsoever. There's  like around 300K people in our county. Even a hospital acknowledged how they have plenty of empty beds and such and prepared. So I guess it depends on how densely populated everything is.

• Thanks 1
sothereiwas
1 hour ago, QuietRiot said:

Where I live, we have very few in the county that tested positive. About 260. It's a smaller county, but still. We were also noticing that every time the numbers were reported...its a VERY small crawl. Like 2 a day or a small handful a week. Not many whatsoever. There's  like around 300K people in our county. Even a hospital acknowledged how they have plenty of empty beds and such and prepared. So I guess it depends on how densely populated everything is.

Our county has around 100K and so far we have had a grand total of 25 confirmed cases. Rural areas probably overreacted or were coerced into overreacting. 

• Like 1
simpycurious
16 hours ago, nospam99 said:

Eternal Sunshine said ''If the virus is that contagious I wonder why none got sick.''

There is a 'logical proof' (NOT the same thing as a 'scientific proof' that so many LS posters are asserting the existence of) that goes something like

1) If A Then B
2) Not B
3) Therefore Not A

I don't remember what a logical construct of that form is called. Anyone?

Identifying Assertions A and B is 'left as an exercise for the reader'. (Yes, I taught college for the better part of a decade. However, while I did TAKE Discrete Mathematics, I never taught it.)

Nospam, how about "Syllogism"

actually, there are three types of SYLLOGISM'S.......Conditional, disjunctive, and categorical 

• Like 1
simpycurious
1 hour ago, simpycurious said:

Nospam, how about "Syllogism"

actually, there are three types of SYLLOGISM'S.......Conditional, disjunctive, and categorical 

It is starting to get BUSY out there......

• Like 1
CaliforniaGirl
6 hours ago, QuietRiot said:

That's wonderful! 💖 I think it also depends upon how closely people have followed guidelines, etc. But yes, population density and frequency of travel to/from seem to be factors, which would only makes sense.

Edited by CaliforniaGirl
CaliforniaGirl
5 hours ago, sothereiwas said:

Our county has around 100K and so far we have had a grand total of 25 confirmed cases. Rural areas probably overreacted or were coerced into overreacting. 

I'm wondering where this Shangri -La is that you describe, with loads of people, a flat curve after a couple of weeks, tests for all who need them since the beginning, so few sick even with loads of travel to and out, and other descriptions you've given? You've been so very fortunate. Kudos! Of course your situation does not reflect everyone's, but this is very nice to hear.

• Like 1
sothereiwas
29 minutes ago, CaliforniaGirl said:

I'm wondering where this Shangri -La is that you describe, with loads of people, a flat curve after a couple of weeks, tests for all who need them since the beginning, so few sick even with loads of travel to and out, and other descriptions you've given? You've been so very fortunate. Kudos! Of course your situation does not reflect everyone's, but this is very nice to hear.

The downside is that it's not a trendy happinin' place where everyone knows where it is when it's mentioned and everyone who's not there wants to vacation there. it's a boring place, full of older people and folks Hillary would likely still consider deplorable. Our one shopping mall from the 1980's was already closed and nearing the end of a remodel and reimagining as a different sort of shopping center. Maybe not the best money spent there, we will see. Our slightly more than 5K square miles are home to slightly more than 100K people, so not really dense.

The interstate does pass through town, but so does most of the interstate traffic. 

It's a quiet little burg full of quiet little people. 

25 cases, all recovered except one, who was recovering last I knew. 

CaliforniaGirl
1 minute ago, sothereiwas said:

The downside is that it's not a trendy happinin' place where everyone knows where it is when it's mentioned and everyone who's not there wants to vacation there. it's a boring place, full of older people and folks Hillary would likely still consider deplorable. Our one shopping mall from the 1980's was already closed and nearing the end of a remodel and reimagining as a different sort of shopping center. Maybe not the best money spent there, we will see. Our slightly more than 5K square miles are home to slightly more than 100K people, so not really dense.

The interstate does pass through town, but so does most of the interstate traffic. 

It's a quiet little burg full of quiet little people. 

25 cases, all recovered except one, who was recovering last I knew. 

So not a place large numbers of people want to visit/live in. That explains the low numbers. This makes a lot more sense now. I appreciate the explanation and am glad you are in a safe place. 

sothereiwas
1 minute ago, CaliforniaGirl said:

So not a place large numbers of people want to visit/live in.

I'm here because I can work from any place with a decent internet connection, and I have elderly family here I want to spend time with. If not for that I'd be someplace even further from people, with a moat if possible. 

CaliforniaGirl
3 minutes ago, sothereiwas said:

I'm here because I can work from any place with a decent internet connection, and I have elderly family here I want to spend time with. If not for that I'd be someplace even further from people, with a moat if possible. 

You don't need to defend where you live any more than people living in the desirable locales need to defend where they live. I'm glad you're in a place you personally enjoy. Stay well.

CaliforniaGirl
19 minutes ago, sothereiwas said:

I'm sorry. My answer seemed to be off-topic but it wasn't. What I meant to add but had a brain jam on between cooking lunch and doing laundry and working and being on here...and the reason for my questioning, as a larger thing and not a personal attack...

...The bottom line as regards this thread is that while you tend to draw comparisons between your observation of few 19 cases and more severely affected locales, this simply underscores what is already well-known: sure, it's easier to experience good health in comparatively untraveled, comparatively less densely populated areas. We can all compare, but to intimate that there isn't really much cause for alarm based on very sparsely populated areas that only lack "a moat" for remoteness isn't really accurate and ignores a larger problem.

I'm glad your remote area is comaratively unaffected. Stay well.

sothereiwas
49 minutes ago, CaliforniaGirl said:

What I meant to add but had a brain jam on between cooking lunch and doing laundry and working and being on here...and the reason for my questioning, as a larger thing and not a personal attack...

...The bottom line as regards this thread is that while you tend to draw comparisons between your observation of few 19 cases and more severely affected locales, this simply underscores what is already well-known: sure, it's easier to experience good health in comparatively untraveled, comparatively less densely populated areas.

Not a problem. 

As my niece says, I'm probably "telling it wrong" anyway. It's not a terrible place to live, it's just small and doesn't host a theme park, one of the 7 wonders, or other major attraction. I've not looked but when my attention has been drawn to it, this place has often made lists such as "top 25 places to retire" or sometimes "10 great places to retire you've never heard of", that last has always struck me as sort of an odd title, BTW, but I guess they had to start with something. I'm not looking to retire quite yet, and if I was, I'd probably go back overseas. Due to the nature of my current work, it's a lot simpler for me to reside someplace within the borders of the USA, although someplace like Guam or Puerto Rico would likely also be OK. Outside the US or territories it would be frowned upon if not actually illegal. 

But I could find a new job. But I like this one. 

However within those not too terribly restricting restrictions, I picked this place not despite it being a bad place, but despite it not being attractive to me. A lot of people, mostly boomers at this point, have moved here on purpose, and they seem pleased. I'm just not a fan of being around people in general. My family however, I want to be around as long as they are still around.

Having said all that, and now swerving dangerously close to being on topic, a lot of the people here seem to be of the sort who don't constantly need to be elbow-to-elbow with each other. Shopping places are never crowded by most folks standards. Theaters always have plenty of seats. Most restaurants won't have lines most of the time, although a few do during peak hours. The DMV isn't even full any time I've been there. Try that in Los Angeles or Sunnyvale and see what happens. 

There used to be a few people willing to stand too close before COVID, I hope they change their ways in future. In short, it's not surprising that COVID-19 spreads like wildfire in NYC or SF, and not so much here or in most of Wyoming, Ohio, the Dakota's, and so on. I've not promoted opening SF or NYC up early, but there are places which likely should have never closed. No reason for it. Just do a PSA campaign and worry about keeping the urbanites urban for the duration. 

The Fox Hills mall in Culver City probably needed closed. We didn't even have a mall to close. That's both on topic and a good summary of the differences. 

eleanorrigby
1 hour ago, sothereiwas said:

The Fox Hills mall in Culver City probably needed closed. We didn't even have a mall to close. That's both on topic and a good summary of the differences. 

It's closing? 😞 That was one of my hangouts as a teen. 

sothereiwas
12 minutes ago, eleanorrigby said:

It's closing? 😞 That was one of my hangouts as a teen. 

It's a crapfest last I was there, full of young wannabe gangsters and angry people. But that's most of LA, or a lot of CA really. 

I don't think it's closing so much as shut down during the lockdown. 

eleanorrigby

Coronavirus will probably be the death blow then.  The old school enclosed malls were already struggling against the open air high tech ones.  It was fun in the '80's though lol

eleanorrigby

Nothing Jetson like, but compared to an old mall from the '80's, it could feel that way. It's just the mall, but with an open air design, plush accommodations, places to charge your devices, stuff like that. 

4 hours ago, sothereiwas said:

Not a problem. 

As my niece says, I'm probably "telling it wrong" anyway. It's not a terrible place to live, it's just small and doesn't host a theme park, one of the 7 wonders, or other major attraction. I've not looked but when my attention has been drawn to it, this place has often made lists such as "top 25 places to retire" or sometimes "10 great places to retire you've never heard of", that last has always struck me as sort of an odd title, BTW, but I guess they had to start with something. I'm not looking to retire quite yet, and if I was, I'd probably go back overseas. Due to the nature of my current work, it's a lot simpler for me to reside someplace within the borders of the USA, although someplace like Guam or Puerto Rico would likely also be OK. Outside the US or territories it would be frowned upon if not actually illegal. 

But I could find a new job. But I like this one. 

However within those not too terribly restricting restrictions, I picked this place not despite it being a bad place, but despite it not being attractive to me. A lot of people, mostly boomers at this point, have moved here on purpose, and they seem pleased. I'm just not a fan of being around people in general. My family however, I want to be around as long as they are still around.

Having said all that, and now swerving dangerously close to being on topic, a lot of the people here seem to be of the sort who don't constantly need to be elbow-to-elbow with each other. Shopping places are never crowded by most folks standards. Theaters always have plenty of seats. Most restaurants won't have lines most of the time, although a few do during peak hours. The DMV isn't even full any time I've been there. Try that in Los Angeles or Sunnyvale and see what happens. 

There used to be a few people willing to stand too close before COVID, I hope they change their ways in future. In short, it's not surprising that COVID-19 spreads like wildfire in NYC or SF, and not so much here or in most of Wyoming, Ohio, the Dakota's, and so on. I've not promoted opening SF or NYC up early, but there are places which likely should have never closed. No reason for it. Just do a PSA campaign and worry about keeping the urbanites urban for the duration. 

Where I bolded in the elbow to elbow part.  I follow a local springs page. It's a "save the springs" kind of page. And someone posted a link to a YouTube video of some guy that took footage of that area. It's in the middle of nowhere, but...people congregate from all parts of the state in that area. Just think of a crowded water park, but...at a natural spring head, swimming area. Beers in hand, people loud and obnoxious...scoffing at the whole corona virus "flu" a some of them referred to it in the comments and on camera.

I enjoy the local springs, but avoid them like the plague even on a normal day whilst in the summer time when kids are out of school. And on the weekends. Typically, the cars line up prior to them opening the gates, and the park fills up and they close due to capacity....and this was in pre-Covid days.  Now this past Memorial Day, people flocked like lemmings. I avoid crowds.

I hate theme parks (can't stand waiting in lines with droves of people). it's gross. And this was my attitude PRE-Covid. When I see videos like this, my dislike for such venues confirms things for me some how. 

Oh, and at tubing runs on the river...from overhead, it looks like a bowl of Cheerios.

In fact, my parents stopped going to certain events, even obscure ones, due to the crowds. They even sold their RV as they were so over traveling around and hitching up to areas  where they've discovered it's loaded with people. 

My dad was saddened how certain state parks were stuffed to the gills as he long was nostalgic about how a bit more serene it was when he went back in the 80s and 90s. I think somehow my dissatisfaction of how crowded it can be to go to ANY event has met it's reckoning a la Corona Virus.

To quote Dwight Schrute of The Office: "There's too many people in this world, we need a plague!"  Kind of a poetic justice now it's come to fruition. Not that I wish ill will people...but I've always thought the purpose of a virus was indeed for the purpose of actually thinning the herd. It's a unique breed of a mix of DNA and/or RNA strands that's even tougher than bacteria. Virologists even had a hard time trying to place it in a category as they are so mysterious in nature. As if it's triggered due to mainly environmental....triggers. IE - too much deforestation of the Rain Forest. I think of some viruses as a Pandora's Box.

Oh, I wanted to add...I spoke with someone that lived in a very small town. The entire town will not let a single outsideer/traveler in. I was rather surprised by this.

Edited by QuietRiot
  • Author
Eternal Sunshine

Australia doesn't have many open air malls. When I was in US, I loved going. I tend to find closed malls claustrophobic.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Eternal Sunshine said:

Australia doesn't have many open air malls. When I was in US, I loved going. I tend to find closed malls claustrophobic.

I don't think I've ever been to an open-air mall...it's hot and tropical here so people use the local mall for exercise indoors before the stores open, or they did prior to the pandemic. Mall-walking, there are groups!

sothereiwas
13 hours ago, QuietRiot said:

I spoke with someone that lived in a very small town. The entire town will not let a single outsideer/traveler in.

Yeah, that's against the law. We didn't need to do that, that sort of thing is just as much an over reaction as the rest, as well as a demonstration of stupidity.