The argument of citing less deaths keep popping up

• Author
39 minutes ago, thefooloftheyear said:

Look around you.....Notice all those overweight/obese people?

Do you know what the toll is on themselves and our medical system??  Despite what every medical expert on the planet tells them,  why can't those people listen??

And so on with drugs, alcohol, you name it....All stupid behaviors that everyone knows is bad, yet people do what people do...Why you seem to have this obsession with thinking you can control(or that it bothers you so much).,what others do is beyond me....It's a losing battle, buddy...Go buy an island somewhere, and make your own rules...Thats about the only way its happening...

The world is full of people that won't be controlled no matter what "good" medical advice exists....Just look at all the looters/rioters, etc ....You think they care?  And I am sure most of them hate Trump..  Its got absolutely nothing to do with politics, as I know plenty of people who wont wear masks and hate Trump....And I know people that think he's great, but are listening carefully to the experts..

Forget about trying to control people...It wont happen...And its not about politics...I know a lot of pro Trump people...None of them ever said he was responsible for how they handled their lives through this...

TFY

No other behavior bother me because it doesn't impact me (and others), the only main difference here is that these behaviors impact the rest of the world (causing the spread of the virus, infecting others, and so on). They are propagating  and exacerbating it...and defiantly at that.This Covid 19 situation has proven how selfish can people be. I have even cut ties with friends because of our opposing views on this. It's sad, but it's revealing to see peoples' true colors.

IN world war 2, people were patriotic enough to do their part in co-operating in contributing to the war effort.  We are far from that at this point with the selfishness and the impact it is having on others.

Sure you can control it, but by not letting them into your building if they don't have a mask. That's one way to control it.

Edited by QuietRiot
  • Like 2

There are lots and lots of laws/rules in place that require people do things that are "inconvenient"  yet the majority of people abide by them -- i.e. seatbelts.  The people who don't abide by those rules, get ticketed/fined.  These rules are in place for their own good.  Cell phone usage while driving is illegal and for the good of everyone.  People who continue to do so, get ticketed/fined.  The same thinking can be applied to masks.  The entitled, self-centered babies and their tantrums need to get over themselves.  Losing weight, stopping an addiction, etc. are not on the same plane of simplicity as putting on an F ing mask.  And, there are many conditions that make people high-risk through no fault of their own but anti-maskers simply consider those people to be collateral damage.  And, yes, those behaviors weigh on the healthcare system, but, for the most part, are only hurting themselves and can't spread their obesity, etc. We aren't asking people to give up a lung by requiring masks, but those who won't/don't wear masks are essentially telling the others to do that by not caring if they continue to give the virus hosts and expose others to the virus. 

Ruby Slippers

The best analogy I've seen to face masks is red lights. Though it would be faster if I could just drive willy nilly through the streets without any consideration for other people, I have to stop and wait at red lights according to the law. In so doing, the streets are safer for everybody. I have the personal freedom to run red lights, but I risk getting a ticket. 

I'm fully on board with stores and other places of business requiring face masks. I think it's ridiculous to expect people to wear a face mask outside in the open air, and I wouldn't do that unless there were heavy consequences.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Ruby Slippers said:

I'm fully on board with stores and other places of business requiring face masks. I think it's ridiculous to expect people to wear a face mask outside in the open air, and I wouldn't do that unless there were heavy consequences.

As long as you can maintain the prescribed social distance (6 feet) when you're out.  The problem as I see it is that a great many people think various things are "ridiculous" and refuse to follow those particular guidelines.   With all the people picking and choosing which guidelines are reasonable in their personal opinions,  plenty of virus is being spread.

Why not just wear a mask when going out in public and a 6 foot distance can not be guaranteed.  Don't get it.

• Like 1
Ruby Slippers
40 minutes ago, NuevoYorko said:

The problem as I see it is that a great many people think various things are "ridiculous" and refuse to follow those particular guidelines.   With all the people picking and choosing which guidelines are reasonable in their personal opinions,  plenty of virus is being spread.

While I wear a mask inside stores and places of business, it's hot, feels unnatural and somewhat uncomfortable, so I get why some people won't do it unless they're forced to. Wearing a mask is somewhat a "humanitarian" thing to do - an inconvenience for you, but a preventive for everybody else. So I'm not surprised in the slightest that a lot of people resist, since by and large people are quite selfish creatures and not humanitarian at all. The average person is very selfish and does just about everything they do for their own comfort with total disregard for the well-being of anybody else. The absence of a mask is simply a waving sign that makes it clear how little they care. I'm not surprised because I already knew.

Seems an American problem. Wear a mask, it`s not difficult. Actually seems any who speaks a dialect of English cannot cope with wearing mask. Man up eh?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, thefooloftheyear said:

Upwards of 100K people die each year from hazards they incur(ed) from working, including 6K that are actually killed on the job...These folks all died so that everyone can have power,  gas, roads to travel, safety on the streets, etc...Every year...covid or no covid...No one ever screamed and hollered about those lives lost, they were just doing their jobs...

Why does this matter in terms of covid?

The difference is Covid is contagious.
Most other risks are not.

But similarly, there are usually workplace regulations to minimize risk just like there are laws against things like drinking and driving.

But when laws are suggested for minimizing the risk of Covid, half the country goes berserk. Government overreach!

9 hours ago, thefooloftheyear said:

Look around you.....Notice all those overweight/obese people?

Do you know what the toll is on themselves and our medical system??  Despite what every medical expert on the planet tells them,  why can't those people listen??

Again those things aren’t contagious. It’s a huge difference. It’s why drinking alcohol isn’t illegal, but drinking and driving is. And, yes some people of course still do drink and drive, but most do not. 

I’m a liberal. People should be able to do whatever they want as long as they’re not hurting anybody else. Wearing a mask hurts almost nobody. Giving somebody a virus does. 

Edited by Weezy1973
  • Like 1
Ruby Slippers
7 minutes ago, Weezy1973 said:

But when laws are suggested for minimizing the risk of Covid, half the country goes berserk. 

I kind of get it, though. This is a very strange time, there's an atmosphere of fear, isolation, loss, and death, Westerners have no history or experience wearing masks during a major health crisis like Easterners do. Many people are feeling very anxious, afraid, sad, off kilter, and overreacting to lots of things.

sothereiwas
On 7/16/2020 at 2:23 PM, Ruby Slippers said:

I kind of get it, though. This is a very strange time, there's an atmosphere of fear, isolation, loss, and death, Westerners have no history or experience wearing masks during a major health crisis like Easterners do. Many people are feeling very anxious, afraid, sad, off kilter, and overreacting to lots of things.

To be fair, I don't think those easterners have habitually done the everyone wears a mask drill. In my time over there it was more a matter of it being common practice for anyone with a case of the sniffles to mask up out of politeness. I always thought that was pretty cool and completely reasonable. I might be wrong but prior to this go around I never saw a scenario where an entire society was asked to mask up preemptively. It might have happened, but I was travelling in Asia during SARS and it wasn't happening then. 

• Like 1
  • Author
On 7/16/2020 at 5:23 PM, Ruby Slippers said:

Right, and there are many out there that are being told NOT to be selfish, something a lot of Americans, or maybe just humanity. 

I had grown up in a family that had learned to "do without". We rarely ate out, if we did, we didn't purchase sodas...just a cup of water along with the meal and so on. We also live in a country where most people "gotta have it now" and are in credit card debt because of it.

Now...there is a reckoning, and these same people aren't able to hack it.

• Like 1
lana-banana

Today from the COVID-19 Tracking Project:

"Our daily update is published. States reported 70k cases today, the third-highest number we’ve seen. The country is nearing the peak level of COVID-19 patients hospitalized (~60k). States reported 1,126 deaths, and the 7-day average is now over 800, back to the levels of June. California, Missouri, Oklahoma, and North Dakota all set new records for cases today...The South set a new record for deaths across the region yesterday at 592. Today, the South reported 725 deaths. Some states—like New Mexico—have so far managed to keep the virus from growing exponentially, even after substantial outbreaks inside their borders and in neighboring states."

• Like 1