KY couple get ankle bracelets for violating quarantine rules

Not sure if you've seen this already, but it's blowing up the net. When a Kentucky couple refused to sign quarantine papers because the wife tested positive (symptom free), cops showed up on their front door step and they were forced to wear ankle bracelets.

Think this is an over reach?

Stuffing them in a woodchipper would be an over reach. Ankle bracelets is getting off easy.

I'd make them wear dunce caps as well but if all we can get is the bracelets at least that's something.

• Like 1

They are a danger to others, and won't control themselves, so they must be restricted until they can't harm others.  This seems very reasonable to me.  Personal rights and freedoms stop when they begin to infringe on the rights of others.

• Like 2
sothereiwas
6 hours ago, QuietRiot said:

Not sure if you've seen this already, but it's blowing up the net. When a Kentucky couple refused to sign quarantine papers because the wife tested positive (symptom free), cops showed up on their front door step and they were forced to wear ankle bracelets.

Quarantining infected people is a well tested practice. 

• Like 1
  • Author
4 hours ago, central said:

They are a danger to others, and won't control themselves, so they must be restricted until they can't harm others.  This seems very reasonable to me.  Personal rights and freedoms stop when they begin to infringe on the rights of others.

Interestingly...the friend who posted this on FB said this is a little much. Though he IS pro-mask and all that, he thinks it's the step just before internment camps. He figured the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) should get involved. 

Edited by QuietRiot
amaysngrace

It’s BS

The tests are unreliable at best and no symptoms means no shedding virus to the best of my knowledge based on my own personal experience. 

It’s gone too far.  When somebody can die in a motorcycle accident and have it be recorded as a covid death then common sense should kick in for some but apparently not.  

Fear 1 Citizens 0

• Author
18 minutes ago, amaysngrace said:

It’s BS

The tests are unreliable at best and no symptoms means no shedding virus to the best of my knowledge based on my own personal experience. 

It’s gone too far.  When somebody can die in a motorcycle accident and have it be recorded as a covid death then common sense should kick in for some but apparently not.  

Fear 1 Citizens 0

This has nothing to do with the topic. Stay on topic.

• Author
5 hours ago, sothereiwas said:

Quarantining infected people is a well tested practice. 

Even to the point of getting law enforcement to come over to see that it sticks? Like in this case? This couple could likely own whatever municipality that their are in. They probably have a good case against the city (or county)

Edited by QuietRiot
Happy Lemming
12 hours ago, QuietRiot said:

The government did a lot worse to Typhoid Mary!

• Like 1
amaysngrace
38 minutes ago, QuietRiot said:

This has nothing to do with the topic. Stay on topic.

I am on topic.  You asked if it was an overreach and I said what happened to them is BS.  

Nice to see how receptive you are to conversation though.

bless

• Thanks 1

I also think it's an overreach.  They didn't refuse to self-quarantine; they refused to sign the papers.  I wouldn't sign anything either.  This seems like a great way to discourage people from getting tested.  These people had no symptoms, were testing to be cautious before they left the state, and they end up on house arrest over it?  Absolutely crazy.  

• Author
43 minutes ago, Happy Lemming said:

The government did a lot worse to Typhoid Mary!

Meh, but that was WAY back when. We're not suppose to be as draconian. I can understand wearing masks no infringing on constitutional rights, but this is VERY much infringing on our freedoms.  People are confused on this apparently. 

Checking that I understand correctly.......People are saying that quarantine for infected people is infringing on freedoms?  

15 minutes ago, QuietRiot said:

Meh, but that was WAY back when. We're not suppose to be as draconian.

We have compulsory quarantine here.  Rather than calling it draconian, we call it ‘doing our bit for the good of the nation’.   The better handle we have on it - the better the economy and death rate.  

Edited by basil67
Typo
  • Like 1
Happy Lemming
1 minute ago, QuietRiot said:

Meh, but that was WAY back when.

Yes, the government used what tools were available at the time.  Today, ankle monitors are the tool available to authorities/government.

In both cases, there was no cure or vaccine for the sickness/condition. 

During a pandemic or national emergency, the government has to be able to quarantine the sick to protect its citizens.

You may also want to research the Internment of Japanese Americans during World War II... 

• Like 1
CAPSLOCK BANDIT

You know what really kills me about this, is how you all believe your phone is that much different than an ankle bracelet like the one being discussed here.. Most of us willingly wear an ankle bracelet and don't even know it, or didn't at one time.

In China, they don't give you an ankle bracelet, they drag you out of your home and force you into a van; although this is against the law, many laws, it is also an extremely effective measure of quarantine. Honestly, this is where I think the Chinese get it right, they are aware of how complicit people can be, that you can just walk around and freely put others at risk, potentially starting a second wave of a pandemic.

mark clemson

Personally I think the ankle bracelet thing is just about the extreme edge of what we should be practicing here in the US. For myself, I wouldn't want to see people taken away in vans or other heavy-handed authoritarian methods being used against US citizens. It's a real slippery slope for those in power and something I would hope our courts would address (by nixing).

I do think some of these "anti-maskers" feel a lot more like Pig Won't and a lot less like George Washington (despite how they might see themselves). However, I don't think we want to turn to the kinds of tactics used in China. IMO we'd lose a lot more in the long term than we gain in (potential) safety in the short.

Edited by mark clemson
  • Like 1
sothereiwas
26 minutes ago, mark clemson said:

Personally I think the ankle bracelet thing is just about the extreme edge of what we should be practicing here in the US.

For people who are actually infected I'd say it's acceptable in extreme cases like this, perhaps. The wholesale locking down of suspected-healthy people in other places was wrong IMO

• Like 1
Watercolors
5 hours ago, CAPSLOCK BANDIT said:

You know what really kills me about this, is how you all believe your phone is that much different than an ankle bracelet like the one being discussed here.. Most of us willingly wear an ankle bracelet and don't even know it, or didn't at one time.

In China, they don't give you an ankle bracelet, they drag you out of your home and force you into a van; although this is against the law, many laws, it is also an extremely effective measure of quarantine. Honestly, this is where I think the Chinese get it right, they are aware of how complicit people can be, that you can just walk around and freely put others at risk, potentially starting a second wave of a pandemic.

The bolded makes such a great point. We're already prisoners of our cell phones. Those are our figurative ankle bracelets. 

On 7/19/2020 at 5:31 PM, QuietRiot said:

No, I don't think the U.S. gov't over-stepped their boundaries. There's so many anti-maskers on Facebook who spew anti-gov't propaganda and declare the virus to be a huge conspiracy and fraud. Yet, most of those same antimaskers have DIED from COVID, that they claimed to be fake. 

I think this couple was stupid not to sign quarantine papers. Contract tracers have a horrible and stressful job. First, they have to call the people in quarantine and get names and email addresses and phone numbers of ALL the people those in quarantine were in contact with. Then, they have to spend hours online and on the phone contacting those people to see who THEY were in contact with, and if they or those other people they were in contact with, have COVID symptoms. 

They deserve to be in ankle bracelets. If that doesn't knock down their arrogant attitudes a few notches, then I don't know what will. They have zero sympathy from me. 

• Thanks 1
  • Mad 1
major_merrick

Since the tests are not reliable, I'd say it is definitely an overreach.  But Kentucky has been quite draconian through this whole ordeal. 

Examples of testing issues.... goats and fruit test positive for COVID:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-tanzania/president-queries-tanzania-coronavirus-kits-after-goat-test-idUSKBN22F0KF

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/coronavirus/state-says-90-positive-covid-9-test-results-were-false/2304893/

Those are just things I found in 2 minutes on Google.  When the hospitals make money from the government for anything COVID-related, they have an interest in declaring anybody within reach "sick."  They will have no interest in people who want to dispute test results.  They will have no interest in pursuing more reliable testing.  It suits their purposes.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/hospitals-medicare-patients-cost-coronavirus

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/04/24/fact-check-medicare-hospitals-paid-more-covid-19-patients-coronavirus/3000638001/

Even the USAToday source ^^^^ admits that the payments are increased for COVID, although they (of course) deny that there's anything corrupt going on.  In plain speech, we call this something that has become "too big to hide." 

For me....I will refuse any test anybody tries to foist on me unless I legitimately believe I am really sick.  If the test is positive and someone is asymptomatic, they'd at least better send off 3-4 different tests to different places to confirm before they start trying to quarantine somebody against their will.  This ain't Typhoid or the Plague. 

• Like 1
Shining One
1 hour ago, major_merrick said:

Since the tests are not reliable, I'd say it is definitely an overreach.

It's say it's less of an overreach than blockading people who haven't tested positive.

• Like 1
major_merrick

@Shining One Assuming you are referring to my county's roadblocks, I would say that keeping non-residents with no legitimate business OUT is quite different from keeping residents IN.

1 hour ago, major_merrick said:

@Shining One Assuming you are referring to my county's roadblocks, I would say that keeping non-residents with no legitimate business OUT is quite different from keeping residents IN.

Until the resident who goes outside the county wants to return after attending a party with people in a hotspot.