Same pet name?

I want to know if I could use the same pet name as my boyfriend does. I know it's a bit of a childish thing to be curious about, but I genuinely want to know. This is the first serious relationship that i've had(Other than the occasional fling), so I'm new to this stuff.(Not really important, but anywho-) 

My boyfriend has been calling me pet names for a while now. And he's experimented with different kinds; Dandelion, honey, boo, baby, my world, etc. Some of them have stuck, while others have dropped. A few of the pet names he calls me, gives me butterflies and makes me all tingly inside. Whereas some of them;(And thankfully he doesn't call me them anymore) has made me wrinkle my nose in disgust and say "ew". At first-(And he started using pet names early in the relationship), I was sort of hesitant to use pet names for him. Mainly because it felt weird. However after some time, i've managed to warm up to it and on occasion I would call him things.There is one specific name however, that just makes me melt whenever he calls me by it. And I love it. The way it makes me feel is amazing, and I want to be able to call him something that makes him feel the same way. I've tried a few times with pet names like; "hun" and "honey", but they don't sound as great to me. Not to mention, a lot of pet names feel unnatural when I say them. Like, it just feels weird when the words come from my lips. So I was wondering if it'd be weird to call him the same name he calls me? Or am I just being dumb and thinking about it too much? Because I want the name to feel special, but not overused.

When the right pet name arrives, it will feel right when you use it.  Just like a nickname, it can't be forced.   

• Like 2

You are overthinking it.  If it feels right, use it.  

As long as the mutual pet name isn't something hyper feminine like Princess (unless he's non-binary) it will probably be OK.  

As tingly & wonderful as you feel, don't be discouraged if your guy doesn't get the same reaction from whatever pet name you bestow on him.  My husband & I have pet names but I don't think he'd care all that much if I never uttered it again.  

• Like 2
Happy Lemming

I've called EVERY woman I've dated "Sunshine" as a pet name, it kept confusion down to a minimum.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Happy Lemming said:

I've called EVERY woman I've dated "Sunshine" as a pet name, it kept confusion down to a minimum.

I sussed that one out early doors, so  pet names have always left me pretty cold.

1 hour ago, Happy Lemming said:

Using the same pet name for every woman means the pet name is NOT special.  

one of my EXs called most women by the same pet name.  It was really because he was too lazy to bother to learn their names.  Many women didn't pick up on that.  I was  annoyed when he called me that name so he only did it when he was trying to get on my nerves.  

Happy Lemming
1 hour ago, elaine567 said:

I sussed that one out early doors, so  pet names have always left me pretty cold.

Yes... and when they would complain, I'd break out into that old Johnny Cash song...

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine... You make me happy when skies are gray", then I'd have their legs in the air.

I memorized the entire song just for such an occasion and could sing it just like Johnny Cash.

3 hours ago, Happy Lemming said:

Brilliant! That way you can't call your current squeeze by an old pet name and have to sleep on the couch for a couple days.

• Sad 1

Names will change over time too like I used to call my husband honey buns, but now it's grumpy pants lol

• Like 3
Blind-Sided
23 hours ago, Happy Lemming said:

LOL.... that's great!  I've made it a firm rule to never use a girl's name in bed, because I don't want to say the wrong one.  Not that I have so many partners I will confuse them... I just have an issue with calling people by the wrong name.

To our OP.... Use whatever name feels right.

Happy Lemming
2 hours ago, Blind-Sided said:

I've made it a firm rule to never use a girl's name in bed, because I don't want to say the wrong one. 

Funny Story... Many years ago, I legally changed my name.  I never liked the name my parents gave me, so I had it changed.

So I met this woman about the same time the court order went through for my name change.  When I introduced myself (to her) I used my new name, although I wasn't used to it yet.  Fast forward a couple of dates and we are in bed having sex and she calls out my new name, I stopped mid-stroke thinking who is she talking to, then I remembered that was my new name, so I continued. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Fresh_Start
1 hour ago, Happy Lemming said:

Funny Story... Many years ago, I legally changed my name.  I never liked the name my parents gave me, so I had it changed.

So I met this woman about the same time the court order went through for my name change.  When I introduced myself (to her) I used my new name, although I wasn't used to it yet.  Fast forward a couple of dates and we are in bed having sex and she calls out my new name, I stopped mid-stroke thinking who is she talking to, then I remembered that was my new name, so I continued. 

Women never call out my name in bed, so just to make it a more immersive experience, I'm in the process of legally changing my name too.  Turns out AreYouDoneAlready hasn't been taken by anybody yet. 

Edited by Fresh_Start
  • Like 4
On 7/23/2020 at 8:42 AM, Happy Lemming said:

😂 

On 7/23/2020 at 10:41 AM, Happy Lemming said:

Yes... and when they would complain, I'd break out into that old Johnny Cash song...

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine... You make me happy when skies are gray", then I'd have their legs in the air.

I memorized the entire song just for such an occasion and could sing it just like Johnny Cash.

😁

2 hours ago, Happy Lemming said:

Fast forward a couple of dates and we are in bed having sex and she calls out my new name, I stopped mid-stroke thinking who is she talking to, then I remembered that was my new name, so I continued. 

🤣

1 hour ago, Fresh_Start said:

Women never call out my name in bed, so just to make it a more immersive experience, I'm in the process of legally changing my name too.  Turns out AreYouDoneAlready hasn't been taken by anybody yet. 

😆

LMAO this thread is spectacular. 👍🥇

• Like 2