Electrolysis during covid, worried about exposure

Hi everyone, I’ve been getting electrolysis on my face for the past 4 years. I had a really bad facial hair problem. I loved my results! However I haven’t gone since March due to the virus. My electrologist reopened I think last month and I would love to go again for touch ups and new areas on my face she didn’t get to yet. However, I’m concerned about the virus. Is getting electrolysis safe during these times? I mean she is in my face for 45 min to 1 hour. I can’t wear a mask. I don’t know what her precautions are yet. She was honestly never the cleanest to begin with. I mean not dirty, but she’s not a germaphobe. I never got sick from her in 4 years and skin always looked great. Been in business 30+ years and loved the results. However, now with the virus she would need to obviously step up cleanliness. She’s in a small room in a beauty shop.

I was thinking the following would have to happen if I were to go:

I can be there when the beauty shop is closed, so would just be me and her, she has a key.

Only once a month

Maybe just 30 minutes

I would wear goggles and maybe cover my nose and mouth since I don’t get my upper lip done. Possibly see if I could wear a mask.

She would obviously wear a mask and I would love her to wear a face shield too, but that’s up to her really.

Witness her wash her hands and before and after touching phone which didn’t used to happen.

Be her first appointment of the day so nobody else was just there.

Wipe down the chair and lay on a paper towel which I always did

Keep door opened, she’s in a small room in a beauty shop.

Wash hands/face right away in my car and not use the bathroom there.

Anything I’m missing?

I live with my parents 60+ and they have high blood pressure. I care about our health versus beauty. I would HATE to get sick over getting this.

My face is so much better than it was 4 years ago literally night and day. If it was 4 years ago I would be going. However I still loved getting touched up and branching out to new areas. I always say I’m happy the virus happened now versus 4 or more years ago so I could get most of my face treated.

So is it safe? Are people getting the virus from going? Not 6 ft apart and her clients she sees all week can’t wear masks. Seems really risky. Would you go? 

I would wait until the trend in new infections is moving down. I don't think you can use the discovered cases through testing as a measurement. Look to hospitalization rates or how many people with COVID are admitted. The death rate isn't a real indicator any longer of your true risk since they have improved the treatment of the symptoms.

I gave up my bicycling this year just to lower the risk and that was a sacrifice. 

• Author

Thanks so much for your replies! 

I just hear so many people going to the beauty shop, getting nails done, tanning and I just wish I could go for my beauty treatment because having hair on your face is worse than your nails not being polished.

However, I just feel electrolysis is more unsafe because her clients can't wear masks and are closer to her than at a nail or hair salon. 

My face does look good, my family says it looks good. I can use temporary methods so it's not like I'm walking around like Tom Selek. It's just I liked going and having her do these areas instead of me. 

My mom just said it's too risky, my face looks good and I'm not really going anywhere. Anywhere you go you have to wear a mask and or social distance, where you wouldn't be able to see any hair anyway. 

I have been seeing some extended family so been just cleaning up for them.

It's not a medical issue and I have products to make it look good. 

I just found help, it's been working so good. I'm so happy I did the permanent method instead of waxing all these years like I was preparing for this lol.

I just don't think it will be safe for years and I'm disappointed I can't go. 

What was wrong with the ideas I had, still too risky? If we both wore masks we could still pass it to each other? 

It's your risk to Spring. The odds are in your favor that you will not contract the virus and if you do I'm guessing your age is going to be in your favor.

Just remember low risk not no risk, so don't be arbitrary about it and only go if you deem it necessary.

How prevalent are cases in your area?  If you are in the middle of a hotspot and cases are rapidly increasing, then maybe hold off for now.  If not, then you just have to decide for yourself the risk you are willing to take for the results.  Look at the size of the population, calculate the odds, and see how you feel about it.    

• Like 1
  • Author

I'm in PA, I think our cases are steady. If I did all of the above and we both were wearing masks is it even possible to still contract it? 

17 minutes ago, Spring1234 said:

I'm in PA, I think our cases are steady. If I did all of the above and we both were wearing masks is it even possible to still contract it? 

Possible, yes.  Of course.  If she has it and is contagious and sneezes or coughs near you, the virus is small enough that it could get through the masks and infect you.  

But is it likely?  Personally, I don't think so.  It's not that prevalent in your area anymore.  You'll be taking precautions and it will be a quick visit.  There were a couple of hairstylists in Missouri who had it (and I think were even symptomatic) and didn't spread it to any of their clients (at least those who agreed to be tested).  All were wearing masks.  

I mean, I would go.  But you have to do what makes you comfortable. 

• Author

Thank you so much for your replies and advice. I really don't have anyone to talk to about this since nobody really knows I have facial hair. 

Yes, I would have to wear a mask if I went and I think I will ask my electrologist if she is even working on clients not wearing masks because that would be reckless. I mean there's areas that can be worked on around a mask or maybe just move it a bit.

I just am so unsure because there is so much unknown about this virus and what's safe and not safe. 

I reached out to my electrologist to see what her protocols are. I just wanted to know if she even working or what has been going on. 

I'm just so torn and I go back and forth. Like one hand I think oh well I will wear a mask and we'll follow guidelines, then I'm like I can't do it. 

I just don't know. See it's still a bit different than a hair dresser because she's more in my face and she may see clients without masks. 

Thank you so much! Great to have people to talk to! 

35 minutes ago, Spring1234 said:

Thank you so much for your replies and advice. I really don't have anyone to talk to about this since nobody really knows I have facial hair. 

Yes, I would have to wear a mask if I went and I think I will ask my electrologist if she is even working on clients not wearing masks because that would be reckless. I mean there's areas that can be worked on around a mask or maybe just move it a bit.

I just am so unsure because there is so much unknown about this virus and what's safe and not safe. 

I reached out to my electrologist to see what her protocols are. I just wanted to know if she even working or what has been going on. 

I'm just so torn and I go back and forth. Like one hand I think oh well I will wear a mask and we'll follow guidelines, then I'm like I can't do it. 

I just don't know. See it's still a bit different than a hair dresser because she's more in my face and she may see clients without masks. 

Thank you so much! Great to have people to talk to! 

My friend who helped me get this apartment is an electrologist and she was taking temperatures when people entered her room.

She wears a mask whilst working.