When men get moderately physical in mixed company

There was a time where I fell into a category where I'd hang out with friends in groups. And during this time there'd be some dudes that would give unsolicited shoulder massages to women in the group. Keep in mind, these women knew these women for a while, at least had a certain familiarity to them to the point where they may not have  a problem with this. The fact that familiarity lets women see these men as gentlemen and not a threat per se'.

You could even say this is a kind of "friends with benefits" but without the sex.

Some me have even said this was their way of gauging a woman's interest in him, too.

There was one time where I saw a guy do this to a woman, right in front of me, and she had this wide-eyed, "WTF?!" expression on her face, but she let him do it anyhow.

Keep in mind, these people were unattached singles, so...some think this is how the mating/courtship process works? I dunno, what do you think?

When I was a young man, I was quite familiar with a number of women and would give sometimes give them massages, in fact I had a bit of a reputation for giving really good massages so I was often asked to do it in mixed company as well.

Yet knowing how to do it well wasn't accidental, since I was taught how to do it when I was 15. When the person who I gave my first massage to under instruction, was a then 21 year old TV and movie star, who to my surprise she also went topless for the activity as well.

A few  of those women were people I was interested in having further relations with, while I wasn't interested in sharing more with most of them.

It really wasn't a big deal, likewise I can't say I would call it anything like having FWBs without sex.

Humans are pack animals.  Animals need touch.  

Unwelcome touching is bad but if the people who are touching each other & find with it, that touching is all good.