Have you severed communications with friends over Covid?

Lately, not saying that I've completely shut out my friends, but I have stopped communicating friends who have been talking conspiracy theories involving coronvirus. I blocked one friend because she kept spamming me with conspiracy theory videos.

Another friend ,who I thought was highly intelligent and rational kept talking that 5G network nonsense....my jaw dropped when she said that as she's a software support tech for a bank chain. I may have well have heard her say she believes in Bigfoot or that aliens abducted her. I was tongue and cheek, and thought to myself..."oookay...backing out of this conversation!" And changed the subject. So we still sometimes talk, but just not about Covid.

One friend who I had been pretty tight with for  years, well, stopped talking with her as well.

The virus has become so decisive, I had to stick with current rational friends when it came to conversations. Felt like I was in an episode of the Twighlight zone.

Saw this article in The Atlantic

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2020/04/friends-are-breaking-up-over-social-distancing/610783/

The one guy told the friend that they shouldn't be gathering for soccer game, the friend's response was, "I didn't want a lecture, just tell me 'No' and that's it". Thus ended their friendship. Kind of sad.

That said, have any of you here severed ties on social level with your friends because you found out your friends aren't aligned with you? 

I have a friend that admittedly said on Facebook that he'll unfriend anyone that says things bigoted, racist, hatred, and of course...aren't on the same page as him when it comes to Covid. He's even told me he shut out some of his family members and never looked back.

I thought it was kind of sad...I asked him, "Well, after this is all over, you may want to reconnect?" He said, "Not likely". He equates and accuses others as selfish and non-compassionate if they are adamant about not wearing masks and figures its worth ending a friendship or severing ties with family members of this.

Although, I haven't gone to THAT extreme, I did have to back off socializing with certain people.

I had a friend announce on FB that he's simply stepping away from social media altogether. We talk a lot some times, as he's rational and I'm guessing he doesn't want to end up sucked into an argument or see what some of his friends truly believe. 

Edited by QuietRiot

I stopped following a life long friend on facebook for her view that Trump is doing a good job regarding the pandemic.  We'll remain friends but I don't want to see such nonsense.

I have unfriended anyone on SM who is not an actual real life current friend for sharing conspiracy theories, calling COVID fake news, and praising trump. If they are a current real life friend, I have not unfriended them for doing the same but have distanced myself from them. It has negatively impacted our friendship although they may not even realize it. I could never look at them the same way anymore. I’ve lost respect, and have no desire to even hang out with them again once the pandemic ends. 

• Like 1
Eternal Sunshine

I have lost respect for multiple people over COVID conspiracy theories (5G being the worst one as it shows a complete lack of intelligent thought). I didn't unfriend them but I will not be able to go back to the previous level of friendship.

I also don't want to spend any in person time with friends that don't believe in masks and often go umasked. I have bluntly told them why and they are now pissed off and not speaking to me.

• Like 2
CaliforniaGirl

Nearly all the people I know are open-minded and inclusive, science-minded, just...21st century. I actually have no close friends at all who go in for conspiracy belief.

I do have one friend who obviously believes that the numbers are "exaggerated" but she has never tried to convince me and I have never tried to convince her. We still find plenty to talk about.

I did have an acquaintance/sometimes-friend who out of nowhere started texting me the most unbelievable anti-vax, it's a hoax, "they're" trying to control us, it's all a lie stuff you've ever heard. She then proceeded to speak about my political party basically as a bunch of murderers and looters and burners whose goal is to destroy the nation. Literally we were speaking about NOTHING remotely political. Nothing. Even close. I think we were talking about our kid's school grades or something.

Then she sweetly told me we could still be friends "despite our differences."

Oh f*** no.

• Like 2
  • Author

Also, some things I've noticed about 2 of my friends...they NEVER post on social media about said conspiracy theories....they are the smart ones if you think about it, because they know anyone who reads their posts (their friends) will probably give them an earful.

Although, some of coined these types as the "silent majority".

Edited by QuietRiot
  • Author
4 hours ago, CaliforniaGirl said:

Nearly all the people I know are open-minded and inclusive, science-minded, just...21st century. I actually have no close friends at all who go in for conspiracy belief.

I do have one friend who obviously believes that the numbers are "exaggerated" but she has never tried to convince me and I have never tried to convince her. We still find plenty to talk about.

I did have an acquaintance/sometimes-friend who out of nowhere started texting me the most unbelievable anti-vax, it's a hoax, "they're" trying to control us, it's all a lie stuff you've ever heard. She then proceeded to speak about my political party basically as a bunch of murderers and looters and burners whose goal is to destroy the nation. Literally we were speaking about NOTHING remotely political. Nothing. Even close. I think we were talking about our kid's school grades or something.

Then she sweetly told me we could still be friends "despite our differences."

Oh f*** no.

Oh...I have a friend like this...turns out we're no longer friends on FB....she actually said something similar to the bolded...

The last thing she said to me was:

I believe in relying on oneself and building natural immunity...so all the freaking out is waaaaay outside of my understanding.

But it's primarily coming from people who rely not on themselves, but on doctors, government, etc., to keep them "safe"...which can never be adequately provided.

So she's in that lot of those that you'll do find NOT wearing a mask, as long as you keep your immunity system in check by eating healthy. As far as SHE'S concerned, everyone is "freaking out" over all this.

She is biased of course, as she's had friends and loved ones lose jobs, thus her reasoning in thinking that the pandemic is not THAT BIG of a deal.

It was like:

"What...the govt is shutting things down over this bug? Are they crazy??!!" (SHE thought the shut downs in March/April were ludicrous)

"What, I lost my job over this stupid bug? WTF is wrong with the government?!"

This just launched her into a tyriad of how "The world has lost its ever loving mind!" over a simple bug , according to her. 

To her it's like, 'It's a virus, we're humans, we've been through viruses before, they've come and they've gone, etc etc, no big whoop!"

Edited by QuietRiot
  • Mad 2
CaliforniaGirl

I don't want to be an ass about it, but I wonder how these people would feel about the abject stupidity and crippling weakness of "relying on doctors" if they had cancer. Or heart disease...I have heard this really rather dumb mantra of "Only the weak and easily led would rely on the word of doctors" bit over and over again from people who curl up in a panic over a headache and immediately start popping Tylenol. This world has just gone weird.

2 hours ago, QuietRiot said:

Also, some things I've noticed about 2 of my friends...they NEVER post on social media about said conspiracy theories....they are the smart ones if you think about it, because they know anyone who reads their posts (their friends) will probably give them an earful.

Although, some of coined these types as the "silent majority".

I've heard that phrase over and over again (on the internet). I always want to say: dude. You guys are ANYTHING but silent. 😅 I mean, if only. 😂 I'll take it!

Edited by CaliforniaGirl
  • Like 2

I have not unfriended anyone, but I have unfollowed a few.  I no longer wish to see conspiracy theory rubbish/propaganda on my wall.

I did have one friend I used to work with send me a QAnon link through Messenger.  I kindly told him that I'm not really into that stuff, so he's told me he won't send any more content like that to me.

This virus has definitely highlighted the sheer volume of people out there who are devoid of critical thinking skills.  The irony is that they're the poeple calling everyone else "sheeple." 🙄

• Like 2
2 hours ago, CaliforniaGirl said:

I've heard that phrase over and over again (on the internet). I always want to say: dude. You guys are ANYTHING but silent. 😅 I mean, if only. 😂 I'll take it!

I've said that to people in the comments of a local paper, because too many people keep insisting they're a part of the silent majority. It cracks me up.

I haven't unfriended anyone, but I have argued with them. Those that I've known for years, we have been skirting around each other, and probably snoozing each other on facebook. I was ditched by one person I didn't know that well, and I was fine with it. 

• Like 1
CaliforniaGirl
3 hours ago, Trail Blazer said:

I have not unfriended anyone, but I have unfollowed a few.  I no longer wish to see conspiracy theory rubbish/propaganda on my wall.

I did have one friend I used to work with send me a QAnon link through Messenger.  I kindly told him that I'm not really into that stuff, so he's told me he won't send any more content like that to me.

This virus has definitely highlighted the sheer volume of people out there who are devoid of critical thinking skills.  The irony is that they're the poeple calling everyone else "sheeple." 🙄

Re: sheeple...I find it kinda bizarre that people who are terrified of the most far-fetched out there stuff, afraid to have anyone come near them with a needle, afraid of MSM being some secret plot to deceive the globe, afraid of new cell phones, afraid of a "homosexual agenda," of Bill Gates trying to sterilize them, of an insidious movement to craft a New Order, afraid they won't be able to post American flags or crosses on FB anymore (boy please) and on...and on...and on...and on with terror of....well, every bogeyman possible - tell people who wear masks but otherwise go about our lives, that we're "living in fear."

It's kind of mind-boggling.

The safe and self-protective reaction to all this is to spread REAL news. You know. Memes and dudes on YouTube posting from their kitchen. Because THEY'RE not easily led. (Except by memes and dudes on YouTube posting from their kitchen.) Folks, I....just don't know. I mean it WAS the 21st century, for a while. We couldn't have spun backward any faster from reason and progress if a time machine had been involved.

Edited by CaliforniaGirl
  • Like 2

Nah, my friends are pretty level-headed about the whole situation.  There are more than a few that want to meet-up in person and have a coffee, but I always say nope. I talk to my friends through the phone, text messages, and internet.

• Like 1

I haven't had any issues.  Then again, I try to remain neutral as much possible or just not engage. 

That's been my goal for 2020, so far so good. 🙂

• Like 2

I have lost most of my friends and some family sadly.

Almost all of my friends think it's either a hoax or completely exaggerated. I shamed my friends early on for going out, I didn't want to make them feel bad I just wanted to keep them safe and others.

I had one friend in June go to Arizona, Vegas and Utah for two weeks, hotels, planes, restaurants, visiting family/friends, I thought the trip was suicide.

I also had a friend go to 50 person reunion vacation. 

Most of my friends have traveled, worked, visited friends/family, parties, have not cared about the virus. 

I rejected an invite to my friend 's dinner party with 30 people inside, she hasn't spoken to me since.

My friend's text and taunt me with their photos of their trips and outings and say you still living in fear? You were wrong we're fine etc.

These are friends I've known all my life, now our relationships are ruined or altered.

My cousin and her family I would visit multiple times a month said i can't come over until I'm ready for a normal visit, no distancing, masks and inside. I wanted to visit outside they have a huge backyard and patio, but nope inside or nothing. I guess I could stay outside a bit but no distancing. They wouldn't compromise, I miss them and it's sad because they have little kids and I love them and I miss watching them grow up. This family was terrified of the virus until July 4th, then they decided it's over. They wouldn't leave their house or even get takeout on July 3rd, then the 4th they went on a trip to the beach, hotel, restaurants, amusement park. I think they snapped. They still don't really order in again, so I think they're misinformed and think you can only get it through food. 

I have 2 friends and some family left, that agree the virus is dangerous, I try to not discuss it anymore with people. I am not sure of the contagiousness since everywhere is packed and numbers have only gone up slightly. So who am I to say things are dangerous. 

My friend's wedding wss today 300 people outside, I passed I'm seeing pictures not much distancing happening, shared food, barely any masks. She is furious at me now for not coming. Friends invited me for game night in April/May our usual group of 15-20, they weren't altering the game night. Shared food, usual. I passed haven't spoken to me since.

They all call me fear mongering, sheep, ridiculous. 😢

They just don't care about the virus and don't see why I do. We're in our 20's, they view it as just media crap. 

Edited by Spring1234
  • Sad 3
  • Mad 1
CaliforniaGirl
5 hours ago, Spring1234 said:

I have lost most of my friends and some family sadly.

Almost all of my friends think it's either a hoax or completely exaggerated. I shamed my friends early on for going out, I didn't want to make them feel bad I just wanted to keep them safe and others.

I had one friend in June go to Arizona, Vegas and Utah for two weeks, hotels, planes, restaurants, visiting family/friends, I thought the trip was suicide.

I also had a friend go to 50 person reunion vacation. 

Most of my friends have traveled, worked, visited friends/family, parties, have not cared about the virus. 

I rejected an invite to my friend 's dinner party with 30 people inside, she hasn't spoken to me since.

My friend's text and taunt me with their photos of their trips and outings and say you still living in fear? You were wrong we're fine etc.

These are friends I've known all my life, now our relationships are ruined or altered.

My cousin and her family I would visit multiple times a month said i can't come over until I'm ready for a normal visit, no distancing, masks and inside. I wanted to visit outside they have a huge backyard and patio, but nope inside or nothing. I guess I could stay outside a bit but no distancing. They wouldn't compromise, I miss them and it's sad because they have little kids and I love them and I miss watching them grow up. This family was terrified of the virus until July 4th, then they decided it's over. They wouldn't leave their house or even get takeout on July 3rd, then the 4th they went on a trip to the beach, hotel, restaurants, amusement park. I think they snapped. They still don't really order in again, so I think they're misinformed and think you can only get it through food. 

I have 2 friends and some family left, that agree the virus is dangerous, I try to not discuss it anymore with people. I am not sure of the contagiousness since everywhere is packed and numbers have only gone up slightly. So who am I to say things are dangerous. 

My friend's wedding wss today 300 people outside, I passed I'm seeing pictures not much distancing happening, shared food, barely any masks. She is furious at me now for not coming. Friends invited me for game night in April/May our usual group of 15-20, they weren't altering the game night. Shared food, usual. I passed haven't spoken to me since.

They all call me fear mongering, sheep, ridiculous. 😢

They just don't care about the virus and don't see why I do. We're in our 20's, they view it as just media crap. 

This is really just horrible.

I've had no problem ending both short and long-term friendships and relations because of the pandemic. 

Although it came so unexpectedly, choosing to continuously ignore pretty basic protocol and rules is both putting your life and others at risk. 

We've all had to make sacrifices in our lives, some more than others... but there are those who are intent in living in a world surrounded by them; they are negligent, selfish and immoral. 

It's not propaganda, it's real. A long-term client of mine sadly passed away in June as he contracted Covid - he suffered from mildly severe asthma. He followed all the rules at the time and was an essential worker here in the UK, yet he was ridiculed on a regular basis to and from work because of underlining health conditions by teenagers thinking that anyone with a health condition were 'zombies who do not deserve to live'. What type of thought process is this?

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, CaliforniaGirl said:

Thanks it's been tough. This is why I was questioning the contagiousness of the virus in my last thread. I want to be like my friends, they're having fun, going out, however i can't get there. The virus is serious and I'm too scared to go to parties, socialize and just act like everything is fine. 

CaliforniaGirl
28 minutes ago, Spring1234 said:

Thanks it's been tough. This is why I was questioning the contagiousness of the virus in my last thread. I want to be like my friends, they're having fun, going out, however i can't get there. The virus is serious and I'm too scared to go to parties, socialize and just act like everything is fine. 

Why can't you go out socially distanced and masked? People wear masks but go about their daily lives. Most of us have to. People have to work, grocery shop, etc. 

You literally do not have ANY friends or family members who are being safe? And all of them just literally cut off anyone who won't stand inside a house with them unmasked?

Edited by CaliforniaGirl
5 hours ago, CaliforniaGirl said:

Why can't you go out socially distanced and masked? People wear masks but go about their daily lives. Most of us have to. People have to work, grocery shop, etc. 

You literally do not have ANY friends or family members who are being safe? And all of them just literally cut off anyone who won't stand inside a house with them unmasked?

Oh I do, I go to malls, stores, went to my aunt's pool that now is closed.

I going outdoor dining this week with family and mini golf. 

I just have a few friends and my close family left, which I'm grateful for.

I just have lost most of them. I know it's hard to believe but most don't take the virus seriously and are annoyed by the ones who are.

They don't want precautions because it reminds them of something they want to forget

Edited by Spring1234
LivingWaterPlease

No, I haven't severed friendships with those who believe differently than I do about covid-19 or anything else.

Before covid-19 came along I had many friends who believe differently about a number of things than I do.

I also don't broadcast my beliefs about covid because it's obviously a controversial subject. I don't share opinions that could be divisive with others unless I'm asked. The definition of being courteous and gracious is to do all you can to make others comfortable (Unless, of course, it violates your own conscience). And sharing an opinion that is different than someone else's when the subject at hand is known to be divisive could make the person uncomfortable.

I'm in a situation where I must interact with a person who has a strong belief that is the total opposite of what I believe about covid. She is obnoxious with her opinions, going so far as to explain that she holds her beliefs (different than mine, she knows this because she has pushed me to agree with her and I haven't done it) because she is "educated," insinuating that she believes herself to be superior. This same person doesn't understand why her bf's children didn't want her to see him anymore and why she wasn't allowed to attend his funeral (before covid).

I am still very kind to this person. And I notice that she is quite condescending toward many others. It's no wonder she has so few friends.

My experience has been that folks who look down on others for having a different opinion than they hold are not the type of people who are interesting and/or gracious.

Edited by LivingWaterPlease
remove a space
  • Author
10 hours ago, CaliforniaGirl said:

The problem here is...that some of these people were "following the rules" back in March, but now as time passes, they are like "Screw this crap! I'm not living in fear anymore!" And toss the mask in the garbage.

You think it's bad now? You wait until Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, people will go ALL OUT maskless come the holiday gatherings, if they haven't already.

Edited by QuietRiot

Bro, I was chilling sitting on my residential building stairs after carrying my bags of groceries, and this random guy who lives here shows up from nowhere talking about how people are living in fear and how the news and the newspapers and the journalists are lying and that this virus ain't nothing to wory about. Meanwhile I'm 9 feet away from him and wearing my face mask lol, nodding at this crazy person so that he doesn't lose his mental.

• Author
1 hour ago, Azincourt said:

Bro, I was chilling sitting on my residential building stairs after carrying my bags of groceries, and this random guy who lives here shows up from nowhere talking about how people are living in fear and how the news and the newspapers and the journalists are lying and that this virus ain't nothing to wory about. Meanwhile I'm 9 feet away from him and wearing my face mask lol, nodding at this crazy person so that he doesn't lose his mental.

LOL...you know, sometimes...I do feel like IM the crazy person wearing the mask, like we're seen as the equivalent to those who wear tin foil hats.  Esp. when we are out driving and we see people in the downtown area, no masks, no social distancing, out playing corn hole at a local watering hole.

I am seeing a common theme with Harley Davidson riders, drinking, boozing it up, partiers, confederate flag emblems on their trucks with shotgun racks, etc. with those that are anti-mask