What do you think of copy and pasting poetry as a 1st message instead of a customized message?

My account on POF was hacked and I saw a bunch of new messages all of a sudden. I checked and my picture/height were changed and the message the hacker was sending out was this long paragraph with poetry, saying something like "A picture is worth a thousand words, but no words can describe the way my heart felt when I saw your beauty" and it just went on like that. The "about me" section also rambled with this poetry saying how his "heart aches trying to find the love of his life" and all this nonsense like that.

Considering how many responses came back I'm thinking of stealing the poetry opening message or maybe finding some other kind of love poetry and sending it. What do you think? It takes no effort from me and seems to work pretty well even after I changed the picture and height back. 

2 minutes ago, max3732 said:

My account on POF was hacked

Considering how many responses came back I'm thinking of stealing the poetry opening message or maybe finding some other kind of love poetry and sending it. What do you think? It takes no effort from me and seems to work pretty well even after I changed the picture and height back. 

Hopefully you have deleted the account and changes all your passwords on all your accounts especially  your email used for pof.

I would be turned off by lame poetry rather than an original message about oneself. It screams lazy.

• Thanks 1

I have had opening messaged like this and instantly deleted them. You know they aren't personalized and it's also, weird? It's online dating, you don't know the person, why send them poetry? Not attractive. JMO.

Edited by JRabbit
  • Author
1 hour ago, Wiseman2 said:

Hopefully you have deleted the account and changes all your passwords on all your accounts especially  your email used for pof.

I would be turned off by lame poetry rather than an original message about oneself. It screams lazy.

Yes, I had to delete my account. I email POF tech support and it's like talking to a robot. I asked how someone was able to access my account, change the phone number associated with the account and change the height and pictures to a different person without them ever confirming with me at the original number or email. Their response was a link to generic internet safety such as not giving out personal financial info. I also asked how I can be sure that the women I'm messaging haven't had their accounts hacked and what assurance they can give or steps I can take to prevent this from happening with my new account. Their answer was that continuing to delete accounts could cause you to be banned by the platform. I really think I'm talking to a bot.

The message seems really lazy to me too. I read through the whole thing and it never mentions anything about the person your messaging. Yet I can't argue with results. Although all the women that responded were not ones I would have messaged. Maybe they were just happy to have someone younger message them?

Might be more interesting as a bit of a social experiment than actually for your most serious profile/site. You could see what sort of women you attract and if any "bite" or they just orbit. I'm not sure you'd want to form LTRs with women who respond to this sort of "fluff" BUT I could certainly be wrong about that. There are apparently those out there (and presumably men too) who respond well to the written word...

Caveat: I'm not dating.

Edited by mark clemson
On 9/17/2020 at 12:54 PM, GorillaTheater said:

Maybe a nice, flirty haiku:

"You seem so sturdy;
your frame, fit to bear children
and work my farmlands."

Is that by the famous poet Dwight Shcrute? :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hmmm poetry as nonsense, fluff, a turn off...clearly missing the point and not seeing what those who may like it see...when you can see how a reasonable women may like it (and why) without presupposing she is a fool or it derives from some other negative character trait then you will be much wiser in the ways of the heart.  Of course these women may not be what you are after so don't quit your day job to pursue these answers :) 

On 9/17/2020 at 10:54 AM, GorillaTheater said:

"You seem so sturdy;
and work my farmlands."

You won the LoveShack today, sir!

Edited by Mrin
  • Like 1

One fish, two fish

Are you a catfish? 

If I give you a call

Will you answer at all?

Will I be in the friendzone

After date one or 10 or none?

After we go out

Will you start to shout?

Will you turn into Godzilla 

Or maybe bridezilla?

Are your exes lazy?

Or will I hear all about crazy?

So lady on the site

Please be somewhat right

• Like 2
On 9/18/2020 at 1:29 AM, max3732 said:

My account on POF was hacked and I saw a bunch of new messages all of a sudden. I checked and my picture/height were changed and the message the hacker was sending out was this long paragraph with poetry, saying something like "A picture is worth a thousand words, but no words can describe the way my heart felt when I saw your beauty" and it just went on like that. The "about me" section also rambled with this poetry saying how his "heart aches trying to find the love of his life" and all this nonsense like that.

They weren’t responding to the message. They were responding to the picture. That guy / those guys sent out tons of those copy paste messages and a few hit the “right” kind of women. 

And no, you shouldn’t send a poem. It’s really lame. The women who respond to that are completely gullible and lonely. Thats how they get scammed. 

• Like 1
On 9/18/2020 at 2:54 AM, GorillaTheater said:

"You seem so sturdy;
and work my farmlands."

Someones gotta try this one and report back to us

• Like 3
CaliforniaGirl
On 9/17/2020 at 8:29 AM, max3732 said:

Did you really get responses??? This is what I get on Interpals from Nigerian guys.

• Like 1
CaliforniaGirl
On 9/17/2020 at 9:54 AM, GorillaTheater said:

"You seem so sturdy;
and work my farmlands."

I...I'm weak.

• Like 2
  • Author
6 hours ago, CaliforniaGirl said:

Did you really get responses??? This is what I get on Interpals from Nigerian guys.

Yes. I was shocked! When my account was first hacked I changed the password and was trying to figure out how to change the number back and thought I would be able to just change the pictures/height/bio info back and keep using the account. The first thing I did was delete the pictures and change the height back. After that I got a response saying something like "Thanks for the compliment. If a picture is worth 1,000 words why don't you have any pictures on your profile?" I also got like 3 other responses introducing themselves. These were all women I wouldn't have messaged, but still...

I'm just very frustrated with going through these profiles and writing personalized messages that get no response when some long copy and paste poetry gets a whole bunch.

CaliforniaGirl
4 hours ago, max3732 said:

Yes. I was shocked! When my account was first hacked I changed the password and was trying to figure out how to change the number back and thought I would be able to just change the pictures/height/bio info back and keep using the account. The first thing I did was delete the pictures and change the height back. After that I got a response saying something like "Thanks for the compliment. If a picture is worth 1,000 words why don't you have any pictures on your profile?" I also got like 3 other responses introducing themselves. These were all women I wouldn't have messaged, but still...

I'm just very frustrated with going through these profiles and writing personalized messages that get no response when some long copy and paste poetry gets a whole bunch.

Well then keep the poetry, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like it, but I'm pretty unusual in lots of ways ( let's call it that! 😜 )

Especially if you wrote it yourself and it was witty!

• Like 1
  • Author
23 hours ago, Ellener said:

I'd like it, but I'm pretty unusual in lots of ways ( let's call it that! 😜 )

Especially if you wrote it yourself and it was witty!

Would it have to be some ways customized towards you or would you still like it if you could tell (or suspected) it was copied and pasted off the internet?

2 hours ago, max3732 said:

Would it have to be some ways customized towards you or would you still like it if you could tell (or suspected) it was copied and pasted off the internet?

Hmm, I wouldn't mind I guess, if it was in good taste/humorous. Had we but world enough and time...

I remembered something today, the last time a man wrote poetry to me it was kind-of snarky and put me off! We already knew each other a bit and he was definitely cute but really sexist. Don't do that 😄

I just remembered a man wrote a Valentine's Day poem to me this year ( he is a writer! ) It didn't mean much though since he called me a couple of days later saying though he wanted to get to know me better he had already started sleeping with someone else.

Again, don't do that...😄

• Author
7 hours ago, Ellener said:

I just remembered a man wrote a Valentine's Day poem to me this year ( he is a writer! ) It didn't mean much though since he called me a couple of days later saying though he wanted to get to know me better he had already started sleeping with someone else.

Again, don't do that...😄

Did it mean much when you first received it? Was it someone you knew (thought) you knew well at the time or someone you just met? I'm just trying to find the right woman and am still a virgin. I won't be sleeping with someone and talking with someone else