Is it a bad idea to try to date autistic women mainly?

ironpony

I feel like I keep failing in relalionships with women and I feel like maybe it's because I am autistic.  I wonder maybe I should just stick to women who are as well, and not bother with non-autistic women, unless of course they approach me and all, but otherwise not bother to actually pursue any more that are not autistic as well.

Or is this a bad idea, and it's just too limiting, and therefore not the answer?

CaliforniaGirl
2 hours ago, ironpony said:

Oh okay, what kind of professional evaluation?

You haven't been diagnosed autistic? I wouldn't self-diagnose, personally. A psychiatrist or neuropsych can diagnose you. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ironpony said:

Oh okay, what kind of professional evaluation?

that's where an evaluation is done by a professional

7 hours ago, ironpony said:

I feel like I keep failing in relalionships with women and I feel like maybe it's because I am autistic.  I wonder maybe I should just stick to women who are as well, and not bother with non-autistic women, unless of course they approach me and all, but otherwise not bother to actually pursue any more that are not autistic as well.

Or is this a bad idea, and it's just too limiting, and therefore not the answer?

It's a bad idea to self diagnose . It's a bad idea to not see a neurologist. It's an even worse idea to post discriminatory posts.

• Like 2
  • Author

Oh I see what you mean.  Yes I have been diagnosed with autism, twice in my life.  The first time was as a kid, but I don't know if it was a neurologist that did it.  The second time was by a psychologist though, unless I should see a neurologist, instead of relying on a psychologist's diagnosis?

Edited by ironpony
23 minutes ago, ironpony said:

Oh I see what you mean.  Yes I have been diagnosed with autism, twice in my life.  The first time was as a kid, but I don't know if it was a neurologist that did it.  The second time was by a psychologist though, unless I should see a neurologist, instead of relying on a psychologist's diagnosis?

some form of M.D. with a stellar reputation would be ideal

• Author

Oh okay, well even other people say they think I am who are not even doctors when I talk about it, so if other people are thinking I am, then wouldn't the doctors who have diagnosed me before likely have been right?

• Like 2
CautiouslyOptimistic
20 minutes ago, ironpony said:

Oh okay, well even other people say they think I am who are not even doctors when I talk about it, so if other people are thinking I am, then wouldn't the doctors who have diagnosed me before likely have been right?

I would assume since you've been told twice you are autistic by medical professionals, you are most likely autistic.  I don't think a third opinion is necessary.

How about giving it a try to date someone autistic.  Is there a dating app for folks on the spectrum?

4 hours ago, ironpony said:

Oh okay.  Well it's just I haven't been able to find many on dating sites so far, but I can keep looking.

go to the internet and find a group that specializes in autistic folks near you.

CaliforniaGirl
7 hours ago, elaine567 said:

ironpony is 36. 
I don't really think we should be questioning his autistic diagnosis.

I thought he was the one who asked about how to get diagnosed. I was answering that.

CaliforniaGirl
5 hours ago, ironpony said:

Just forget this part, if you've been diagnosed you've been diagnosed.

If you want to go out with an autistic person then do. But you know as well as anyone that autistic people are as varied as neurotypical people. You do have autism as a common ground so it could be your starting off point. The rest is up to you guys. IMO it doesn't make much sense to decide ahead of time to exclusively date one category of people, though, especially never having dated anyone in that category, though not only for that reason.

Slow down, just get to the date first.

You don't need to make an all-or-nothing decision now, like "from now on I'll only date autistic women".  Just try dating an autistic woman and see how it goes.  Maybe you'll have more in common and understand each other better.  It doesn't necessarily mean you will ONLY date autistic women for the rest of your life.  You will meet different people, some autistic and some not, and take it on a case-by-case basis.