Pfizer says early analysis shows its Covid-19 vaccine is more than 90% effective

Of course it makes perfect commercial sense.
Businesses will not want to admit unvaccinated people into their place of business, whether that be a live gig, a restaurant, a hotel or a hair stylist... and thus be held be responsible for spreading it around their area, resulting in sick or dead people.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, elaine567 said:

Of course it makes perfect commercial sense.
Businesses will not want to admit unvaccinated people into their place of business, whether that be a live gig, a restaurant, a hotel or a hair stylist... and thus be held be responsible for spreading it around their area, resulting in sick or dead people.

Right, so will end up being required...from a certain point of view. 😉

• Like 1
2 hours ago, serial muse said:

I think there are a lot assumptions in here that make this kind of unanswerable. But, some thoughts:

1) we don't actually know if it'll become seasonal, and whether the virus will mutate to a less deadly form

2) not sure what you mean by "a small viral charge" but people don't get the flu from a flu vaccine. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/misconceptions.htm Not sure if you receive other vaccinations but as I said in my earlier email, both weak and dead virus vaccines are used for all sorts of things, from polio to chicken pox. Flu is no different. There isn't a good reason not to get one, and there's no viral charge from getting one.

3) that said, people are weird about it and there's no reason to think they won't be equally weird about a COVID19 vaccine, and probably much more so given that it's been converted into a political issue. I don't think we can get to herd immunity with just 50% of the population; you need a much higher percentage, at least 70% I think. If it does become a seasonal thing, then I hope that, first of all, wearing masks become depoliticized and restored to the realm of common sense. And second, of course people won't be required to carry papers, and people won't be forced to vaccinate. However, if there are large outbreaks in the future, there may be periodic episodes of lockdown, particularly if the masking and social distancing remains politicized, and people refuse to take the vaccine. I would imagine that kids who refuse to get the vaccine might also not be able to attend public schools. 

4) As for who pays - I'd imagine it'll be much like it is for the "free" flu shot. Insurance companies find a way to make you pay, and as universal healthcare remains a pipe dream in the US, that's how it'll be for the foreseeable future. 

"A new review published in Frontiers in Public Health suggests that COVID-19, the illness caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus, will likely follow suit and become seasonal in countries with temperate climates, but only when herd immunity is attained. Until that time, COVID-19 will continue to circulate across the seasons"

When I said viral charge it was my understanding a small part of the virus is injected and the immune system fights it off. "The flu shot works by introducing your body to tiny little parts of different flu viruses. This triggers a reaction from your immune system — the processes in your body that fight off infection. Your immune system realizes these virus fragments shouldn't be in your body, and figures out how to destroy them"

I too do hope it becomes depoliticized but people are not really known for common sense. I guess we can "threaten" people with the alternative of getting vaccinated which is a lock down.

My thought would be to "get back to normal" as soon as the vaccine is widely available for those who wish to have it. That's how I intend to behave as much as will be permitted. So long as the most vulnerable (elderly) are still protected, e.g. by stronger distancing measures. Those who choose to not take the vaccine are welcome to take their risks. Vaccines are now part of the environment (as are many man-made things) and natural selection will sooner or later kick in anyhow. It's not really avoidable.

Personally I can't wait to hit the gym again, it's been way too long.

19 hours ago, QuietRiot said:

Right, so will end up being required...from a certain point of view. 😉

But that's capitalism. It's a very different manner of going about it. Businesses choose, people can choose. From a public health standpoint, it's less effective than a more top-down approach, but probably the best we're going to get in the US. 

Edited by serial muse
6 minutes ago, serial muse said:

But that's capitalism. It's a very different manner of going about it. Businesses choose, people can choose. From a public health standpoint, it's less effective than a more top-down approach, but probably the best we're going to get in the US. 

Good point, like I know certain chain stores where people are pretty good about most all of them coming into the stores wearing masks...even if it's only asked. So we can see that people are doing their part by actually caring about their fellow human beings.

• Author
Happy Lemming
21 hours ago, MrPlop said:

I lost my insurance along with my job.

A few years back when I didn't have health insurance, I went to Sam's Club for my flu shot.  I think the cost was around $30.  If memory serves, I didn't have to make an appointment and the whole process took about 15 minutes. 

The good news since this thread was started: Moderna also reported fantastic results (95 percent) with its version of a vaccine, also an RNA approach.

And the Moderna version doesn't need to be kept at the same cold temperatures as the Pfizer vaccine. My understanding is that the Moderna vaccine can be kept in a normal freezer. 

Other good news is that apparently the Ebola vaccine also had to be kept at some super cold temperature (like Pfizer's) and the public health folks figured out a way to do that, even in areas with sporadic electricity or no electricity. But the Ebola vaccine didn't have to go to billions of people. 

• Like 1