Dating during coronavirus. is it always awkward?

I recently had a virtual "first date" with a guy I met on Tinder. We had been texting before and had really good conversations and made a lot of jokes. He asked me if we could try doing a zoom call for a virtual first date and I agreed. 

There was a lot of awkward pauses, and when there's awkward silence I just start smiling or kinda giggling. When that happened he would either ask like "what's so funny" or "you good?" and I was just like "yeah I just don't know what to say". He asked some questions, I told him about myself, so there were moments where we had a good conversation, but I definitely felt so awkward, even though I did really like him! I feel like I came across more confident over text than I did live. Then I had to leave abruptly because my sister needed help carrying something. I didn't want him to think I didn't like him so I sent a text later and was like "sorry I was so awkward!". He said it was all good and asked if my sister was okay. 

I usually feel more confident on in person dates, but now I just think he thinks I'm hella weird (maybe he's right lol). Has anyone else experienced awkward virtual first dates? I'm curious to hear others' stories!