Christmas - sincere or not?

I do not like people who wish you Happy Christmas to get into your life.  If the relationship/friendship is not good during the year, then they are just exploiting the situation and you. Christmas can be lovely, but only if the rest of the year is not-too-bad. I am in my 60s, maybe younger people are less cynical. Not simultaneously, but over time I have had 2  narcissists who expect my defences will be down, when that will never happen  for them. 

Is there anybody else thinks  like me? 

Edited by deepthinking

Err.. what? Since when is wishing someone Happy Christmas trying to get into their life?

And what does your defences being down have to do with someone wishing you Happy Christmas?

Maybe if you elaborate on this specific scenario that has happened to you your post might make more sense.

• Author
15 minutes ago, ShakeShake said:

Err.. what? Since when is wishing someone Happy Christmas trying to get into their life?

As I said, they were narcissists each with a track record of unpleasantness.

And what does your defences being down have to do with someone wishing you Happy Christmas?

I do not want to get involved with narcissists.

Maybe if you elaborate on this specific scenario that has happened to you your post might more sense.

"No need to be rude. No narcissist is worth knowing. 

I do not have a problem to solve. I just wanted opinions

Edited by deepthinking
  • Confused 1

On some level, wishing somebody a Merry Christmas is just something to say.  I say some version of it to everyone in December.  I don't really go out of my way to find people or insert myself into their lives but there probably a few who get cards from me who aren't part of my daily life the rest of the year.  It isn't insincere.  It's just life. 

If someone reaches out to you at the holidays return the sentiment that you hope they have more good than bad & get on with your life.  Don't make yourself crazy over analyzing.  

Cookiesandough

I don’t see it that way. I don’t get offended when people say Happy Hanukkah or Happy Kwanzaa or bless you when I sneeze or namaste or salam or any of that stuff, either. I recognize these as nice gestures related to someone else’s beliefs. I don’t assume ill motives or passive aggression. 

Edited by Shortskirtslonglashes
  • Like 3

Why do you believe that someone would say Happy Christmas to get into someone's life?   It makes no sense that a throwaway sentiment should have the power to open doors into someone's life.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, deepthinking said:

I do not like people who wish you Happy Christmas to get into your life.  If the relationship/friendship is not good during the year, then they are just exploiting the situation and you. 

There are a few choices.

Delete and block the  "not good" friendships/relationships.

Ignore it.

Decide what you want. You're not a victim of Christmas greetings.

Edited by Wiseman2
  • Like 3
8 hours ago, basil67 said:

Why do you believe that someone would say Happy Christmas to get into someone's life?   It makes no sense that a throwaway sentiment should have the power to open doors into someone's life.

Exactly. Go figure. Most people get all sorts of holiday greetings. Heck my insurance company sends them.