Revenge

littleblackheart

My friend's partner has taken the habit of going on a revenge spree to emotionally control her every time she says or does something he perceives as a slight. His threshold for perceived slight is pretty low, for context.

He uses his extensive network of friends to humiliate or degrade her in public, twists her words to make it sound like she is unstable, blackmails her into staying in the relationship with talks of not wanting to be abandoned, uses her past or confessions she stupidly made to him against her, etc. It's a non exhaustive list.

I think she's mad to stay. She's all about the 'connection' and the 'promise' made not to leave him. It's like she's under a spell. People should be free to leave a relationship at any point without guilt or fear, no? 

Have any of you used this method, revenge, to keep control of your partner and managed to change their way? Or should she run for the hills? What would advise her? 

No.  This sounds crazy and your friend needs therapy to get to the root of her lack of self esteem.  I wouldn't advise her anything if this is what she wants.

• Thanks 1
  • Author
littleblackheart
8 minutes ago, stillafool said:

No.  This sounds crazy and your friend needs therapy to get to the root of her lack of self esteem.  I wouldn't advise her anything if this is what she wants.

Agreed. She doesn't know what she wants. That's a big problem.

Edited by littleblackheart
13 minutes ago, stillafool said:

I wouldn't advise her anything if this is what she wants.

Agreed. She has to work through something I guess.

• Thanks 1
  • Author
littleblackheart
13 minutes ago, Ellener said:

Agreed. She has to work through something I guess.

She does. Baffling to witness. Hope she's going to be ok.

God that sounds insane, what a disgusting thing to do to your own partner. Hope she wakes up one day.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Removed inappropriate comment.
  • Like 1

Is she the type to grumble and  even exagerrate about the bad but not discuss the good? Sounds like her priorities arise from lovey-dovey talk "the 'connection' and the 'promise" and she just vents to you. 

One thing - how does he manage to assemble all of his friends to "humiliate or degrade her in public" when and where as well as how? cuz that would take a lot of organising. Does he get on the phone ...?

Edited by deepthinking
  • Thanks 1

She should run for the hills but she won't until she's ready.  No amount of logic or reason will convince her to do as you say.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Author
littleblackheart
6 minutes ago, deepthinking said:

Is she the type to grumble and  even exagerrate about the bad but not discuss the good? Sounds like her priorities arise from lovey-dovey talk "the 'connection' and the 'promise" and she just vents to you. 

Not her style, no. She very rarely shares stuff or asks for support or advice. 

9 minutes ago, deepthinking said:

One thing - how does he manage to assemble all of his friends to "humiliate or degrade her in public" when and where as well as how? cuz that would take a lot of organising. Does he get on the phone ...?

Apparently he has a bucketful of time and energy to spend on this one person. Seems a time waste to me...

9 minutes ago, d0nnivain said:

She should run for the hills but she won't until she's ready.  No amount of logic or reason will convince her to do as you say.  

I think the more we talk, the more she can see the light. She just needs to know she has a support network when she decides on what to do, which she does, and that her hunch is validated. 

4 minutes ago, littleblackheart said:

I think the more we talk, the more she can see the light. She just needs to know she has a support network when she decides on what to do, which she does, and that her hunch is validated. 

Good but you need to listen more than talk.  Ask pointed Qs so she reaches her own conclusions.  Do be there as a support.  

• Like 2
4 hours ago, littleblackheart said:

She's all about the 'connection' and the 'promise' made not to leave him. It's like she's under a spell. People should be free to leave a relationship at any point without guilt or fear, no? 

Read up on 'Stockholm Syndrome'. Many in abusive relationships are so brainwashed they can't leave. Don't talk about their relationship. She needs professional advice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have any of you used this method, revenge, to keep control of your partner and managed to change their way? Or should she run for the hills? What would advise her? 

Seriously?  Of course she should run for the hills.  She is in an abusive relationship.

So basically she is choosing to stay in an abusive relationship.  Nothing you say or do can make her do anything.  If you've already told her your opinion, and she's choosing to stay, then you should really just take a step back and stay out of it.  At the risk of using a phrase that is becoming a cliche on this board.... you are not her therapist.  Only she can choose to make a change in her life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Or should she run for the hills? What would advise her? 

I think I'd advise her to consider seeking help from resources for battered women and then get out of there. While there's no physical abuse, this does sound like a pattern of emotional abuse and it could in theory intensify.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Run for the hills, but do it safely as such controlling people are usually just one step away from physical abuse.

Unless she promised to love him even if he abused her (even then) she is not breaking her "promise" to leave an abuser (even if just emotional and verbal).  In my book a person who abuses you has broken their promises to you, and you are perfectly morally and ethically justified to leave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Author
littleblackheart
On 1/14/2021 at 6:36 PM, ShyViolet said:

At the risk of using a phrase that is becoming a cliche on this board.... you are not her therapist.  Only she can choose to make a change in her life

I'm not sure I agree with this. When I was in an abusive relationship, what has helped me come to my senses was talking it over with close friends and family over and over. Their validation of my feelings (because they knew him) gave me the courage to leave.

• Like 2
  • Author
littleblackheart
1 hour ago, SumGuy said:

Run for the hills, but do it safely as such controlling people are usually just one step away from physical abuse.

Agreed. She needs a plan on how to extricate herself while keeping herself safe.

1 hour ago, SumGuy said:

In my book a person who abuses you has broken their promises to you, and you are perfectly morally and ethically justified to leave

True, but easier said than done. 

1 hour ago, littleblackheart said:

I'm not sure I agree with this. When I was in an abusive relationship, what has helped me come to my senses was talking it over with close friends and family over and over. Their validation of my feelings (because they knew him) gave me the courage to leave.

Yes close friends and family are the best people to talk these situations over with and you're lucky you have them to turn to.

• Like 1
  • Author
littleblackheart
27 minutes ago, stillafool said:

Yes close friends and family are the best people to talk these situations over with and you're lucky you have them to turn to.

I am lucky and grateful to have them, and so is she. I appreciate that not everyone has this choice, though.