she was seeing not one, but 2 therapists, which I found odd

dramafreezone
On 1/15/2021 at 5:23 PM, alphamale said:

Happiness and contentment come from within and not from multiple therapists.  You have to figure it out yourself!

What does that mean, comes "from within?"  No one just creates contentment and happiness out of thin air.  That's not true for anyone.  We all get our happiness from something that we've created or accomplished for ourselves, be it a satisfying career, great physical shape, finding someone that loves us, or a combination of all of this.

What does some homeless guy living under a bridge have to be happy about?  Try as he might, he can tell himself he's happy and content but he hasn't taken action to make that happen.  You don't just create happiness from within, you do it by accomplishing goals, seeking those things that will make you happy.  And not everyone is perfect.  Some people benefit from having some direction to get where they want to go.  That's where therapists come in.

Edited by dramafreezone
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, alphamale said:

God only helps when you help yourself 

Seeking therapy is helping yourself.  

• Like 2
5 hours ago, basil67 said:

What makes you assume that the two therapists aren't working in a complimentary way?

After Harvey ( flooding ) I was really ill with anxiety, I had a handful of therapy sessions with two counsellors working together, it was brilliant, they worked so well together and I very quickly was helped to put together my plan for moving forward. I was at the same time seeing a psychiatrist for the panic attacks. I also had two sessions with his wife who helped run the practice, on practical non-med ways of managing anxiety disorder.

Best to get the best support and deal with mental health issues I think or it becomes a lifelong pattern of not coping or being held back emotionally. 

💮

Not sure how it would all come up in the context of dating a stranger though? @QuietRiot 

Was she suggesting you would benefit from therapy?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, alphamale said:

God only helps when you help yourself 

You mean like go for therapy if you need it?! 😃

• Like 3
On 1/15/2021 at 8:19 PM, Lotsgoingon said:

Another unfortunate fact is that some of the best therapists are expensive and they aren't "in network" for any insurance plans.

Yes, and a lot won't take insurance, the better ones. I paid cash, and a fund for people affected by Harvey covered the other tandem-therapy sessions.

23 minutes ago, Ellener said:

Yes, and a lot won't take insurance, the better ones. I paid cash, and a fund for people affected by Harvey covered the other tandem-therapy sessions.

That’s another good point.

It’s freaking expensive to get therapy so to suggest someone does it on a whim or for someone to agree with them is just so misguided.