littleblackheart

Generally, when I suffer from insomnia (current status) it's stress-related so I basically need to address the source of stress.

Other than that, the advice I've been given was to switch all screens off 2 hours before bed, keep your bedroom as a safe haven for sleeping only and try to establish a routine (have a calming bath with soothing smells, read a book / listen to music, go to bed a a regular time). 

The other thing is melatonine just before bedtime (it does work!).

What have you tried so far?

• Like 1
  • Author
59 minutes ago, littleblackheart said:

Generally, when I suffer from insomnia (current status) it's stress-related so I basically need to address the source of stress.

Other than that, the advice I've been given was to switch all screens off 2 hours before bed, keep your bedroom as a safe haven for sleeping only and try to establish a routine (have a calming bath with soothing smells, read a book / listen to music, go to bed a a regular time). 

The other thing is melatonine just before bedtime (it does work!).

What have you tried so far?

I've tried quite a lot... Melatonin (started on 1mg and then increased to 5mg), valerian root, a relaxing essential oils infused bath before bed, reading before bed, a magnesium supplement, hardcore sleeping pills (my doctor told me to only use those for 5 days, but they didn't do much and after the 5 days it only got worse). Now I'm on an anti-depressant that, if taking 1/3 of the pill, is used to treat sleep issues, also prescribed by my doctor. But it isn't working either... 

I can't stop monitoring myself if I'm asleep yet and start panicking eventually. My eyelids won't stay shut. When I start drifting off I become very aware of that and yank myself back to being awake. My job is probably the culprint of anxiety (my team started working with a new client and it's chaotic as hell) but I can't just quit in the middle of a lockdown. Wish I could find a way to sleep better :(

Edited by EternalClarity
  • Sad 1
josedelamuerte

Do you meditate?

The thinking mind can be very useful for some things, but absolutely terrible for others. Like being happy and at peace.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, EternalClarity said:

Now I'm on an anti-depressant that, if taking 1/3 of the pill, is used to treat sleep issues, also prescribed by my doctor. 

Talk to your doctor about these side effects.

Stop using all these unregulated potentially damaging supplements which interfere and compete with medications as well as ranging from being useless to unhealthy.

Many exacerbate your problems, have unknown unregulated substances and many can give you headaches and other problems.

These substances are Not tested nor regulated by the FDA, and many have dangerous contaminants or actually just a useless trace of the purported active ingredient.

Flush all the supplements down the toilet and improve your lifestyle habits.

Use more natural approaches.

Make sure you are eating well. Make sure you get sunlight, some outdoor time and physical activities every day.

Stop any caffeine or simulants at least 6 hours before you plan to sleep. 

Made sure your sleep situation is conducive to proper rest. Comfortable. Quiet. Dark. Cool enough. Fresh air. And a clean comfortable mattress and bedding.

Don't watch or view news, overly stimulating topics on your TV or devices before bed.

Most of all, see your doctor if these medications are not working or have side effects.

• Author
4 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Talk to your doctor about these side effects.

Stop using all these unregulated potentially damaging supplements which interfere and compete with medications as well as ranging from being useless to unhealthy.

Many exacerbate your problems, have unknown unregulated substances and many can give you headaches and other problems.

These substances are Not tested nor regulated by the FDA, and many have dangerous contaminants or actually just a useless trace of the purported active ingredient.

Flush all the supplements down the toilet and improve your lifestyle habits.

Use more natural approaches.

Make sure you are eating well. Make sure you get sunlight, some outdoor time and physical activities every day.

Stop any caffeine or simulants at least 6 hours before you plan to sleep. 

Made sure your sleep situation is conducive to proper rest. Comfortable. Quiet. Dark. Cool enough. Fresh air. And a clean comfortable mattress and bedding.

Don't watch or view news, overly stimulating topics on your TV or devices before bed.

Most of all, see your doctor if these medications are not working or have side effects.

I am using what my doctor has prescribed - magnesium and thiamin supplements along with the 1/3 of the antidepressant. Here in Europe prescribing supplements is a common pratice, I doubt they are unregulated or include dangerous substances. 

I only drink herbal teas, no coffee, no green/black tea. No devices before bed, except for my kindle. A dark cool bedroom, no noises coming from my neighbours. It all looks like a perfect setup for a good night's sleep, and yet my brain won't shut off. I am almost ashamed of not being able to sleep, since I have nothing to complain about. But as the hours go by, a panicking feeling starts creeping in. As if I am burried alive in a dark coffin. 

• Like 2
littleblackheart
42 minutes ago, EternalClarity said:

My job is probably the culprint of anxiety (my team started working with a new client and it's chaotic as hell) but I can't just quit in the middle of a lockdown. Wish I could find a way to sleep better :(

Work anxiety / stress is so hard to deal with, so much of it is out of your hands. Can you take some time out?

• Author
36 minutes ago, josedelamuerte said:

Do you meditate?

The thinking mind can be very useful for some things, but absolutely terrible for others. Like being happy and at peace.

No, I don't. Should definitely start meditating. It is a little bit intimidating, as I am sure it will take a lot of practice for me. My mind is a minefield

• Like 2
josedelamuerte
27 minutes ago, EternalClarity said:

No, I don't. Should definitely start meditating. It is a little bit intimidating, as I am sure it will take a lot of practice for me. My mind is a minefield

There are some nice apps for guided meditation out there now. I used "Headspace" for a while, and found it very beginner-friendly. Good luck!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, EternalClarity said:

Any tricks for falling asleep fast? 

Fast no but setting the stage & having a routine help.  It sounds like you have started some of this. 

1.  Have a calming space.  No mess on the floor, no clutter, especially no stuff on the bed.   Keep the temperature cool.  If it's too dark & you feel buried alive look into a soft dim night light not LED that can be plugged in across the room.   I like the ones called moonlights, very soft shouldn't interfere with sleep but cast a glow in the room.

2.  Get into a routine that starts at least one hour before you expect to fall asleep.  It's your getting read for bed routine.  Turn off ALL electronics -- no phone, no computer & no TV.  It's best if you don't even have them in your bedroom.   Have a cup of tea or water or whatever (not alcohol).  Put on your pajamas.   Brush your teeth.  Then sit down & read for a little while. 

3.  When you are ready to go to sleep, climb into bed, & get comfortable*.  You can do muscle relaxations, deep breathing meditation or prayer.  Part of this needs to include reaffirmation that you are safe. 

* do not regularly do other things in bed like eat, watch TV or even read.  You need to retrain your body that when you climb into bed, it's time for sleep

Hopefully that combo works to quiet your mind. 

• Like 1
Happy Lemming

Do you have "over the counter" benadryl or Diphenhydramine (where you live)??

I use that from time to time. 

• Like 1
Ruby Slippers
6 hours ago, EternalClarity said:

I've had bouts of insomnia, during the pandemic, unusual for me. Other people I know are dealing with the same thing.

I agree on meditation. And it doesn't have to be intimidating. I do it most every day. Just close your eyes and focus on your breathing. It might help to think "in, out" or "I... am" or you can find a mantra if that helps you. You can also just focus on the whir of a fan or whatever. The point is not to think about anything. It's natural that your mind starts to wander. You might start off only able to not think for 5 seconds... then 10... then a minute... and so on. The most I can do so far is about 20 minutes. But even a short bit of it helps clear the cobwebs from the mind at any time of day.

Regular exercise helps as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Cookiesandough

I’ve been dealing with it my whole life. I think I am getting a little better grip on it. Emphasis on “little”. This is what I’ve tried in order of ‘minor, I’m tired but I need a little push’ to ‘WHY AM I STILL WIRED PLZ SOME1 HIT ME AND KNOCK ME OUT I HAVE TO SLEEP’

1. chamomile tea with some milk and honey ... chamomile and milk is supposed to make you sleepy. Honey to make the taste more tolerable, because I’m personally not a fan 

2. ASMR videos or guided meditation.  This is people on YouTube whispering into the camera or moving their hands in relaxing ways. It could be a little weird but it’s also really chill and sleep inducing. I guess your meditation doesn’t have to be guided but it really seems to help me

3. Getting off my phone at least an hour before bed. Read a book or something instead. If you can’t do this at least turn your phone tonight mode to get rid of the blue light. TV can be OK for some even though it has some. I know people that cannot fall asleep without TV. 

2. Melatonin. The stuff in the work or actually be paradoxical and keep me up. It’s pretty hit or miss. Also, taking more doesn’t help.

3. Vitamins like calms midnight forte mix  or valerian root.  

4.  Over-the-counter sleep aids. I am inner change diphenhydramine(Benadryl) with  Doxylamine succinate. I take about 25 mg but I can work my way up pretty fast depending on how fast I need to go to sleep and how awake I am. 

5. A doc prescribed  tranquilizer or hypnotic. This is last resort, depths of desperation type thing for me because you tend to become dependent 

also, about eating before bed. They say not to eat right before bed but if my stomach is empty it is much harder for me to sleep. Sometimes when I eat, I sleep easier. So figure out what works best for you. Good sleeps. 

Edited by Shortskirtslonglashes
  • Like 3
9 hours ago, EternalClarity said:

Those of you who suffer from insomnia - what works best for you? Any tricks for falling asleep fast? 

"Stress-Relax Tranquil Sleep" chewable tabs.  Better than any prescription med, and I have pretty much tried them all! 

Start with a quarter tab, the whole tabs are pretty strong.  I take a quarter every night and am asleep within 30 minutes, and I have struggled with insomnia ever since I can remember, when I was a kid.  These are the only thing that work for me with no side effects or addictive qualities.

Whole Foods, Jimbos, any natural foods market and Amazon carries.

Edited by poppyfields
  • Thanks 1

Oh boy. I had my first sleep study at age 8 because it was taking me 2-3 hours to fall asleep, every night...

I would say the most important thing is routine, routine, routine. Half of it is training your body and mind to recognize "hey, it's time to be tired".

1) Valerian tea. It smells disgusting but it works like a charm. Valerian capsules work, too, but tea is more palatable. 

2) Pen and paper next to the bed so you can write down any pressing thoughts (even if it's just "buy dishwasher detergent").

3) As has been mentioned, melatonin works for emergencies but long-term use actually inhibits melatonin production, and more is not better. 1-3 mg is ideal.

4) L-theanine can help, as can 5-HTP; I've found a few blends of both that are pretty potent and get the job done. 

5) But none of this is as helpful as just being able to tell yourself it's time to rest. That means being chill about it, too---no guilting yourself for not falling asleep, no fears about how terrible tomorrow will be because you're so tired, etc. This is the hardest part. I have gotten accustomed to telling myself "hey, it's okay, my body will do what it needs to do" over and over and over until I pass out.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, lana-banana said:

4) L-theanine can help, as can 5-HTP; I've found a few blends of both that are pretty potent and get the job done. 

These are the ingredients contained in what I suggested in my previous post - Stress-Relax Tranquil Sleep.  Strong stuff, start out small and work you way to more, whatever you can handle without feeling drowsy next day.

Just now, poppyfields said:

These are the ingredients contained in what I suggested in my previous post - Stress-Relax Tranquil Sleep.  Strong stuff, start out small and work your way to more, whatever you can handle without feeling drowsy next day.  For me it's only a quarter tab.

Cookiesandough

Yea l theanine is found in green tea too so sometimes I do decaf green tea with milk 

Edited by Shortskirtslonglashes
9 hours ago, EternalClarity said:

Now I'm on an anti-depressant that, if taking 1/3 of the pill, is used to treat sleep issues, also prescribed by my doctor.

Talk to your doctor or  at least pharmacist about supplements. There are some serious life threatening situations that could happen. Do Your Research.

Antidepressants -- People who are taking antidepressant medications should not take 5-HTP. These medications could combine with 5-HTP to cause serotonin syndrome, a dangerous condition characterized by mental changes, hot flashes, rapidly fluctuating blood pressure and heart rate, and possibly coma.

Do Not Get Medical advice from the internet. Ask a doctor/pharmacist and at the very least research side effects and drug interactions. Throw the  supplements away .

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Talk to your doctor or  at least pharmacist about supplements. There are some serious life threatening situations that could happen. Do Your Research.

Antidepressants -- People who are taking antidepressant medications should not take 5-HTP. These medications could combine with 5-HTP to cause serotonin syndrome, a dangerous condition characterized by mental changes, hot flashes, rapidly fluctuating blood pressure and heart rate, and possibly coma.

Do Not Get Medical advice from the internet. Ask a doctor/pharmacist and at the very least research side effects and drug interactions. Throw the  supplements away .

This goes without saying (but bears repeating). Absolutely do not take supplements without talking to a doctor. Just because it's over the counter doesn't mean it's safe!

• Like 2
  • Author
10 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

Wiseman, I am not taking melatonin or 5-htp supplements together with the anti-depressant (trazodone) and wasn't going to. It is obviously dangerous to mix OTC sleeping aids with a serious medication. I was taking melatonin before I was put on trazodone. The magnesium supplement I'm taking was prescribed by my doctor, who is a medical professional, so it means it doesn't interact with trazodone. 

It's good to check what people use for their insomnia, as I can try it out after I'm done with trazodone. I'm in contact with my doctor every week and can ask him about some of the recommendations. 

• Author
11 hours ago, lana-banana said:

Oh boy. I had my first sleep study at age 8 because it was taking me 2-3 hours to fall asleep, every night...

I would say the most important thing is routine, routine, routine. Half of it is training your body and mind to recognize "hey, it's time to be tired".

1) Valerian tea. It smells disgusting but it works like a charm. Valerian capsules work, too, but tea is more palatable. 

2) Pen and paper next to the bed so you can write down any pressing thoughts (even if it's just "buy dishwasher detergent").

3) As has been mentioned, melatonin works for emergencies but long-term use actually inhibits melatonin production, and more is not better. 1-3 mg is ideal.

5) But none of this is as helpful as just being able to tell yourself it's time to rest. That means being chill about it, too---no guilting yourself for not falling asleep, no fears about how terrible tomorrow will be because you're so tired, etc. This is the hardest part. I have gotten accustomed to telling myself "hey, it's okay, my body will do what it needs to do" over and over and over until I pass out.

Pen and paper next to the bed sounds like a great idea! And yes, I should trust my body to work itself out a bit more than I currently do. If I can't fall asleep the whole night I start feeling like my body is my own enemy. Last night I was just trying to tell myself that I will do just fine even if I don't succeed in falling asleep

• Author
13 hours ago, Shortskirtslonglashes said:

I’ve been dealing with it my whole life. I think I am getting a little better grip on it. Emphasis on “little”. This is what I’ve tried in order of ‘minor, I’m tired but I need a little push’ to ‘WHY AM I STILL WIRED PLZ SOME1 HIT ME AND KNOCK ME OUT I HAVE TO SLEEP’

1. chamomile tea with some milk and honey ... chamomile and milk is supposed to make you sleepy. Honey to make the taste more tolerable, because I’m personally not a fan 

2. ASMR videos or guided meditation.  This is people on YouTube whispering into the camera or moving their hands in relaxing ways. It could be a little weird but it’s also really chill and sleep inducing. I guess your meditation doesn’t have to be guided but it really seems to help me

3. Getting off my phone at least an hour before bed. Read a book or something instead. If you can’t do this at least turn your phone tonight mode to get rid of the blue light. TV can be OK for some even though it has some. I know people that cannot fall asleep without TV. 

2. Melatonin. The stuff in the work or actually be paradoxical and keep me up. It’s pretty hit or miss. Also, taking more doesn’t help.

3. Vitamins like calms midnight forte mix  or valerian root.  

4.  Over-the-counter sleep aids. I am inner change diphenhydramine(Benadryl) with  Doxylamine succinate. I take about 25 mg but I can work my way up pretty fast depending on how fast I need to go to sleep and how awake I am. 

5. A doc prescribed  tranquilizer or hypnotic. This is last resort, depths of desperation type thing for me because you tend to become dependent 

also, about eating before bed. They say not to eat right before bed but if my stomach is empty it is much harder for me to sleep. Sometimes when I eat, I sleep easier. So figure out what works best for you. Good sleeps. 

I actually like ASMR videos, especially the ones that don't overdo it lol. I ordered some special headphones for sleep - they look like a headband, so will definitely try listening to ASMRs with those.

About eating before bed - it's the same for me, I absolutely must eat something before bed or those stomach growling sounds will keep me awake! Some people say you should stop eating at around 6 pm which is insane to me :D