Is it rare for a guy to have only been with 1 woman for 20 years?

My friend's older brother is that guy. He met his now wife in HS, they dated and they've been together since. They have two kids, both in their teens. He never had the chance to do what many guys do: date/sleep around and then settle later on when they get it out of their system. 

Is that a rare type of guy? For a guy to only be with the same girl who then becomes his wife!!!!

I wouldn't say that it's a "type of guy" thing.  Rather, the story is about two people who fell in love in HS and have sustained the relationship.   I know a handful of couples from my HS who are still together nearly 40 years later.

7 minutes ago, Nabely said:

Is that a rare type of guy? For a guy to only be with the same girl who then becomes his wife.

Depends on age, culture, religion, personal beliefs, country, family values, traditions, etc. Too many factors. 

This used to be the norm, for almost everyone.  It's much less common since the 1950s, but not odd.

• Like 1

I suppose there aren't may people who meet their spouse in HS & can sustain a healthy marriage but it's not unheard of.   My college roommate & her husband met in the 7th grade & have only been with each other; they just celebrated their 30th anniversary.  So it's possible but it might be increasingly rare.  There is nothing wrong with it.  

2 hours ago, Nabely said:

He never had the chance to do what many guys do: date/sleep around and then settle later on when they get it out of their system. 

Is that a rare type of guy? For a guy to only be with the same girl who then becomes his wife!!!!

Remember she never got to do what many girls do which is pretty much the same thing you described for him.  I do know couples who married straight out of HS and are still happily together.  I guess when you know you just know.

• Like 1
Fletch Lives

I sure hope it's not rare. But it probably is these days. Ideally, that's the way to do it.

mark clemson

With 20th century populations, even if it's say 2% of people, in the US that's about 6.4 M people (of both sexes) so perhaps 3M+ couples. So "rare" is sort of in the eye of the beholder. There will certainly be plenty of these folks floating around.

No idea what the actual % is, certainly they're out there. I'm one in fact, although my wife and I met in our 20's, not in HS.

Biologically humans tend to be serial monogamists, but that's a strong tendency only, and even many of the 20+ year couples may have had other prior relationships (I certainly did). There is also a tendency for many to "settle down" later in life (generally, not only for kids but for stability as well).

Edited by mark clemson
19 hours ago, basil67 said:

I wouldn't say that it's a "type of guy" thing.  Rather, the story is about two people who fell in love in HS and have sustained the relationship.   I know a handful of couples from my HS who are still together nearly 40 years later.

Many of my friends have done just that. So yes, it does happen. 

On 6/24/2021 at 2:16 PM, Nabely said:

My friend's older brother is that guy. He met his now wife in HS, they dated and they've been together since. They have two kids, both in their teens. He never had the chance to do what many guys do: date/sleep around and then settle later on when they get it out of their system

Aside from incredibly sexist, no, this is not rare. You could say the same about women depending on the people you talk to or demographic.