Friend vs. Boyfriend

Arianwen

Alright, I'm going to try and make a complicated situation clear here because really I'm practically begging for someone to help me out with this.

I have a very good male friend, my best friend really, who I have known for the last twelve years. For eight out of those twelve, we have had sort of a 'thing' going. Never too intense, never official, but mutually acknowledged. Over the past few months, things had taken a slightly different turn. He began declaring real love for me, over and over, telling me the kind of things every woman prays to hear, and despite the fact that I am the ultimate cynic, this man managed to get through every single defensive wall I've ever built and make me love him. However...and here comes the killer part. We had a fight over something stupid, something small, and didn't talk for a couple of weeks. When I next spoke to him, after we had made up, he referred to someone else as his 'girlfriend', someone who had only turned up in the last week or so. This woman apparently sleeps with him, something I hadn't done because I haven't yet been with anyone, but was getting to the point where I would have. Now he seems to think I can accept this, and when I mentioned the fact that only a couple of weeks before he was saying he loved me, he said 'but we were on a break'. Sound familiar?

I can't understand how this man, who isn't a cruel person by nature, can treat me like this for someone he has only just met. I always knew he had sexual partners during the time we have known each other, but recently things had changed between us and he gave me reason to believe that wouldn't happen anymore. I can't accept this new woman in his life no matter how hard I try (can't actually get past the point where I wish her physical harm) and every time I see him now its painful. This man has been a huge part of my life for more than half of my existence, but I can't seem to find a way to resolve this and keep praying for them to break up. Does anyone have a clue what I can do?

Alright, I'm going to try and make a complicated situation clear here because really I'm practically begging for someone to help me out with this.

I have a very good male friend, my best friend really, who I have known for the last twelve years. For eight out of those twelve, we have had sort of a 'thing' going. Never too intense, never official, but mutually acknowledged. Over the past few months, things had taken a slightly different turn. He began declaring real love for me, over and over, telling me the kind of things every woman prays to hear, and despite the fact that I am the ultimate cynic, this man managed to get through every single defensive wall I've ever built and make me love him. However...and here comes the killer part. We had a fight over something stupid, something small, and didn't talk for a couple of weeks. When I next spoke to him, after we had made up, he referred to someone else as his 'girlfriend', someone who had only turned up in the last week or so. This woman apparently sleeps with him, something I hadn't done because I haven't yet been with anyone, but was getting to the point where I would have. Now he seems to think I can accept this, and when I mentioned the fact that only a couple of weeks before he was saying he loved me, he said 'but we were on a break'. Sound familiar? I can't understand how this man, who isn't a cruel person by nature, can treat me like this for someone he has only just met. I always knew he had sexual partners during the time we have known each other, but recently things had changed between us and he gave me reason to believe that wouldn't happen anymore. I can't accept this new woman in his life no matter how hard I try (can't actually get past the point where I wish her physical harm) and every time I see him now its painful. This man has been a huge part of my life for more than half of my existence, but I can't seem to find a way to resolve this and keep praying for them to break up. Does anyone have a clue what I can do?

You know, this sounds like Dawsons Creek except you are Dawson!!! He took it very well and eventually became friends with Joey again, (she's the one that your seeing) He really took it well with class and all, but it is television.