Using Facebook and Social Media as a way to find romance

MarcoInaros

Hi All,

In order to find dates I've always relied on dating apps, and the traditional method of going out and meeting people in person. But lately I've been wondering, can you use Facebook and Instagram as another method? The intent to dating apps is to date, but that isn't necessarily the case with FB and Insta. Those programs are just for whatever you want to use them for I guess. It seems that there is a much larger pool of people on FB and Insta, but since you don't know what everyone's status is or intent, there is a much higher rate of rejection. Also, there is the risk of making yourself look like a stalker and just bad, and then meeting that person in person at some other point in the future. They will remember you for your online behavior.

I think I've heard some people send friend requests to girls they are attracted to on FB or Insta, and then try to build a rapport on Messenger, and then try to ask them out to do something of mutual interest (like hiking, for instance). And then build from there. Has anyone tried this? I've friended a few women this way, and I've tried to set up a meeting, but they usually have something else going on, so it hasn't worked that well for me.

Has this worked for anyone? 

FB has a dating app. You could also join some FB groups (your interests, hiking, whatever) to build rapport and start chatting with people. But stone cold scanning and contacting may seem off to the recipient.

I heard about FB dating. I've never used it. I don't even have a Facebook account. I've also heard of people meeting through Instagram. 

I think you may run the risk of being seen as on the prowl or a little too hungry for online attention. It's best to stick with apps that are for a dating purpose or a wing or arm of it like FB dating if you're looking for someone in the romantic sense.

Happy Lemming
2 hours ago, MarcoInaros said:

...and the traditional method of going out and meeting people in person.

Where are you going??  How many times a week are you out looking?? Are you attempting to talk to people while you are out and about??

I think you'll be happier and have better results by attempting to meet people out in the "real world".

• Like 1
  • Author
2 hours ago, Happy Lemming said:

Where are you going??  How many times a week are you out looking?? Are you attempting to talk to people while you are out and about??

I think you'll be happier and have better results by attempting to meet people out in the "real world".

Lemming, I telework from home, so I don't meet anyone during the day. But after work, I usually go to Crossfit 4-5 times a week, I sometimes go to Trivia with friends, I am part of several hiking groups that I do activities with. I've even been night clubbing a few times. I do try to meet people in real life. I could do better in terms of chatting with people and asking for numbers. I'll admit that. But I'm definitely getting out of the house. 

Happy Lemming
1 hour ago, MarcoInaros said:

I could do better in terms of chatting with people and asking for numbers. I'll admit that. But I'm definitely getting out of the house. 

Good... well practice makes perfect, so keep going out and attempting to chit-chat with new people. 

I really do think you'll be happier socializing with people in "real life", especially since your job has you at home working. 

A change of scenery is always nice after a hard days work!!

• Like 2
dramafreezone
22 hours ago, MarcoInaros said:

Hi All,

In order to find dates I've always relied on dating apps, and the traditional method of going out and meeting people in person. But lately I've been wondering, can you use Facebook and Instagram as another method? The intent to dating apps is to date, but that isn't necessarily the case with FB and Insta. Those programs are just for whatever you want to use them for I guess. It seems that there is a much larger pool of people on FB and Insta, but since you don't know what everyone's status is or intent, there is a much higher rate of rejection. Also, there is the risk of making yourself look like a stalker and just bad, and then meeting that person in person at some other point in the future. They will remember you for your online behavior.

I think I've heard some people send friend requests to girls they are attracted to on FB or Insta, and then try to build a rapport on Messenger, and then try to ask them out to do something of mutual interest (like hiking, for instance). And then build from there. Has anyone tried this? I've friended a few women this way, and I've tried to set up a meeting, but they usually have something else going on, so it hasn't worked that well for me.

Has this worked for anyone? 

I've known people that met each other on IG and started dating, even gotten married.  It's a thing, not one I prefer but it's definitely a thing.

You might be amazed at how many marriages and relationships unfortunately have been destroyed through fb with people meeting new people but at the same time , also relationships developed through meeting someone on fb. So yeah , it all goes on no doubt about that.

When you say dates though , what are dates , what just finding dozens or 100s of new women to go out with ? l'd imagine you could fast end up with a creepy reputation using it like that. However seeing that someone special that you would really love to get to know, what's the harm in saying hello , never know , it could end up the start of that big romance.

• Like 1
On 1/31/2022 at 2:33 PM, MarcoInaros said:

FB dating doesn't seem to be available to me on my Facebook app.

Try Tikdating. It's another app, but like FB dating you'll need to use a phone app, not your computer. 

There's a multitude of dating apps available. However many just have app rather than web versions.

As far as randomly stalking social media, try to join some groups where you have something in common.