I have covid but will my work not like it if I take a lot of days off?

I was told to stay isolated for five days according to policy.  It's been three days so far, but I feel like crap and I don't think I am getting better in just two days.  I think it's going to last quite a bit longer based on how I feel now, but will it look bad if I take more than five sick days off, even if I test negative on the fifth day, but still feel like crap?  What do you think?

Thanks for any advice on this.  I really appreciate it.

ironpony every employer is different.

Do you have sick leave (I guess in Canada it's called sick leave credits). 

Maybe you can work remotely.

Just try to keep them up-to-date

Most workplaces have protocols in place for that sort of thing and for contact tracing when an employee tests positive.
https://www.canada.ca/en/government/publicservice/covid-19/employee-illness-leave.html

Don’t forget to tell your doctor too, particularly if you have an underlying medical condition. You can let them know that you have been diagnosed or tested positive for COVID-19, and that you are recovering at home. They may also be able to vouch for you too in the event you need to take more time off and if there is an issue with your employer.

I know it's unsettling but try not to worry about it just yet.

See how you're feeling on day 4.

Feel better!

• Author

Oh okay thanks.  In order to get a doctor to varify, do I have to go to the doctor's office with covid though, knowing it could spread that way?  Also, I don't think my employers are going to have me work from home as they would have to send me a lot of stuff, and jump through quite a few hoops to do that I think.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, ironpony said:

Oh okay thanks.  In order to get a doctor to varify, do I have to go to the doctor's office with covid though, knowing it could spread that way?  Also, I don't think my employers are going to have me work from home as they would have to send me a lot of stuff, and jump through quite a few hoops to do that I think.

We can't tell you how your doctor manages during COVID.  If you need to see your doctor, call the receptionist and ask if you need to see them and what the protocol is.

If you're sick, you're sick.  But anything can happen in the next couple of days.  You might start to feel a lot better.  Did you take a home test or PCR?

• Like 1
  • Author
5 hours ago, clia said:

If you're sick, you're sick.  But anything can happen in the next couple of days.  You might start to feel a lot better.  Did you take a home test or PCR?

Yeah I took a home test and it's positive.

• Author
11 hours ago, FleXxep said:

Bring doctors note in

But I would have to go to the doctor to get the note and I am not suppose to leave my place if I have covid, if that's true?

Call in sick. Ask HR what the protocol is for Covid and at home testing. It's that simple. You need to start looking into ways to solve simple problems by asking the appropriate people.

9 minutes ago, ironpony said:

I can do that it's just that if I take more than five sick days I am worried I may get in trouble.

Call them and ask what the COVID protocol is.  We can't answer this question for you.

Edited by basil67
  • Like 1
  • Author

They said the protocol is take five days off and then come back, but I don't know if I am well enough to come back and only have one more day left before I am supposed to.

11 hours ago, ironpony said:

But I would have to go to the doctor to get the note and I am not suppose to leave my place if I have covid, if that's true?

Do a tele doctor appointment. Take a test right before the appt so you have current results on hand.

ask that doctor to send a note that updates your current health concerns.

they shouldn’t say no - you could expose more people if you go in to work while not feeling well.

Edited by S2B
  • Author
1 minute ago, S2B said:

Do a tele doctor appointment. Take a test right before the appt so you have current results on hand.

ask that doctor to send a note that updates your current health concerns.

I didn't think that a doctor could do a test, if I was not even physically there for it.  I thought covid tests didn't count, if all you are doing is answering online questions.  I can call and ask.

2 minutes ago, S2B said:

Do a tele doctor appointment. Take a test right before the appt so you have current results on hand.ask that doctor to send a note that updates your current health concerns

Does insurance cover that? Would a physician actually verify something like an at home test in a patient they've never seen?  A couple of nurses were recently arrested for providing documents without tangible proof of Covid..

Just call HR and ask what the protocol is. It's really that simple. You're not the first person to ever have this situation so ask HR 

• Author
2 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Does insurance cover that? Would a physician actually verify something like an at home test in a patient they've never seen?  A couple of nurses were recently arrested for providing documents without tangible proof of Covid..

Just call HR and ask what the protocol is. It's really that simple. You're not the first person to ever have this situation so ask HR 

Well HR has already told me to take five days off then come back, and that's the policy, but I do not feel well enough at all to come back, and tomorrow is the last of the five days.  I could go back but I will be coughing all over the place, even with a mask on and it will be awkward for everyone, since they all know I had covid.

7 minutes ago, ironpony said:

I do not feel well enough at all to come back.

Call them back and explain that. They'll tell you how to proceed. [ ] 

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
off topic