Why do women use images with Snapchat filters on dating sites?

Are you referring to the beauty filters or other kind of filters?

If it's the beauty ones, the answer is obvious, both sexes try to make themselves attractive.

Guys post pics with muscles, expensive cars and other trophies (basically anything that can convey the image of power), women increase their attractiveness by cultivating beauty, and enhancing it with make up, clothing/jewelry. Filters/photoshop work like a super boost.

While I don't use filters, I was curious once and asked a few male friends that did OLD about the subject matter.

When meeting in person, they were mostly aware if their date had enhanced her photos but their were willing to let it slide by, if the woman was attractive enough for them in person.

So maybe that's an explanation why some women can get away with it :).

there seems to be lots of answers so far, but as a vain guy i'll chime in.

sometimes cameras these days are SO good, a person feels like it is way too "real" and capturing every flaw, and we want to present our best selves.

i personally don't think that any filter is going to make an ugly girl look hot, but you can definitely raise a point or two, say, going from a "6" to an "8" but not a "3" to a "10" 

just be wary and help your friend recognize which photos look edited, especially the super soft ones with giant eyes and reshaped face structure.  

i use filters for photos just to soften up things, or bring up color saturation to highlight features, that sort of thing.  honestly that's what they do for magazines, we all know those girls on the covers don't look that great in real life.

so just be aware of it, that even normal photos may not represent a person perfectly.  some of us photograph better than others, and some of us may look better in person, or worse in person.  

also depending on how superficial your friend is, or how important body shape and size is, be wary of photos that never show below the neck.

• Author
Trail Blazer
3 hours ago, Perdu said:

Are you referring to the beauty filters or other kind of filters?

If it's the beauty ones, the answer is obvious, both sexes try to make themselves attractive.

Guys post pics with muscles, expensive cars and other trophies (basically anything that can convey the image of power), women increase their attractiveness by cultivating beauty, and enhancing it with make up, clothing/jewelry. Filters/photoshop work like a super boost.

While I don't use filters, I was curious once and asked a few male friends that did OLD about the subject matter.

When meeting in person, they were mostly aware if their date had enhanced her photos but their were willing to let it slide by, if the woman was attractive enough for them in person.

So maybe that's an explanation why some women can get away with it :).

I'm referring to Snapchat filters which completely alter the way someone looks.  I've had Snapchat for a long time so I can spot the filters a mile away.

However, it never actually occured to me until after my buddy joined dating apps that he, and many others, had no idea what they were looking at.  Not realizing just how different someone could possibly look unfiltered is a thing for the uninitiated.

Guys showing "muscles and expensive cars/toys" so long as they themselves own them, or there's a disclaimer stating that they don't own them, is not a problem.  I'm not sure how it's the same thing here?

[ ] 

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
offensive/group berating
  • Author
Trail Blazer
2 hours ago, flitzanu said:

there seems to be lots of answers so far, but as a vain guy i'll chime in.

sometimes cameras these days are SO good, a person feels like it is way too "real" and capturing every flaw, and we want to present our best selves.

i personally don't think that any filter is going to make an ugly girl look hot, but you can definitely raise a point or two, say, going from a "6" to an "8" but not a "3" to a "10" 

just be wary and help your friend recognize which photos look edited, especially the super soft ones with giant eyes and reshaped face structure.  

i use filters for photos just to soften up things, or bring up color saturation to highlight features, that sort of thing.  honestly that's what they do for magazines, we all know those girls on the covers don't look that great in real life.

so just be aware of it, that even normal photos may not represent a person perfectly.  some of us photograph better than others, and some of us may look better in person, or worse in person.  

also depending on how superficial your friend is, or how important body shape and size is, be wary of photos that never show below the neck.

There's nothing wrong with using filters to soften lighting, etc.  Truth be known, almost everyone would be none the wiser.  

I am specifically referring to Snapchat filters where a large woman can seemingly appear a lot thinner.  Same with someone with poor skin.

My buddy is not "superficial" at all, depending on what your definition of the term is.  For some, caring about looks at all is superficial.

Like almost every man, looks are somewhat important to him.  However, the man knows to temper his expectations.  He's not going to land a 10.

15 minutes ago, Trail Blazer said:

There's nothing wrong with using filters to soften lighting, etc.  Like almost every man, looks are somewhat important to him.  However, the man knows to temper his expectations.  He's not going to land a 10.

Yes he needs to be attracted and interested enough to meet. But that is the key in preventing burnout. Meeting for a brief coffee/drink asap.

Because sure women wear makeup, nice clothes etc. on dates but if there's no chemistry, they refuse to meet, etc. it's better  to cut your losses early.

• Author
Trail Blazer
1 hour ago, Wiseman2 said:

Yes he needs to be attracted and interested enough to meet. But that is the key in preventing burnout. Meeting for a brief coffee/drink asap.

Because sure women wear makeup, nice clothes etc. on dates but if there's no chemistry, they refuse to meet, etc. it's better  to cut your losses early.

There's no meeting ASAP in our industry.  We work on oil rigs.  We can be hundreds of miles out at sea, or in the middle of the desert, for weeks on end.

When I was dating, I would use my time away to talk to girls and organize dates for when I got home. 

It was an effective strategy for the most part, however there were a few missed opportunities as some girls weren't interested in waiting weeks on end.  Fair enough, too...