Getting over a guy who hangs out in the same online community

So I met this guy in an online community and he talked to me me and I felt like I knew him from somewhere, I guess he reminded me of someone I care about and so I instantly liked him and formed a connection in my mind. After a couple of months, I realized he talks that way to all the new girls in that community. His relation towards me in the last couple of years went from giving me a lot of attention to ignoring me most of the time. I like that place and don't want to permanently leave, but I also don't seem to be strong enough to leave whatever happened with this guy behind.

What should I do? How do I get over him without leaving, or is leaving the only option for me to move on and heal?

11 minutes ago, Pix said:

How do I get over him without leaving, or is leaving the only option for me to move on and heal?

Enjoy your community and ignore him. What kind of online community is it? Block him.

Date in real life. Get a good profile and pics on quality dating apps and start talking to and meeting local, single, real-life men.

Edited by Wiseman2
  • Author
13 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Enjoy your community and ignore him. What kind of online community is it? Block him.

Date in real life. Get a good profile and pics on quality dating apps and start talking to and meeting local, single, real-life men.

Sounds reasonable. I did try going out with other guys but I still catch myself getting sad when running into his posts. He's not the first womanizer (or whatever is the term) I met, but for some reason I'm struggling to let go. It's not a big community btw. I could block him, but the thought of it also makes me sad. :D 

Edited by Pix

Until you block him,  put him on ignore, or leave the community you will stay stuck.  You can't get over him reading what he says to other women and wishing it were you.  He sounds like an online Casonova.

• Author
3 minutes ago, stillafool said:

Until you block him,  put him on ignore, or leave the community you will stay stuck.  You can't get over him reading what he says to other women and wishing it were you.  He sounds like an online Casonova.

Yeah, I just spent half a night reading his conversation with other woman and suffering, and it's not the first time. I also think he has a personality type I haven't met before, because, like I said, I've met womanizers before, and I am relatively immune to them. Anyways, I'll try the ignore option first, and if it doesn't work I'll leave or make a longer break. 

I'm confused.  You liked him, and after "a couple of months" you realized what he's all about.  

Fast forward 2 years.  Now you are wondering how to handle the fact that he doesn't treat you in a special way.  Hasn't this been the status quo for two whole years?  

You've been there for a long time, you like it, so clearly you have some connections in that group that are positive for you.  Keep hanging out and engaging with those people and let this guy be on the periphery, like he has already been for a long time now.  Of course you can block him, and absolutely don't pay any attention to whatever he's doing with others in the group.  It has nothing to do with you.  He's not in your life and hasn't really ever been.

7 minutes ago, Pix said:

I also think he has a personality type I haven't met before,

This is also what hooks the other women too.

• Author
5 minutes ago, NuevoYorko said:

I'm confused.  You liked him, and after "a couple of months" you realized what he's all about.  

Fast forward 2 years.  Now you are wondering how to handle the fact that he doesn't treat you in a special way.  Hasn't this been the status quo for two whole years?  

You've been there for a long time, you like it, so clearly you have some connections in that group that are positive for you.  Keep hanging out and engaging with those people and let this guy be on the periphery, like he has already been for a long time now.  Of course you can block him, and absolutely don't pay any attention to whatever he's doing with others in the group.  It has nothing to do with you.  He's not in your life and hasn't really ever been.

If he didn't treat me in a special way from the beginning, I guess I'd be fine. It's the switch to ignore mode that hurt the most. And yeah, if there weren't other people I liked and respected there, I'd leave long time ago. 

• Author
14 minutes ago, stillafool said:

This is also what hooks the other women too.

Possible, I am not the only one who likes him I think. At least I'll know when I meet someone like him again.

• Author
34 minutes ago, ShyViolet said:

This is someone you never met in person?

Yeah. But it's a local forum, and I did meet some people there in person.

3 hours ago, Pix said:

Yeah. But it's a local forum, and I did meet some people there in person.

You've allowed yourself to get way too invested in a stranger on the internet who you never actually met.  Don't lose touch with the fact that you didn't have an actual connection with this guy.  You built up an idea of him in your head.  Get out there and go on some dates in person.  

• Like 1

Sounds more like a flirt.

Womanizers engage in casual sexual affairs with many women.

• Author
3 hours ago, ShyViolet said:

You've allowed yourself to get way too invested in a stranger on the internet who you never actually met.  Don't lose touch with the fact that you didn't have an actual connection with this guy.  You built up an idea of him in your head.  Get out there and go on some dates in person.  

I did build up an idea of him in my head..But I don't think it was because it was on the internet, the same could have happened in person. If I met him in some bar or cafe, maybe we would have talked about some casual topics, and online I had the chance to read some of his deeper thoughts that people usually don't share in person (unless it's with people they know well and for a long time). Maybe that's why I have the feeling like I know him (I realize I don't).

• Author
3 hours ago, Alpacalia said:

Sounds more like a flirt.

Womanizers engage in casual sexual affairs with many women.

Maybe flirt's more appropriate word, I don't think he engages in sexual activities with women he meets there, I also don't know if most of his conversations with women end up like it did with me.

• Thanks 1