How hard is it to get a job working your own hours?

I think having a job where I can choose my own work hours might be best for me.  I have been having insomnia and sleep issues, and I feel I can just work till whenever my body wants to sleep, whenever that may, rather than doing this whole you must sleep from this time to this time, every day no acceptions, sort of routine.

Also, I hardly see my gf because we work very different hours in our jobs, and I do miss her, and wish I could spend more time with her, so that would be another big incentive for me to choose my own hours, because then I can try to work around her free time, as well as work, when I cannot sleep, since that work will be done, therefore, and I may be able to catch up on sleep later on in a week as a result.

But I've been looking at jobs where you can choose your own hours, and the professions are very limited.  A lot of it is freelance work, but I find that not a lot of people are hiring for freelance work, in order for it pay enough.

If anyone possibly has any advice on this idea, I really appreciate to hear any input!  Thank you very much!

Edited by ironpony
  • Author
3 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

What is your shift or is it rotating shifts?

My shift is usually 8:30-5 but sometimes 9:30-6, or 1:30-9.

Edited by ironpony

The majority of my work is freelance.

A lot of discipline is required on your part.

You can't sleep through deadlines. 

Balancing work and life can become increasingly difficult if you're not careful.

• Like 1
Eternal Sunshine

I work my own hours (and have for years - pre-pandemic). I like to go to bed late 2-3am so I don't start work before 11am, sometimes noon and am much more productive in the evenings. I always worked in roles that were traditional (most people worked 9-5pm). I never even asked for permission to start later. I am in an in-demand industry and maintain performance much above average so nobody has criticized me over it. There were some co-workers that occasionally complained but were quickly shut-down by the bosses. My bosses have always been pretty hands off, I know what needs to be done and don't need much oversight.

I will occasionally make an exception if there is an important early meeting.

Edited by Eternal Sunshine
  • Like 1
On 7/17/2022 at 9:05 AM, ironpony said:

My shift is usually 8:30-5 but sometimes 9:30-6, or 1:30-9.

Nothing outrageous about that. You need a lot more self-discipline to be self-employed. It's a lot harder than punching a clock. Your issue is not shifts/shiftwork, it's your underlying chronic insomnia.

Happy Lemming
On 7/17/2022 at 12:05 AM, ironpony said:

But I've been looking at jobs where you can choose your own hours...

I thought you were going to make your own movie??  Maybe it is time to start that project.

It is very difficult if you don't have any marketable skills that fit that niche, but very easy if you do.

I work my own hours in a fully remote and flexible job, and I also hire people for such jobs. However, I'm a coder and project manager with several years of experience. Some of the other jobs that can be fully-remote include graphic designers, technical writers, etc. For each of them though, you do typically need some degree of experience. These jobs tend to be quite in demand, and they rarely hire people with no experience in the field.

• Like 2