Will the urge to laugh by myself ever disappear?

As a now 35 year-old woman, I've wondered if this urge to laugh by myself will ever disappear. Long ago, two different teachers in school noticed this. One complained to my parents (my father replied with an ''I know, we're working on the laughing part) and another one simply asked with a worried expresssion ''Are you okay''?

I used to be harshly reprimanded about this at home. My parents treated this as if I was acting out of mischievousness. It wasn't done on purpose. I was either triggered by something or it would just come out suddenly out of nowhere. If someone asked what was funny, my answer would be ''I don't know''. Over the years, the laughing years reduced significantly and most of the times I was able to catch myself from laughing and control it. Nowadays I don't do it much but when it happens, I'm alone or tried to hide from public. I don't want people thinking I'm crazy. 

Will this eventually disappear? Why did I had that problem as a kid? At times, I still laugh at things that aren't funny but I can't help it when I'm triggered. 

• Author

I'm funny aware that laughing by myself and not having self-control will cause problems in society so I've learned to control it. Though two days ago while I was in my Judo class with my bf and our instructor, something briefly triggered me. I don't know what was funny but I giggled for a couple seconds but then stopped.

Some people genuinely have inappropriate laughter - in some cases this is related to neurological issues (e.g. pseudobulbar affect, among a few others). In other cases it may be part of how they handle stress or have some other less well understood cause.

I myself occasionally laugh out loud "spontaneously" but usually it's because I'm thinking of something funny, such as a joke that I found particularly hilarious. So I don't even remotely consider it to be a possible medical issue.

If you feel it's a genuine issue that you'd like to address, you might want to talk to a doctor, psychologist, or psychiatrist and ask them to diagnose you. You can always get a 2nd opinion if they seem to be jumping to conclusions, e.g. that it's PBA, when perhaps it's not.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, samsungxoxo said:

I was in my Judo class with my bf and our instructor, something briefly triggered me. I don't know what was funny but I giggled for a couple seconds

Laughing at something funny is normal, but a physician/neurologist could tell you if it's abnormal.  Would probably not call laughing at something amusing a "trigger". There are conditions which cause inappropriate uncontrolled laughter but only a physician can distinguish that.

Edited by Wiseman2
  • Like 1

Laughing during exercise is pretty normal.

I sometimes get a huge smile on my face and laugh a little when I exercise.

Endorphins and adrenaline.

In some cases, if this is recurring or constant, a medical issue could be underlying.

Have it checked out if it's a cause of concern for you.

• Like 1