Was I wrong for taking a 2hr break on my last day of job I got laid off from?

So worked at a public health department and was unexpectedly laid off without warning this Tuesday. It has been stressful as I’m the only one working in my family (24F). I’ve been with the organization since Jan. I was told it was due to funding and not performance and how they wanted to keep full time workers (I worked 4 days so was part time due to grad school). I’ve noticed some shady stuff and felt nitpicked on at times. Anyways, Friday was my last day and I drove to another city to pick up lunch and came back after 2 hours. It was my first time doing it. The drive was a 38 min commute and I didn’t know the HR was waiting for me. The HR, which I’m close to, was upset with me and said it wasn’t a good look, especially if I wanted to get my job back. One of my coworkers even berated me in front of her… “I’m disappointed in you, this messed up your mark” then even hit my shoulder. I apologized again via to the HR afterwards and she hasn’t replied. Was I wrong or?

1 hour ago, faithandfood said:

. Was I wrong or?

Yes. But it’s done now. You’ve apologized. Could have repercussions as when you apply for other jobs if they check references this might be mentioned. 

Of course it was wrong if you know you're not supposed to take a 2 hour lunch.  But what's done is done now.  In the future don't do stuff like that unless you know you aren't going to ever go back there or use that job as a reference.

The answer depends on your workplace.   Some workplaces are really strict on working to the clock and others are more flexible.   For example, if you were frequently working past your allotted hours without being paid for it, then it's reasonable to expect you'd have some flexibility with your lunch hours, or even take a half day for an appointment.  Alternately, if someone couldn't take their lunch break until you returned, then it's unfair to take a long break.  

In short, there's no easy answer.  When previous staff members have left this organisation, did they take long lunches?  This would be the best indicator as to what you would expect for yourself. 

Edited by basil67
18 hours ago, faithandfood said:

Friday was my last day and I drove to another city to pick up lunch and came back after 2 hours. 

Were you downsized or terminated? Often they'll have a little farewell party for departing employees.

Either way you're gone now so the best thing you can do is get a good profile on LinkedIn listing your education, jobs, experience, skills, etc. Also "connect" with alumi, former co-workers and upload your contact lists to see who's on there.

Not much more you can do about it now, but as a general rule don't burn bridges or leave on bad terms.

It’s recommended to at least let someone know you’re leaving the office/offline or away for awhile and may not be back until so and so time. You know the commute time so would have known beforehand it’d take that long. It doesn’t matter what your station or position, just common courtesy to keep the organization flowing incase someone needs you.

Try to avoid long lunches as most standard breaks aren’t two hours in a regular work day. Someone was waiting for you (HR) and yes, there’s merit to what was said. 

I also just want to say I’m sorry for the lay off and the stress it’s caused personally. Start being proactive finding another job and keep your eye on the ball. Don’t let this blip slow you down. Take it as a learning experience.

• Like 2
  • Author
On 10/24/2022 at 4:57 AM, Wiseman2 said:

Were you downsized or terminated? Often they'll have a little farewell party for departing employees.

Either way you're gone now so the best thing you can do is get a good profile on LinkedIn listing your education, jobs, experience, skills, etc. Also "connect" with alumi, former co-workers and upload your contact lists to see who's on there.

Not much more you can do about it now, but as a general rule don't burn bridges or leave on bad terms.

I was downsized! There wasn’t. And got it. The HR replied and said it was okay.

• Author
On 10/24/2022 at 8:58 AM, glows said:

It’s recommended to at least let someone know you’re leaving the office/offline or away for awhile and may not be back until so and so time. You know the commute time so would have known beforehand it’d take that long. It doesn’t matter what your station or position, just common courtesy to keep the organization flowing incase someone needs you.

Try to avoid long lunches as most standard breaks aren’t two hours in a regular work day. Someone was waiting for you (HR) and yes, there’s merit to what was said. 

I also just want to say I’m sorry for the lay off and the stress it’s caused personally. Start being proactive finding another job and keep your eye on the ball. Don’t let this blip slow you down. Take it as a learning experience.

Thank you! Yes I informed my coworker and even asked if anyone needed me as I was driving back. He never replied. I should have just informed the HR directly. But she accepted my apology.

• Like 1

That’s wonderful. You’re on the cusp of something new as you leave.

Thank your coworkers for the opportunity here regardless of the lay off. Leave on a good note. No matter how many conflicting emotions you have and any personal stress, be thankful and professional to the end.

Good luck with the future! With loss also comes opportunity. When one door closes another opens. It’s onwards and forwards.

• Like 1