I'm with your boyfriend 100 percent!

Your boyfriend is not insensitive. He just doesn't want to live with the scent of animal urine, which is extremely offensive. However, he does have the option of moving out.

Even human beings who become incontinent from aging are put into facilities with personnel to deal with that.

If you want to remain with your boyfriend, you should place your dog in a space where it will not produce an offensive urine odor for others who have to live in the house.

I personally would move in a heartbeat rather than live with the smell of animal urine. While you are willing to make that sacrifice for the animal you love, your boyfriend is not and I don't blame him. He doesn't have to.

His unwillingness to tolerate this noxious odor is no indication of his level of love for you. It is a clear sign he is not willing to live in unsanitary space with four odor. It sounds like he is perfectly normal and perfectly sane.

His position also does not indicate he has a dislike for animals. I would not tolerate this situation myself and I love all animals, even more than Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter.

YEAH BUT, he is not being sensitive to my feelings! he calls my dog names and tells him to get lost, etc. i fully understand your point though, i don't like living with this smell either, but if i had to choose between my dog and him, my dog and me will leave. plus i feel when my dog dies that i will not get any emotional support from him and i worry about that cause the things he says about and to my dog make me think less and less of him. we are going to put him in a kennel for now and see if that helps. but if it don't then i don't know what else to do.

Your boyfriend is not insensitive. He just doesn't want to live with the scent of animal urine, which is extremely offensive. However, he does have the option of moving out. Even human beings who become incontinent from aging are put into facilities with personnel to deal with that. If you want to remain with your boyfriend, you should place your dog in a space where it will not produce an offensive urine odor for others who have to live in the house. I personally would move in a heartbeat rather than live with the smell of animal urine. While you are willing to make that sacrifice for the animal you love, your boyfriend is not and I don't blame him. He doesn't have to. His unwillingness to tolerate this noxious odor is no indication of his level of love for you. It is a clear sign he is not willing to live in unsanitary space with four odor. It sounds like he is perfectly normal and perfectly sane.

His position also does not indicate he has a dislike for animals. I would not tolerate this situation myself and I love all animals, even more than Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter.

• Author

If your guy is being a jerk and you do not feel he will be supportive of you after the death of your animal, dump him now. You shouldn't feel this way about a guy you are serious with.

You sound like you need someone who is more compassionate and empathetic toward you.

It is entirely possible that your boyfriend has been adversely affected by the stress of the sick pet and the foul odor in your place. What was he like before your pet got sick?

This is really a decision you must make alone based on what vibes you pick up from your guy, his general behavior, how he makes you feel, and what you see the future might be with him.

He doesn't sound like the guy for you.