Why does this girl look in my direction at times?

I know this would be a question to ask the person, but I wonder this. So being that I am in school at the moment, I have noticed this much younger female student in one of my classes looking in my direction. I mean it like this. I looked up gaze perception and I think that's what it is when you know when someone is looking at you and you turn to look at them. A lot of the time, I space out in class. I have nothing I am really looking at, just facing a general direction off into the distance, whether it's the wall, the floor, the table, or the ceiling, and then comes a moment when I notice her looking at me. I know she has a boyfriend, so it couldn't be because she is attracted to me. I am often staring off into the distance with thoughts in my head, so it isn't like I'm staring at her.

What do you think the deal is?

I disagree that this would be a question to ask the person - it would be weird and awkward.   As for the reason she's looking, my guess is that she's wondering why you're spaced out so often instead of being engaged in the lesson.   

Maybe she's just as spaced out as you are and happens to be vacantly staring in your general direction.  Or you might have a particle of  food stuck on your face or something like that.  

Edited by NuevoYorko
  • Author

Okay, in all seriousness, I will try to recount events where certain things happened. A few weeks ago, we were doing a class activity. I was just writing stuff down, and suddenly I noticed the girl turning to look directly at me. I noticed through my peripheral and then looked up and she looked away. No, I didn't have any food stuck to my face (I am usually good about that). I also noticed her looking at me one day where I wasn't in a good mood. It even happened last semester (if you're wondering, we were in the same class last semester as we are both on the campus newspaper). I thought to myself, "no way could she be attracted to someone much older than herself." Not to mention she has a boyfriend.

2 hours ago, E-Squared said:

Okay, in all seriousness, I will try to recount events where certain things happened. A few weeks ago, we were doing a class activity. I was just writing stuff down, and suddenly I noticed the girl turning to look directly at me. I noticed through my peripheral and then looked up and she looked away. No, I didn't have any food stuck to my face (I am usually good about that). I also noticed her looking at me one day where I wasn't in a good mood. It even happened last semester (if you're wondering, we were in the same class last semester as we are both on the campus newspaper). I thought to myself, "no way could she be attracted to someone much older than herself." Not to mention she has a boyfriend.

I agree that it's unlikely she's attracted to someone far older than herself.  But looking at someone doesn't have to mean romantic attraction.  Could be because she finds you unusual.  Or interesting. Or spacey.  Or good looking.  Or unattractive.  Or she wasn't really even aware she was doing it.   And to be clear, even if she found you good looking, it doesn't mean that she's necessarily attracted to you in a hot or romantic sense.  

Is it just this two times or does it happen multiple times per week?  If it's just twice, then it's not worth worrying about.

3 hours ago, E-Squared said:

I thought to myself, "no way could she be attracted to someone much older than herself." Not to mention she has a boyfriend.

It seems like you have a bit of a crush on her. That's ok, it happens. Perhaps smile, make conversation and try to reduce some of the awkwardness. At least you'll be able to relax and not worry about gazes and glances.

Try to make friends with your classmates by being open and approachable in general. That may ease some of the anxiety about  whether people are staring at you and trying to interpret it.

Edited by Wiseman2