He asked me this?

Merrilsilverste

Merrilsilverste

Why would a guy friend ask me where I'm meeting my friend? He was going to meet a female friend and then asked of I was working late.

I told him no and that I was going to see my friend. Then he asked where will you meet your friend and I told him about the place and he said yes I know that place.

He works part time at a theatre which stages dance, plays etc. He works there casually as a bartender or a stage assistant. I asked him if he has watched any shows recently as they have a lot of stuff going on and he's been working there quite frequently.

He said he hasnt watched a single one but then said he would like to watch watch romeo and juliet

does that mean something ? We share a lot of romantic history, we ve been on dates, and expressed liking as well .

I asked him if he watched any shows recently and he said he hasn't but he would like to see romeo and juliet.

I have never known him to be a romantic and he claims he doesnt like romantic things.

But then he said this.

Is it just a coincidence or he was hinting something ? Why ask this?

Edited by Merrilsilverste

if you have been on dates etc...by now he should be able to express his full intensions. I think you are trying/hoping to see something that may no be there. Slow your roll

• Like 1

It could just be he's heard or read about Romeo and Juliet and just wants to see the play.  I can't see how mentioning that to you is a sign of romantic interest especially since you've already dated.  Did he ever ask you out again?

• Author
Merrilsilverste
9 minutes ago, stillafool said:

It could just be he's heard or read about Romeo and Juliet and just wants to see the play.  I can't see how mentioning that to you is a sign of romantic interest especially since you've already dated.  Did he ever ask you out again?

Yes and we told each other our feelings too but he struggles with commitment so we didn't take it further but he still wanted to talk so we do

2 hours ago, Merrilsilverste said:

We share a lot of romantic history, we ve been on dates, and expressed liking as well .

Do you date regularly or exclusively? Try to focus on what the status of the relationship is. Reflect if you're happy with the dates and where this is or isn't going. By "commitment issues",  do you mean casual dating but you would like more?

It sounds like he was asking a simple question and maybe just making conversation.  I think you are reading too much into this.  If he is truly interested in dating you, he'll make an actual move like ask you out.  If he doesn't do that, then don't waste your time over-analyzing little things like this.

• Like 4
39 minutes ago, Merrilsilverste said:

Yes and we told each other our feelings too but he struggles with commitment so we didn't take it further but he still wanted to talk so we do

Was anything about your relationship similar to Romeo &Juliets story?

• Author
Merrilsilverste
10 minutes ago, stillafool said:

Was anything about your relationship similar to Romeo &Juliets story?

Well only thing similar is I'm on a student visa but looking for a sponsored job and he has residency 

• Author
Merrilsilverste
36 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Do you date regularly or exclusively? Try to focus on what the status of the relationship is. Reflect if you're happy with the dates and where this is or isn't going. By "commitment issues",  do you mean casual dating but you would like more?

Yes regularly and yes we were happy but he has a lot of financial issues and studies to do hence his work came before us

1 hour ago, Merrilsilverste said:

Fishing for information?

Being nosy.

To be clear, you are friends who dated in the past. There is no commitment to be exclusive. I'm sure you're in the present moment when you're together. When you're not with him, your life is your own, and you prefer it that way. It is not important for the other person to be concerned with what you are doing or where you are going.

ExpatInItaly

he struggles with commitment so we didn't take it further but he still wanted to talk so we do

And how is this working for you? 

You seem to be looking for signs that is still interested in you. Your feelings are involved. Be careful with how much contact you continue to have with him. 

• Author
Merrilsilverste
1 hour ago, Alpacalia said:

Being nosy.

To be clear, you are friends who dated in the past. There is no commitment to be exclusive. I'm sure you're in the present moment when you're together. When you're not with him, your life is your own, and you prefer it that way. It is not important for the other person to be concerned with what you are doing or where you are going.

Yes that's why I was very surprised when he asked where are you going to see your friend. I was like why ask this because I didn't ask him about who he's meeting and where he's going 

• Author
Merrilsilverste
1 hour ago, ExpatInItaly said:

And how is this working for you? 

You seem to be looking for signs that is still interested in you. Your feelings are involved. Be careful with how much contact you continue to have with him. 

I am fine with it

Well only thing similar is I'm on a student visa but looking for a sponsored job and he has residency 

I'm not seeing how this relates to the story of Romeo & Juliet.  I think you are hoping for more meaning to what he said than what he meant.

• Like 1
  • Author
Merrilsilverste
19 minutes ago, stillafool said:

I'm not seeing how this relates to the story of Romeo & Juliet.  I think you are hoping for more meaning to what he said than what he meant.

It means if I don't get a sponsored job I will have to go back and we will be separated just like romeo and juliet

55 minutes ago, Merrilsilverste said:

Yes that's why I was very surprised when he asked where are you going to see your friend. I was like why ask this because I didn't ask him about who he's meeting and where he's going 

You and he are friends right?   His question is a perfectly normal question for a friend to ask.  I find it more unusual that you don't make similar chit chat.

Regarding the Romeo and Juliet comment - as he's not interested in shows or romantic things, I think it was likely the only name he could remember at that instant.  Did you already know that he's not interested in shows?  If so, why did you ask the question?

Lastly, if you got sent back home, it won't be like Romeo and Juliet because you're not romantic partners who are desperately in love.  His other activities were more important to him than dating you.

I'm sorry, but I believe you're overthinking this to a high degree

Edited by basil67
  • Like 1
  • Author
Merrilsilverste
10 minutes ago, basil67 said:

You and he are friends right?   His question is a perfectly normal question for a friend to ask.  I find it more unusual that you don't make similar chit chat.

Regarding the Romeo and Juliet comment - as he's not interested in shows or romantic things, I think it was likely the only name he could remember at that instant.  Did you already know that he's not interested in shows?  If so, why did you ask the question?

Lastly, if you got sent back home, it won't be like Romeo and Juliet because you're not romantic partners who are desperately in love.  His other activities were more important to him than dating you.

I'm sorry, but I believe you're overthinking this to a high degree

We aren't really friends. We dated and we still talk and have romantic feelings

OK, well it's a perfectly normal question for a person who talks to another. 

If the shared "romantic feelings" aren't strong enough for you to become a couple, then there's really nothing to see here

We aren't really friends. We dated and we still talk and have romantic feelings

It's clear you have romantic feelings for him and you said you've both expressed them.  If so, why aren't you a couple?  You guys aren't even dating anymore.  

It means if I don't get a sponsored job I will have to go back and we will be separated just like romeo and juliet

Romeo and Juliet were separated by DEATH.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
ExpatInItaly
8 hours ago, Merrilsilverste said:

I am fine with it

So then why are you asking what a small question like this means?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Merrilsilverste said:

. We dated and we still talk and have romantic feelings

Since you seem to want more than this, it's up to you to step back and and date the kind of men who are ready willing and able to have the type of relationship you're interested in.

I honestly don't see any hidden meaning in what he said. 

I don't see any romantic hints.