Would bringing your own condiment be a bad idea during a romantic dinner?

Alpacalia

• Author
13 minutes ago, Gaeta said:

I'm not seeing where her actions were justified. It was a salad and that can be fixed so easily with another dressing or just oil. 

The goal here was to spend time with her date, the food was 2nd.

If the story had been about someone diabetic and the restaurant running out of splenda, yes l can see her running next door to grab splenda so she can enjoy her morning coffee, l mean even him would have been glad to go grab the splenda for her. 

Yes. It's about her and her date.

I'm thinking she asked for ranch dressing because she was uncertain about the Polish dishes that her date had chosen and ordered for her and maybe wanted the dressing to dip it in?

When the food arrived and the restaurant staff informed her that they had no ranch dressing, she didn't want to turn down the food her date had selected. So, she decided to get the ranch dressing from a nearby store.

But yes, she could have dipped it in something else or just eat it anyway.

Edited by Alpacalia
3 hours ago, Alpacalia said:

Of course, I can see that being a bit different then leaving the table to get a condiment on a 3rd or 4th date.

Yeah, this is the big difference. If she’s like this in the early stages, what is she going to be like once she’s comfortable in a relationship? Really I don’t have an issue with someone being a picky eater - my wife is picky relative to me (I like everything) as she’s a vegetarian. But she would have had much more tact and would have let me know before going to a restaurant if she wasn’t going to like it. It’s not so much the fact this woman was a picky eater - it’s more how unable she was to compromise and how she lacked any tact. 

• Like 1
  • Author

I totally feel for your wife. People can be so pushy and judgmental when it comes to food choices. For several years, I stuck to a vegetarian diet and refused to give in to the constant prodding to start eating meat. No matter how much pressure they put on me, I refused to let it influence my decisions and was adamant that I wouldn't change my eating habits just to make them happy.

Where we live vegetarians and vegans are pretty common so there are lots of options when we go out. When we travelled though it could be a bit tougher depending on the location. She’s been vegetarian since she was a kid though as her mom is vegetarian (dad eats everything) so to her it’s just very normal and we cook pretty much only vegetarian food at home. Our kids eat whatever they want and will have some meat as usually there’s a bit in the fridge for me. It’s really a non issue because I like everything so like vegetarian food too. If I was a hardcore meat eater we probably would never have become a couple!

• Like 1

Honestly, I would have just sucked it up and asked for a different salad dressing or ate the salad without it especially if I liked the guy. Leaving was kind of rude. 

On 4/8/2023 at 1:01 PM, Alpacalia said:

If your date ordered a salad but the restaurant didn't have her favorite dressing.

Then, she told her date she was leaving the restaurant to buy a bottle of dressing at the store across the street. Her date was visibly upset when she returned. Later, he thanked her for the date but decided not to see her again because he felt it was off-putting to leave and go buy a bottle of dressing rather than just eat without it.

(disclaimer: this didn't happen to me)

I'd simply move on with life, frankly to be so put off by something fairly trivial, if he liked her I suspect he may have not been so put off by this but her doing this gave him a good excuse not to see her again I would imagine.

I question why he got so upset by this, sure it is strange but to be upset about, probably tells me more about him than it does her.

• Like 1
  • Author
3 hours ago, ZA Dater said:

I'd simply move on with life, frankly to be so put off by something fairly trivial, if he liked her I suspect he may have not been so put off by this but her doing this gave him a good excuse not to see her again I would imagine.

I question why he got so upset by this, sure it is strange but to be upset about, probably tells me more about him than it does her.

Well, maybe he was just really passionate about salad dressing and felt like she was cheating on it by going to another store for a different brand. Or maybe he's secretly the CEO of the restaurant and felt personally offended that they didn't have her favorite dressing. Who knows, dating can be a salad-toss up sometimes!

I didn't read all the answers... anyway, I've never heard of anything like this before!

First off, choosing a salad for a date is a poor choice, ha! But that's me. Secondly, I can be quite squeamish, I'm vegetarian and I have food allergies, and I can tell you that I've never done something like that. That was not classy at all. Though I have to admit that dressing for me is a pinch of salt and extra virgin olive oil. Any other mix is usually unhealthy. So if evo oil wasn't available, I would have asked for a lemon. If they didn't have either, I would have just eaten the grass (+ the other vegetables, if any) without any dressing.

She did something daring and possibly illegal. In most restaurants you can't bring in your own food even if it's packaged and safe. The policy usually is no outside food. She could be sued in Europe, as you'd be doing something illegal.