Girl Doesn't Want To Commit....WHY?

Here's the story:

Reconnected with high school gf after 6 years of falling out of touch. Over the summer, we sort of started dating and emotionally, got very serious, although we could not officially date because she was leaving in the fall and she didnt want to "make waves" with her ex-boyrfiend right before she left. I felt somewhat hurt by this, but respected her decision to keep our relationship unofficial and open because I liked her so much.

Now, she's off in another country for about 8 months....and we talk for about two hours every single day....we say I love you and even talk about getting married. When she first left, she said she didn't want a committed relationship because she needs to figure things out on her own...needs space to figure things out on her own. But the fact that we're talking as much as we do implies that she really doesn't need that much mental/emotional space afterall.

What do I make of this? I feel like we're all but ready to get engaged except for the fact that she wants her freedom. Why is this? Can anyone tell me why a girl would want this to be the case? Ladies? Does this mean she really sees no future and just wants someone to talk to while she's in a new country with not alot of friends....soon, she'll be travelling with her 2 best girl friends around the country....could it mean that she wants to hook up with other guys while on this trip?

HELP!