tricky situation

MonnieTaylor

MonnieTaylor

I'm 19 and have had lots of flirty friendships and talking stages. Now I'm out of highschool and all my friends are dating people and in happy relationships. I planned to go on to university and find someone there but plans have sort of changed on that front and now I'm suddenly thinking about this guy from my past. Let's call him Ted he's now 18. 

Ted and I were really close in year 10 and I was always happy around him and seeking his friendship. He was quite popular and lots of girlfriends - so I didn't talk to him as much during this as people always said I liked him and was very flirty (but I didn't-It felt very platonic on my front). Then he stopped dating and we were pretty close. But I still didn't really know I liked him and I was friends with his brother so he didn't want us anywhere near each other. 

Anyway, I moved schools and we stopped talking. Then last year, he went to a party with my younger brother and he asked me to drive him and his mates home so I did. His friends all knew me and were saying random things like "when you were Ted's girlfriend" - and Ted would say "cause you love me" Then it was just him, his best friend and me and there's a flat ground near where we live where people take their cars and do burn outs so we went there and Ted wanted to drive so I got out and he messed about. Then he told me to get in and he did a few laps until he lost control and bumped the wheel into the gutter. Basically, we couldn't get home cause the car was damaged and my parents had to pick me up but we both felt really bad. He paid for the damage and we didn't speak again. 

Now, I'm thinking about everything's that has happened and I just want him in my life again. Like I'm going back and over-analysing everything we said like I don't know. And I can't tell if he hated me or liked me or not. Should I wait until we're older to reconnect? Idk... 

4 minutes ago, MonnieTaylor said:

. I planned to go on to university and find someone there but plans have sort of changed on that front 

Why not focus on getting into university? Not only is it great for your future and career, it's good for your social life especially if you live on campus.

In the meantime, get a fun part-time job, join some groups and clubs, volunteer, take some classes and courses and broaden your social horizons.

This boy was too young and immature for you so leave the past in the past. Focus on your future. He's probably moved on anyway. 

Focus on meeting new interesting people and men. You could also try dating quality apps and start talking to and meeting new more mature men.

• Like 3

He sounds like someone you could have fun with but not much more depth there. It's hard to tell from this distance if he liked you or if he was just being friendly. It may be worth waiting until you are both a bit older before reconnecting, since it sounds like he was pretty protective in thinking about what people would say. Kind of means that he's more concerned with his reputation than with you.

• Like 1

I too think you should wait for college and meet new guys who make it clear to you they are interested in dating you.  From what you wrote about Ted it sounds very platonic and it didn't sound to me that he was interested in being more than friends.  Did he try to kiss you?

You will be going to college...there is no point in getting into anything with anyone at this time. Sure maybe down the road when you are finished with school and you are still single, contact him. It's all about timing.

I think you're overthinking. Both of you are still very young and at that stage alot of people are only thinking about having fun. It does seem like that is the case with Ted. It's good that you have maintained a good friendship with him and I would personally reach out to him if you want to have fun. This is the guy for you :D

However if you want to have a relationship with him you could by all means ask to go out on a date and see where it goes from there. 

Are you going away for university?

If so, then there won't be any point in getting into relationship now.

Things will just get awkward.