A really Good Friend

I think I originally posted this in the wrong forum, but i think this is the best spot to put it. I am still new to the community, so please forgive me for any mistakes I make in posting.

I am 16 and a junior in high school. In freshman year, this girl came new to our school (its from grades 6-12 if that's important). She is the same age as me (actually 4 months older than me). She was really cool, and I really liked ther. However, she started going out with this guy and they were serious for a year and half, and then they broke up in the summer. She is a pretty good friend, but I really think I'm falling in love with her. I have started hanging out with her a lot, and she seems to be paying more attention to me than most other people, even though a few guys hit on her. One problem is that I don't know if she views me as a friend, or something more.

Also, she does this youth symphony thing with a few of my other friends. The symphony people (from a bunch of different schools who are in this program) all seem to know each other, and I don't know if she is seeing anyone outside our school. I don't want to be embarassed asking her out if she is already going out with someone.

My friends (guys) have noticed me hanging around her, and they keep on telling me to ask her out, but I am not sure if she is seeing someone else. A close friend of hers in the symphony orchestra would probably know about her relationship status, but I think she (the friend) is going to tell the girl I like about me, whether or not she is actually seeing someone. I don't want to ruin our friendship, especially if she already has a boyfriend. I also don't want to rush into asking her out, either. I have never had a girlfriend before, so I am really new to this. I don't exactly know what to do.

Thanks in advance for all your info.