anyone familiar with Greek functions???

hi all,

just a quick question.....my boyfriend is Greek and occasionally attends Greek functions, which he has told me i can't attend with him because, of course, i'm not "Greek". apparently they play Greek music and it's basically just a huge Greek bash. and i reiterate that he tells me there is no way at all i could go cos i ain't Greek. so i'm wondering....does anyone know if these functions are strictly for Greeks only, or i am being told a load of bulls**t??

He's basically told you a load of bull.

The Greeks are a very proud people but they open their culture up to anyone who wants to get involved. I once dated a Greek girl and had the time of my life. I attended Greek parties, weddings (if you can ever go to one, they are something else), baptisms/christenings, festivals, etc.

The worst thing that happened is that I met dozens of beautiful Greek honeys and my girlfriend got a little jealous. I danced the Greek dances along with everybody else and they were loads of fun. Everybody joins in.

They do cook a lot of lamb and I don't eat lamb. I guess that goes back to when I used to recite Mary had a little lamb, you know, for a pet. I just don't eat lamb. But Greek food, and especially the pastry deserts, are the best in the world. The wedding cookies, coated with white powdered sugar, melt in your mouth and are to die for when they are homemade.

In Greek communities, there are usually Greek belly dancers...and they are the best. I fell instantly in love with one at a party once when I put a dollar right up against her belly button...oh, what a button it was.

The Greeks are open, friendly, wonderful people. Your boyfriend is a first class horse's ass and I wouldn't stay with him another second. Please don't hold anything against the Greek community because of him, he's the rotten apple. My guess is he is seeing another girl who attends these activities.

If you send me his name to: <e-mail address removed> I will forward it to the Greek embassy and have him deGreeked.

What a jerk!!! Get away from him...but by all means see if you can attend a Greek wedding. For the reception, the Greek women all get together and cook tons of food and bake the best pastries in the world rather than pay a caterer. Between the music, the food, and the friendly people you will have the time of your life.

For more information on the Greek culture, call your nearest Greek Orthodox Church. Most of them have one or two days a year where you can go to their community center for a Greek feast. They will also welcome you to church services and any other activities they have.

If you really want to get this guy, find out when the next Greek church function is and invite HIM to join YOU.

The only thing sort of negative I can say about the Greek church is that if you take a flash picture during a church ceremony, the priest will stop in the middle of it and chew your butt out. I got one of those chewings. That was Father Athas...who became a great friend of mine later on.

What a pure dud your guy is. You are sure missing out on a lot of Greek fun, especially finding out who this girl is your boyfriend doesn't want you to meet.

P.S. Why would you want to date a man who would not be willing to share such an important part of his life with you??? This is YOUR fault, not his. He can't help being an ass...but you CAN help being a victim of his crap.

Go to: http://www.greekfestivals.com/greekfest.html for a list of Greek Festivals around the country. You will also learn a lot about the rich Greek culture at this site.

I also just happened to think...one of the most famous couples of the 20th century was Greek shipping magnate Aristotle Onassis, one of the richest men in Europe, and Jackie Kennedy, the widow of U.S. President John F. Kennedy.

Not only did Aristotle invite his very American fiance to all sorts of Greek functions but he married her, brought her and her two children to his Island off the mainland of Greece, and left her about $26 million to take back with her to the states upon his death. What a guy!!! Certainly not related to your boyfriend.

That is most pathetic excuse I've heard. Maybe he has another girl that joins him at these Greek functions. Or maybe he has another girlfriend and all the people at the Greek functions know he's dating her, not you.

I know a handful of Greek friends who are often inviting me to their Greek parties and "functions".

Whatever he's doing sounds pretty fishy. You should get to the bottom of this ASAP.