True friendship survey

Comments please

Comments please

When truly in need,how many real friends do you think you can count on for their support.Those that are prepared to help and not expect anything in return.In materialistic world, I suspect not many

Comments please

Friends do not exist to assist in a material way, unless they will to do so and are able to do so. Judging a friendship on whether or not a "friend" has the ability to come forth during a financial crisis makes the person expecting such NOT a friend.

Friends are there for emotional support, companionship, and for an assortment of social exchanges beyond the capacity of an acquaintance to render.

I have probably 12 excellent friends (I am extremely lucky), although I could rank them in order of closeness. They would all be there for me if I needed them. Some would be able to help financially, others would not. I know which ones not to ask but not being able to help me materially would not diminish the quality of their friendship. Friends are not there for my convenience or to be taken advantage of.

Most of us would be absolutely surprised at the people who would surface to help if they found out we were in need. I went into the hospital once for an operation...and many people who I would never have dreamed would visit did...and people I would have expected to be there did not even call me.

A true friend expects nothing from a friendship short of the silent promise that through thick and thin, rich and poor, they will in some significant way we will be there for them and they will be there for us in spirit and in deed.

On more comment. I don't think value-for-value friendships are bad at all. While friends should not expect immediate return of their kindnesses, one-sided relationships of any kind suck. There must be a balance of sorts in a friendship or it will not endure. Friends give to each other when they can, when it's called for and appropriate, and in measure proportionate to their ability. I think there should be a reasonable expectation of mutual loyalty.

There is an agreement with your views that friendship is a 2 way streets

----------------------------------------------------------

Friends do not exist to assist in a material way, unless they will to do so and are able to do so. Judging a friendship on whether or not a "friend" has the ability to come forth during a financial crisis makes the person expecting such NOT a friend. Friends are there for emotional support, companionship, and for an assortment of social exchanges beyond the capacity of an acquaintance to render. I have probably 12 excellent friends (I am extremely lucky), although I could rank them in order of closeness. They would all be there for me if I needed them. Some would be able to help financially, others would not. I know which ones not to ask but not being able to help me materially would not diminish the quality of their friendship. Friends are not there for my convenience or to be taken advantage of. Most of us would be absolutely surprised at the people who would surface to help if they found out we were in need. I went into the hospital once for an operation...and many people who I would never have dreamed would visit did...and people I would have expected to be there did not even call me. A true friend expects nothing from a friendship short of the silent promise that through thick and thin, rich and poor, they will in some significant way we will be there for them and they will be there for us in spirit and in deed. On more comment. I don't think value-for-value friendships are bad at all. While friends should not expect immediate return of their kindnesses, one-sided relationships of any kind suck. There must be a balance of sorts in a friendship or it will not endure. Friends give to each other when they can, when it's called for and appropriate, and in measure proportionate to their ability. I think there should be a reasonable expectation of mutual loyalty.

One. One Friend. One. One whopping friend. People make me sick how they claim to be friends and then bail out when times get tough. So I have one true friend. This friend would sacrifice anything for me and I would do the same for him. But this number seems so small....

About ten, including myself (granted I know MANY more people who I wouldn't put in this category). Some could help financially, but most emotionally and on a spirit level. I've received help when I didn't expect it and I've tried to be a good friend in return.

Friends do not exist to assist in a material way, unless they will to do so and are able to do so. Judging a friendship on whether or not a "friend" has the ability to come forth during a financial crisis makes the person expecting such NOT a friend. Friends are there for emotional support, companionship, and for an assortment of social exchanges beyond the capacity of an acquaintance to render. I have probably 12 excellent friends (I am extremely lucky), although I could rank them in order of closeness. They would all be there for me if I needed them. Some would be able to help financially, others would not. I know which ones not to ask but not being able to help me materially would not diminish the quality of their friendship. Friends are not there for my convenience or to be taken advantage of. Most of us would be absolutely surprised at the people who would surface to help if they found out we were in need. I went into the hospital once for an operation...and many people who I would never have dreamed would visit did...and people I would have expected to be there did not even call me. A true friend expects nothing from a friendship short of the silent promise that through thick and thin, rich and poor, they will in some significant way we will be there for them and they will be there for us in spirit and in deed. On more comment. I don't think value-for-value friendships are bad at all. While friends should not expect immediate return of their kindnesses, one-sided relationships of any kind suck. There must be a balance of sorts in a friendship or it will not endure. Friends give to each other when they can, when it's called for and appropriate, and in measure proportionate to their ability. I think there should be a reasonable expectation of mutual loyalty.