Going to College, but girlfriend is still in high school

I have been dating a girl for almost a year and a half now. Things have been great, we always seemed to click and know what each other was thinking. But now that I am ready to go to college things have gotten rocky. I don't know if she is scared that I will find someone else or if she just wants to be alone her senior year. I don't know what to do. Any suggestons or comments?

She's way too young to know exactly what she wants in the long term. You're probably right about her fear of you moving on once in college. However, there is a greater possiblity she will find someone else as soon as you're out of sight.

High school gals are pretty fickle and when a guy is out of sight, he's usually out of mind.

Stay friends, keep in touch, but let's be realistic about this. Neither one of you are ready to make a committment.

I also want to tell you...if your college is anything like mine was, you'll go mad with the number of females you'll see and meet on a daily basis. Give yourself a chance to enjoy life...and extend the same courtesy to lady.

If the two of you stay close over the long haul, then it was really meant to be.

Hi TK,

well, this is a tricky situation. On one hand, you sound like you really love your girlfriend and on the other hand you can't predict what kind of year the future will bring for the two of you. For starters, how far away is the college you are attending? If it's a long distance then you need to really sit down and talk to her about what you both want to do. You may not want to leave her behind and she may not either, or you two may not want to let things get too serious yet because you are so young.

This is going to be kind of a hard thing for the two of you and it always is when you are high school sweethearts. Time changes people, I'm sure I don't have to tell you that. Things are always great until it becomes serious and then you may find you are afraid to talk to eachother and really be honest about what you want and your futures, etc.

If you feel that it's going to be too much for both of you to continue the relationship once you've gone off to school, then you owe it to her to discuss it. I'd like to tell you to leave this for the last minute but, you can't because summer has almost come to an end. I think you two should take things easy. Above all, be honest with her. Yes it may hurt if you are realizing that a relationship is just not possible during this time for you but at least you can be honest with her about it now.

Also, she is going to have a busy year of her own, filled with new and exciting possibilities so you need to remind her of that when you finally do sit down and talk to her. The best thing in the world for you to do is to spend some time alone together and have a serious talk about this whole situation. Be honest, but be supportive because this is a delicate situation that deserves a lot of attention.

I think if you just think things through and be as sensitive and honest as you can then it will work out for the best.

I have been dating a girl for almost a year and a half now. Things have been great, we always seemed to click and know what each other was thinking. But now that I am ready to go to college things have gotten rocky. I don't know if she is scared that I will find someone else or if she just wants to be alone her senior year. I don't know what to do. Any suggestons or comments?

Marzipan,

Thanks for the help. The college I am going to is only a little over an hour away. That is why I don't think it will be as hard as some other long distance relationships people have had. I plan on coming home every other weekend and she is coming down to college the weekends taht I don't go home. I think if we both love each other it will work.

Hi TK, well, this is a tricky situation. On one hand, you sound like you really love your girlfriend and on the other hand you can't predict what kind of year the future will bring for the two of you. For starters, how far away is the college you are attending? If it's a long distance then you need to really sit down and talk to her about what you both want to do. You may not want to leave her behind and she may not either, or you two may not want to let things get too serious yet because you are so young. This is going to be kind of a hard thing for the two of you and it always is when you are high school sweethearts. Time changes people, I'm sure I don't have to tell you that. Things are always great until it becomes serious and then you may find you are afraid to talk to eachother and really be honest about what you want and your futures, etc. If you feel that it's going to be too much for both of you to continue the relationship once you've gone off to school, then you owe it to her to discuss it. I'd like to tell you to leave this for the last minute but, you can't because summer has almost come to an end. I think you two should take things easy. Above all, be honest with her. Yes it may hurt if you are realizing that a relationship is just not possible during this time for you but at least you can be honest with her about it now. Also, she is going to have a busy year of her own, filled with new and exciting possibilities so you need to remind her of that when you finally do sit down and talk to her. The best thing in the world for you to do is to spend some time alone together and have a serious talk about this whole situation. Be honest, but be supportive because this is a delicate situation that deserves a lot of attention. I think if you just think things through and be as sensitive and honest as you can then it will work out for the best.