SCMandy

Being an athlete growing up through high school I stayed fit and exercise regularly today.  As we all know we are our own worst critics so I look at myself and see imperfections, which is fine, but in an attempt to get past some of them I am looking to tone up.  I am happy with my upper body (stomach, chest, arms) and with my legs but I’m always looking to tone up and tighten my butt some.  It’s not bad I just want it to be a bit firmer.  I recently started yoga in hopes of that helping but does anyone have any other recommendations to target that specific area?

Andy_K

Single legged leg press. More glute isolation than using both legs, and helps even out imbalances. Split squats are good for similar reasons.

For something lighter, consider the rowing machine - but do NOT secure your feet in with the straps. This forces you to use your core and glutes to stabilise and return to neutral, which will work them a lot more than you'd think.

• Thanks 1
  • Author
SCMandy

This is amazing feedback! Thank you so much.  Why have I never considered the rowing machine?!? 

happyhorizons
1 hour ago, Andy_K said:

Single legged leg press. More glute isolation than using both legs, and helps even out imbalances. Split squats are good for similar reasons.

For something lighter, consider the rowing machine - but do NOT secure your feet in with the straps. This forces you to use your core and glutes to stabilise and return to neutral, which will work them a lot more than you'd think.

This is really good advice.  I would also add that everyone's BODY is different and certain exercises work better for different BODY FRAMES.  It's important to maybe try different exercises to see what works best for you.  Fitness is a fun journey to take especially when you start to see the results you desire.  

• Like 1
  • Author
SCMandy
Posted (edited)

Totally! 

Edited by SCMandy
Incorrect spelling
  • Like 1
Foxhall

You ever played any racket sports?

Squash can be good- constant movement, change of direction,  stepping, bending, stretching and so on,

perhaps dont take it as serious as I though- where I will not sleep at night after losing a game.

• Author
SCMandy
7 hours ago, Foxhall said:

Squash can be good- constant movement, change of direction,  stepping, bending, stretching and so on,

perhaps dont take it as serious as I though- where I will not sleep at night after losing a game.

I play tennis occasionally but that’s a good idea, I’ve never played squash before and I definitely won’t take it as seriously as you 🤣

• Like 2
happyhorizons
On 5/9/2024 at 6:48 AM, SCMandy said:

I play tennis occasionally but that’s a good idea, I’ve never played squash before and I definitely won’t take it as seriously as you 🤣

Fox is right that being active will go a long way in helping you get the results you desire. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
happyhorizons
On 5/8/2024 at 11:33 PM, Foxhall said:

Being dedicated to fitness and overall body health takes consistent effort and really becomes a way of life but it can be done with hard work.  If you are training for a sport then you are talking about an entirely different regiment of work to get your body ready.  

• Like 1