Should I buy a place if my gf doesn't like it?

• Author
ironpony
On 6/25/2024 at 12:38 PM, Els said:

As @basil67 and @Gaeta have said, there's a big difference between avoiding all risk, and being careful with risk management. Everything we do in life carries risk, but I hope you'll agree that there's a huge spectrum of risk between taking a walk in the park and jumping out of a plane with no backup parachute.

You need to talk to a financial advisor about your goals and how to come up with a plan to achieve those goals while minimizing the risk.

When it comes to risk assessment, us that why friends and family are worried about the relationship, if relationships are just really high risk nowadays?

basil67
2 hours ago, ironpony said:

Im paying the minimum why?

Because if you don't have redraw facility, hopefully you're building up a bit of spare funds for emergency in your savings account.

basil67

When it comes to risk assessment, us that why friends and family are worried about the relationship, if relationships are just really high risk nowadays?

Again, not all risk is equal.   All relationships come with risk, but some relationships are more risky than others. 

In your case, I remember us all being concerned about the age difference in your relationship and whether she'd eventually want a man closer to her own age. But we can't speak for those around you.  Have your friends and family told you exactly what they are worried about? 

• Author
ironpony

They told me they are worried about it not working out because I am autistic more so.  The relationship has been going much better than my previous ones, and I think the reason is because of that.  But I wonder, if I should go with what stats say, that it won't like work out because of the age gap, or should I go by the chemistry being so much better, over stats probably?

basil67
10 minutes ago, ironpony said:

They told me they are worried about it not working out because I am autistic more so.  The relationship has been going much better than my previous ones, and I think the reason is because of that.  But I wonder, if I should go with what stats say, that it won't like work out because of the age gap, or should I go by the chemistry being so much better, over stats probably?

Ironpony, you're being silly.  People can't live their lives by statistics.    

• Author
ironpony

Yeah for sure, I am just wondering, why people worry so much about my relationship, unless they are going by statistics.

basil67

Yeah for sure, I am just wondering, why people worry so much about my relationship, unless they are going by statistics.

Why did you tell us that their concerns were about statistics...or your autism.... if you don't even know this for sure?    We can't help you if you're misrepresenting conversations

Edited by basil67
  • Author
ironpony
Posted (edited)

Sorry they mentioned both. They said that it was because of autism but also that the statistics of relationships are not working out for so many other couples compared to ever before either.

Edited by ironpony
basil67
6 hours ago, ironpony said:

Sorry they mentioned both. They said that it was because of autism but also that the statistics of relationships are not working out for so many other couples compared to ever before either.

Do you have any brothers or sisters?  Did your parents also advise them to not marry due to statistics?

• Like 1
  • Author
ironpony

I have a sister who is married and brother that is single.  I am not sure if they told her that, or if they did, I do not know of it.

My sister got married in her early 20s, so perhaps they felt more secure about it, since she had just as much as her husband at the time, where as maybe I have a lot more money compared to my gf... but that is just pure speculation as to if my parents feel differently about my situation.