Tony

confused between " Intelligent vs Smart"

What's the difference between Smart vs Intelligent? How would you distinguish the 2?

I'm so confused on that since To me: Intelligent --) talent ; Smart --) learn,but I'm not sure!

Can you say smart=intelligent? why or why not?

Can you say smart=intelligent? why or why not?

No, smart does not equal intelligent. You can be smart without being intelligent and vice versa.

Being smart means knowing precisely what to do with the intelligence one has. There are a lot of intelligent people who are rather stupid in that fashion.

Being intelligent means knowing a lot of facts. If you don't know how to apply this factual knowledge to your life and to the world, you are not very smart.

I suppose it is better to be one or the other and be stupid in some fashion than to be devoid of factual knowledge and also not know just how to apply your stupidity.

Forrest Gump was an excellent example. He was very smart but not very intelligent. Bill Clinton, on the other hand, was very intelligent but not very smart.

Both of them got the girls, though.

I know some one who's always telling people he knows this and that person,and tries to show that he's knowledgeable about fashion,food and wine.

do people behave this way because of their insecurity?

-----------------------------------------------------------

I don't think being intelligent means knowing lots of facts.Being KNOWLEDGABLE means knowing lots of facts.

When I think of intelligence,i think of the ability to THINK,someone who is clever and quick at "understanding"

Smart,is someone whois clever and quick at "thought or action"

Both require thinking,not learning,and talent,is just natural,innate.It's to do with SKILL,and involves a different part of the brain from the regions used in intellectual abilities.

Smart=/= learning.Learning is "training" vs"conditioning" in psych term.it has quite lots to do with repetition in fact as well as trial and error

-----------------------------------------------------------

Can you say smart=intelligent? why or why not? No, smart does not equal intelligent. You can be smart without being intelligent and vice versa. Being smart means knowing precisely what to do with the intelligence one has. There are a lot of intelligent people who are rather stupid in that fashion. Being intelligent means knowing a lot of facts. If you don't know how to apply this factual knowledge to your life and to the world, you are not very smart. I suppose it is better to be one or the other and be stupid in some fashion than to be devoid of factual knowledge and also not know just how to apply your stupidity. Forrest Gump was an excellent example. He was very smart but not very intelligent. Bill Clinton, on the other hand, was very intelligent but not very smart. Both of them got the girls, though.

YOU ASK: "do people behave this way because of their insecurity?"

Some are insecure, I suppose. Some want to seem better than others. Some just want to impress. And many just want others to be aware that they know a lot of people and a bit about fashion, food and wine.

Latin for: "I think, therefore I am." - Rene Descartes, philosopher, in his Discourse on the Method" published in 1637.

In the Meditations (1641), the canonical phrase does not occur, but Descartes argues instead that 'I am, I exist is certain as often as it is put forward or conceived in the mind.' Descartes later observed that the meditator's indubitable awareness of his own existence was 'recognized as self-evident by a simple intuition of the mind'. There is a partial anticipation of Descartes's Cogito in Augustine, De Civitate Dei, 11.26.

On the other hand, philosopher Immanuel Kant advanced the opposite, Sum Ergo Cogito...I am, therefore I think.

I hope that explains it all for you.

Latin for: "I think, therefore I am." - Rene Descartes, philosopher, in his Discourse on the Method" published in 1637. In the Meditations (1641), the canonical phrase does not occur, but Descartes argues instead that 'I am, I exist is certain as often as it is put forward or conceived in the mind.' Descartes later observed that the meditator's indubitable awareness of his own existence was 'recognized as self-evident by a simple intuition of the mind'. There is a partial anticipation of Descartes's Cogito in Augustine, De Civitate Dei, 11.26. On the other hand, philosopher Immanuel Kant advanced the opposite, Sum Ergo Cogito...I am, therefore I think. I hope that explains it all for you.