It's only been 18 years.

MrFurley

When I was in college there was always this girl I was interested in that was a manager at where I worked. However due to the nature of the work place we could not be a "thing". We definitely had chemistry and enjoyed each other's company. Exact same sense of humor. We did a lot of innocent flirting as 20 something olds would do. There were a lot of rumors in the office that we were actively dating when clearly was not the case. We actually mustered up the courage to go on a date in private, but sadly it was never to be as she was stuck out of town due to some unforeseen family issues.

She left the company a few months later and that is where our story ended.  After all this time, I always had regret in not pursuing her further. I was a youngster and l will be honest was petrified of rejection. Still kind of am, but who isn't?  

Fast forward to present day, I recently started to tinker my linkedin profile after some changes at work. And who do I see as a suggested connection? Her and I had a mutual connection. So i went for it. Sent her a nice little message saying she probably didn't remember me, thinking I would never get a response.  I actually googled "how to reconnect with someone without sounding creepy" hahaha. Kept the conversation light and within a day she wrote me back!

Heres where the twilight zone stuff comes into play. As I have gotten older, I have inherited some of my dad's genes ie (Recently being diagnosed as a diabetic as well as fighting colitis since my late 20s) and was looking for a dietician and nutritionist. Guess who is said nutritionist!  We exchanged some messages and she agreed to chat with me about my conditions and to get a plan in order.

My question to all - how or do I explain how I felt after all these years? Obviously I am not going to open up about this over a protein shake.  She appears to be single since there is no change in her name or any other indication. If she in fact becomes my nutritionist - is it inappropriate to ask her out for a drink or meal to reconnect? (Granted the meal will be super nutritious hahaha)

It's only been 18 years, but I would hate to live another 18 years with regret knowing I could have had a second chance at love and missed it. 😔  Not to sound corny or anything but I've been watching a lot of The Office lately and I am up to the episodes with Michael Scott and Holly; which probably is weighing on me.

Sorry for the long post and appreciate all help and insight. 

basil67

How amazing to find her again!   

The problem with your theory is that ethically, she cannot date you and be your nutritionist.  She can't even reject you and be your nutritionist because it she'd still be ethically bound to refer you to someone else.

My suggestion is to come clean with her and tell her that you've never forgotten her and would love to take her on a date.  Acknowledge that this would cause difficulties with seeing her professionally and ask if she could recommend another nutritionist.   No matter what her response is, you'll get a good nutritionist and you may get a date

Good luck

Edited by basil67
  • Like 2
MsJayne

Are you sure she's single? She may not have changed her name but that doesn't mean she isn't spoken for. Maybe ferret out that information first before inviting her on a date so you don't find yourself in an awkward moment. You can easily find another nutritionist, but if you think she may be The One they're not so easy to come by :)

• Like 1
mark clemson

As pointed out, in many countries/jurisdictions having a personal relationship with a client puts the professional career at risk. Some discussion of your conditions can probably be a starting point (I would assume + she should know the details on that point), but IF she's available for a relationship then have her refer you to someone she knows for the treatments so that you can safely date.

It's been 18 years and a lot may have changed - I've occasionally looked up a few former GFs from my youth and discovered they are whole new people now and not necessarily ones the me of today would be overly interested in dating. So you may be idealizing her based on outdated info/impressions from your youth. That said, that doesn't mean you shouldn't at least try - you MIGHT indeed be happily surprised. Just keep your expectation levels reasonable.