Are all men very attracted to their wives, or do they grow to like their looks?

kate678

I was wondering what peoples’ opinions are on this…. 

Do you think lots of men grow to like a woman’s appearance rhe more time they spend with her, either in dating or spending time together before ir becomes romantic? Or do most men marry women who they thought were gorgeous initially the moment they first met them? 

Gebidozo

Personally, I never thought any woman gorgeous the moment I met them. To me, “gorgeous” implies more than just pure looks (and even pure looks have to undergo a certain test of time and situations). It’s the smile, the laughter, the expression of the eyes, the human qualities that are visible on the face, the grace with which a woman moves, dresses, does things, the way she talks, her intelligence, her humor, her hobbies and interests… in short, all those things that are impossible to notice the moment you first meet her.

My fiancée’s appearance definitely grew on me, from a “pleasant, cute, lovely, sweet” early impression to “the most beautiful woman in the world” now.

• Like 3

In general men need to 'like' the appearance of a woman from the get go for their feelings to grow. If he doesn't find you attractive then no, don't play his friend thinking with time and attachment he will feel attraction. 

em2001ily
1 hour ago, Gaeta said:

In general men need to 'like' the appearance of a woman from the get go for their feelings to grow. If he doesn't find you attractive then no, don't play his friend thinking with time and attachment he will feel attraction. 

What about the millions of men out there who are with a woman who doesn't look like what they would describe as their ideal type, or who doesn't look particularly conventionally attractive...not that all men are what society considers conventionally attractive either, but in most relationships the woman is more conventionally attractive.

Edited by em2001ily
Gebidozo
1 hour ago, Gaeta said:

Yes, liking the appearance and being attracted is crucial. 

Perhaps more detail is needed here. OP, does the man in question think that you’re a nice person, but isn’t attracted to you physically? Then no, nothing can grow out of that.

Or is he attracted to you, but doesn’t shower you with compliments of your physical appearance? Then all is good, he doesn’t have to think that you are an eternal queen of beauty yet. But initial physical liking is a must, of course.

• Like 1
Gebidozo
21 minutes ago, em2001ily said:

What about the millions of men out there who are with a woman who doesn't look like what they would describe as their ideal type, or who doesn't look particularly conventionally attractive...not that all men are what society considers conventionally attractive either, but in most relationships the woman is more conventionally attractive.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If a man truly loves a woman, he finds her gorgeous. It doesn’t matter how her appearance is evaluated according to the ever-changing aesthetic standards.

An “ideal type” is quite a murky concept, especially when applied solely to physical appearance.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, em2001ily said:

Attraction is very personal. My bf finds me very attractive and my neighbor may thing l'm average or not his style. Some men like women tall, thin, blond other men prefer shorthy brunettes with a bit of meat on their bones (thank god lol).  But men do need that initial spark. Women experience attraction a bit differently. You know the saying : men fall in love with their eyes and women with their ears.

basil67
42 minutes ago, em2001ily said:

I suspect you experience a more shallow level of attraction.  Do you not know what it's like to be attracted to a man who isn't conventionally attractive?  Or grown to find someone attractive the more you get to know and care for them?

mark clemson
On 6/25/2024 at 3:42 AM, kate678 said:

Do you think lots of men grow to like a woman’s appearance rhe more time they spend with her, either in dating or spending time together before ir becomes romantic? Or do most men marry women who they thought were gorgeous initially the moment they first met them?

"Most" covers quite a bit of ground, and so I think the answer to your question is definitely NO. I think men's preference would be to marry a woman they find beautiful. but there are arranged marriages as well as, essentially, marrying someone because they're who is available. 

There is also a tendency to marry within one's "swim lane" in terms of attractiveness, so a less attractive man may indeed choose a less attractive women to marry rather than not be married at all.

It's also certainly true that women who are not overly physically attractive may have other great qualities (including but not limited to sexual ones, something important to many men) that make them quality partners a man can be content with.

For the second part of your question, I think it's harder to answer - I DO think there's a tendency to find someone more attractive as your feelings for them grow. However, I'm not sure there is something like a tendency on how that holds up over time, e.g. as women age, the relationship goes from it's early stages to later ones, etc. I suspect that by late middle age there are plenty of people (men AND women) who don't find their partner particularly attractive "anymore" yet nonetheless are happy to remain together.

• Like 1
1HappyGoLucky

I believe if a couple enter a relationship with no spark or sexual attraction to one another, it won't grow over time. They can make an effort to create attraction, but without a genuine underlying magnetism it would always be an effort. As you age together it becomes harder to find that attraction.

basil67
48 minutes ago, 1HappyGoLucky said:

I believe if a couple enter a relationship with no spark or sexual attraction to one another, it won't grow over time. They can make an effort to create attraction, but without a genuine underlying magnetism it would always be an effort. As you age together it becomes harder to find that attraction.

OP is talking about looks, not sexual attraction.   While for some people, looks are required for sexual attraction, for other people they looks and sexual attraction can operate independently