Does this demonstrate a lack of care?

Afsharr

I rent out the basement with another lady in separate rooms with the landlord and her 2 kids and husband live upstairs.  Person A ('me) has complained four times about person B being overly loud at night and in the morning with music (I  have multiple video recordings) and has told the landlord person B is harassing me.

The landlord has asked person B she needs to be accommodating to me and needs to be quiet.  Person B ignored and played music at 7 PM and my landlord started vacuuming the floor aggressively. (Her room is below the kitchen and living room)

Yet I received a warning and person B continued the music and being loud at night. 

basil67

What did you receive the warning for?   Was the other tenant already in place when you moved in?   While loud music is certainly annoying, it's a bit unrealistic to criticise someone for vacuuming upstairs. 

Generally speaking, I would say that sharing a house isn't ideal when someone values their peace and quiet.  Perhaps finding yourself a one bedroom apartment would be better

MsJayne

Person B is anti-social, so I’d suggest looking for a new place if the landlord doesn’t give B the “be quiet or get out” letter. Why did you get a warning? Was it a verbal or written warning, and was it to both tenants or just you? If it was to both I’d guess the landlord is just covering their butt so they can’t be accused of discrimination when they evict B. If it was just you then I suggest seeking advice from whatever body in the US deals with residential tenancy disputes. 

mark clemson

A "problem" is often an "opportunity" - look for find a better place to live.

• Author
Afsharr
1 hour ago, basil67 said:

What did you receive the warning for?   Was the other tenant already in place when you moved in?   While loud music is certainly annoying, it's a bit unrealistic to criticise someone for vacuuming upstairs. 

Generally speaking, I would say that sharing a house isn't ideal when someone values their peace and quiet.  Perhaps finding yourself a one bedroom apartment would be better

The landlady told us both we would both get evicted. I’ve been here a year I think housemate been here for 3 year. I got the warning because to the landlady it seems with all my constants complaining for minor things it seems I’m trying to get my housemate kicked out. 

But I only got a warning not housemate she’s loud at night and cooks food and smells up the basement.

• Author
Afsharr
1 hour ago, MsJayne said:

Person B is anti-social, so I’d suggest looking for a new place if the landlord doesn’t give B the “be quiet or get out” letter. Why did you get a warning? Was it a verbal or written warning, and was it to both tenants or just you? If it was to both I’d guess the landlord is just covering their butt so they can’t be accused of discrimination when they evict B. If it was just you then I suggest seeking advice from whatever body in the US deals with residential tenancy disputes. 

Verbal warning due to my constant complaining about my housemate some minor things they assume I’m trying to get her kicked out. It was only to me but both of us would get evicted if can coexist.

basil67
1 minute ago, Afsharr said:

The landlady told us both we would both get evicted. I’ve been here a year I think housemate been here for 3 year. I got the warning because to the landlady it seems with all my constants complaining for minor things it seems I’m trying to get my housemate kicked out

But I only got a warning not housemate she’s loud at night and cooks food and smells up the basement.

You said the housemate got told "she needs to be accommodating to me and needs to be quiet", so she did get a warning

But if now you're also complaining about her cooking, I can see why you got a warning.  When you share a house, you share cooking smells and noise.   I can only reiterate that you'd be better off renting a studio or one bedroom apartment.

MsJayne
5 hours ago, basil67 said:

I can only reiterate that you'd be better off renting a studio or one bedroom apartment.

Yep, I second this. If you're a person who needs a peaceful home environment it's worth an extra $50 a week in rent if it means you have a comfortable space to yourself.

• Like 1
Alpacalia

That's unfortunate when you are caught in the middle of noise issues with your roommate.

Of course your best bet is getting your own place but something tells me that's not a choice right now.

As far as the cooking smells, you may have to close up your area from the air ducts that go downstairs. Sometimes doors just don't block out the smell. It may seem like overkill but if you have to do it, it might help with the smell somewhat.

As far as the noise, you could either get some earplugs, good ones or you could take your case again to the landlady and explain your situation more in depth.

It's a hard situation and your landlady is trying to be diplomatic, but your roommate who has been there three years are not really in consideration of your feelings.  

Everyone has to make adjustments to the rules when living in such close quarters.

I'm surprised that the landlady, since the landlord lives there, doesn't mind the loud noise. In which case, without some changes from the top down, you will have to adjust to the noise and smells or look around for a new place to move.

We don't always have control when we are living in someone else's home. You could try talking it through with your housemate, but as someone who is already there three years, doesn't seem as if they feel they have to make any changes to accommodate anyone. My best hope is that the landlord backs you up soon to make changes in the noise issue or that you can block out the noise somehow.

Try white noise machines, sound proofing tiles etc. etc.  Get creative in the blockage near your room or a fan, good one to block the noise.  

The bottom line is that real roommates make changes when they have one and you go out of your way to find a way to accommodate your roommates need as well. Sorry that's not the case there.