Angry political posts

Angel29

I met some people years ago at a running group and we would hang out for drinks. I have not seen some of them for about 5 to 6 years, lockdown had an impact. I am getting fed up of them posting political articles and getting angry if anyone has the opposite view. They also condone violence. I understand everyone has their views but they insult anyone who questions them. Do you keep or delete people like this? It seems most of their posts are negative politics. I hate negative people. It is hard to like angry intimidating people.

ShyViolet

If someone has, what is in my view, abhorrent political opinions, I can't just ignore that and be friends with them.  For me that would be a deal breaker.  I wouldn't keep friends like that in my life.

• Like 1
basil67

I'm much the same as @ShyViolet   People who post things which are argumentative or hateful are not the kind of people I associate with.   Truth be told, I got in a bad headspace a few years back reading and reposting prolific political postings from people who I do agree with!   Too much shouting all around.

Are these people part of your life anymore?  If not, it's time to unfriend them

Edited by basil67
NuevoYorko
3 hours ago, ShyViolet said:

If someone has, what is in my view, abhorrent political opinions, I can't just ignore that and be friends with them.  For me that would be a deal breaker.  I wouldn't keep friends like that in my life.

Same.  When people say "it's just politics, let's not let it ruin our friendship," and they're supporting racist policies or similar, it goes far beyond "just politics."   I can't have people like that in my life.   

• Like 1

I live in a country with politics that is not nearly as wildly oppositional as the US, so honestly the vast majority of political views by people I know IRL doesn't really bother me. Some of my friends lean left and some lean right. I haven't really distanced myself from anyone due to their politics unless they are posting blatantly alt-right or far-right stuff, and fortunately there's few of that in my friendship circles, so I've only had to do it to one person.

I'd never bother engaging with someone about politics on social media, though - it's just a waste of time and never ends well. Either just unfollow their posts or remove them from your life entirely... there's never any point in arguing with them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a cousin on my FB that has fallen into the conspiracy theory and she posts things that are ridiculous. I simply went into my setup and indicated I do not want to see that type of post from her. It works well, I still get to see pictures she posts of her trips and family, just not the political non-sense stuff. 

• Like 1
Gebidozo

My mother and I have some serious political disagreements, to the point that I see fit to hide my true opinions concerning certain events happening in the world these days, because I don’t want to upset her.

My best friend has very different political views than I, honestly some of his views scare me. We openly talk about that and even make jokes (I told him that if he weren’t a businessman he’d be a dictator, and he laughed and half-jokingly agreed).

Most of my other friends are on the opposite political spectrum than that friend, and again too radical into the opposite direction for my taste, they say things sometimes that I consider insensitive, exaggerated, and plain dumb. 

None of them is truly radical, though. I wouldn’t be friends with either right wing or left wing radical, a religious fanatic, or a racist.

• Like 1