Love in the modern world

LillyAnnie

It's a weird world we live in. I'm only 19 and terrified I'll never find it. I want someone to complete me, someone I can wake up to or with. I don't care about sex; I want love. I keep getting used to it, and it's driving me crazy. I always set boundaries, and they always get crossed; I don't understand why I do it to myself. A man is out there for me, and I wish he'd find me; I thought I found him, but I was wrong. I feel like I'm at my worst; all I want is someone who won't leave me. My first will be the worst I've ever had, and it eats me up inside. Sometimes, I convince myself if I write and put myself out there, he'll find me, but I'm starting to lose hope. I don't want to be patient, but I know I must be. I'm not afraid of being alone now, but I fear it later. Has anyone else felt this way?

Gebidozo
25 minutes ago, LillyAnnie said:

I want someone to complete me

I understand the sentiment, but it’s better when you complete yourself, and think of your romantic person as someone who fits you, is compatible with you.

27 minutes ago, LillyAnnie said:

I don't care about sex; I want love.

Assuming you mean romantic love, it includes sex by definition. I think caring for sex is very important.

28 minutes ago, LillyAnnie said:

A man is out there for me, and I wish he'd find me; I thought I found him, but I was wrong.

He’ll find you, and you’ll find him. You’re only 19. I’ve found the woman of my dreams only recently, and I’m pushing 50. 

30 minutes ago, LillyAnnie said:

all I want is someone who won't leave me.

It’s natural to want that, but you can’t prevent anyone from leaving you. You’ll have to take that risk and accept the lack of 100% guarantees.

32 minutes ago, LillyAnnie said:

My first will be the worst I've ever had, and it eats me up inside.

I don’t understand what you mean. How do you know what your first man will be like if you don’t know him yet?

33 minutes ago, LillyAnnie said:

Has anyone else felt this way?

Fear of loneliness is natural and widespread, but that doesn’t mean it’s a good thing. From my experience, people who aren’t afraid of being alone (i.e. single) are stronger and happier than those who need someone else to be with them.

• Like 1
mark clemson
15 hours ago, LillyAnnie said:

all I want is someone who won't leave me.

Good news - this is actually not all that hard to find.

You are 19. Life is a marathon, not a sprint. Humans tend to be serial monogamists, so having had a few folks in your history where the relationship didn't go long term is very normal. Many if not the vast majority of "lifetime couples" will have had prior relationships.

It might not seem like it, but there is nothing to "eat yourself up inside" over in your situation. Just keep moving forward.

• Like 2