My family still talks to my cheating ex.

Penny4Tawts

Similar to WhyMe92 post.  My ex of 21 years, no marriage, cheated on me.  Obviously we went our separate ways, so I thought.  2 years later at a gathering I find out my family has been talking with him and seeing him.  My family lives in several other cities.  WTH?  They felt guilty when telling me.  So they were deliberately keeping it a secret.  And knew I'd be upset about it.  I find out from my family, according to him, he didn't cheat on me.   So now I'm wondering is he manipulating them?  Why?  To get back at me, when he's the one who cheated?  Why did he steal my family?  and why did they fall for it?

I'm confused and really mad.  What can I do to fix this?  Other than tell them where to go and how to get there.  Which I've already done.  Am I wrong?   Because I don't believe that I'm wrong.

• Shocked 1
  • Author
Penny4Tawts

It was emotional infidelity.  I requested he not see her anymore because I felt our relationship/intimacy was threatened by it.  He continued to meet with her. 

Do you have children together?

21 years is a very long time to be part of a family. If your family want to keep in touch with him l don't see a problem. You cannot control other people and who they want to keep in touch with. 

I left my ex husband after 15 years. It destroyed him at the time. His family still kept in touch with me and he kept in touch with my family. 

Just tell your family if they want to keep in touch with him it's fine but you don't want to know the details of their conversation. That's between them. 

He can tell them he did not cheat all he wants, that does not matter, you're not together anymore. It's their time they're wasting listenning to him. You should not waste time on what people talk about. Live your best life and let them talk. 

• Like 1

Understandable that you feel betrayed, not because of him keeping in touch with your family, but because they've all kept it a secret and so to you it feels like they're taking sides. Just my personal opinion, but I believe that when there's a bad break up close family and close friends have an obligation to have your back and cool off relationships with the ex-partner. I don't mean cease all contact, but all of them should have shut him down when he started talking about your relationship. He's needling you by proxy and they're not seeing it for what it is. Very frustrating, but maybe the best thing to do is ignore it, because interfering in your family relationships is probably his goal and you shouldn't let him get away with it. 

2 hours ago, Penny4Tawts said:

According to him, he didn't cheat on me.  

He doesn't consider emotional cheating as cheating. Lots of people don't. Lots of people think if there is no intercourse then there is no cheating.  You think differently, l think differently. We can't have people change their mine on what's cheating. 

It's been 2 years. Let it go.

• Like 1

This is something you have no control over. Now that it's all out in the open, hopefully they will feel guilty about it enough to stop talking with him. I'm sure they are feeling pretty stupid.

I got plenty of family that are divorced due to cheating and whats not, and everybody talks to everybody! When you spent 20+ years in a family, like your ex did, it's normal to keep in touch. 

I speak to all my uncles, even the divorced &  cheating ones. I have nothing to do with how their marriage turned out! In my book he's my uncle, he pushed me on my swing, he bought me candy, he helped me learn to ride that big bike.

At first auntie diane was not happy we still were close to him and then she accepted she can't earase 20+ years of our childhood just cause. And she can't ask her siblings to earase 20+ years of friendship with him either.

mark clemson
19 hours ago, Penny4Tawts said:

Why did he steal my family?  and why did they fall for it?

They knew him for 21 years and since you stayed with him that long, he's clearly likeable enough. YOU have a huge problem with him, which is understandable if he cheated on him, but they clearly do not.

You are making yourself the center of a big drama here, but only in your own mind. I guess that's again somewhat understandable under the circumstances, but -  he didn't "steal" anything, nor are they "falling for" something. They probably just like talking to him occasionally. Just because you are 100% done with him doesn't mean they have decided to be.

As others have pointed out, this is well within the boundaries of normal behavior.

Edited by mark clemson
  • Like 1