Platonic Friendship

1. Can men and women experience a true platonic friendship?

Absolutely. However it depends on the belief system of the individual. There are some, moreso males, who don't believe in strictly platonic reltaionships and therefore they would have difficulty engaging in them.

Some of my very best friendships are with females who I have known for years. And of those, the very best are with females I have dated and who have moved on. The dating experience perhaps didn't catch fire but rather provided the landscape for a rich, rewarding closeness not sprinkled with fireworks, sex or other romantic trappings but with the reality of good, strong friendship and respect.

Each has gone his way long ago but the friendship remains, as true as it gets.

2. Will under currents of romance or emotional attachment prevent a platonic friendship?

Not at all. In some cases perhaps, yes. Undercurrents of various sorts can prevent all kinds of friendships. But romance or emotional attachment of the romantic variety do not have to be a part of the equation.

Perhaps I am terribly blessed. Maybe I am not a good example. But the way you have asked your questions, you imply asking if these things are possible and I am living proof they are.

I will relish the day when asking these questions will not be necessary.

Tony,

I like to think it is possible to have a true plantonic friendship between men and woman. I am glad to hear stories of it working.

Thanks!

Mike

1. Can men and women experience a true platonic friendship? Absolutely. However it depends on the belief system of the individual. There are some, moreso males, who don't believe in strictly platonic reltaionships and therefore they would have difficulty engaging in them. Some of my very best friendships are with females who I have known for years. And of those, the very best are with females I have dated and who have moved on. The dating experience perhaps didn't catch fire but rather provided the landscape for a rich, rewarding closeness not sprinkled with fireworks, sex or other romantic trappings but with the reality of good, strong friendship and respect. Each has gone his way long ago but the friendship remains, as true as it gets. 2. Will under currents of romance or emotional attachment prevent a platonic friendship? Not at all. In some cases perhaps, yes. Undercurrents of various sorts can prevent all kinds of friendships. But romance or emotional attachment of the romantic variety do not have to be a part of the equation.

Perhaps I am terribly blessed. Maybe I am not a good example. But the way you have asked your questions, you imply asking if these things are possible and I am living proof they are. I will relish the day when asking these questions will not be necessary.